DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

5 hours ago, twiztor said:

17 years ago this week:

edit: ugh this Nitro also features the pinata-on-a-pole match and Ed Ferrera doing his tasteless JR impression while debuting Dr. Death.

Greatest night in the history of our sport. 

I never understood why Doc went along with joining some guy, making fun of one of his (supposedly) best friends. That was a dick move. 

5 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I hope the lack of a blue check mark means that's not a real account.

I think we've had enough bad news in 2016.

That is the legit Vader account

But it is also Vader who desperately craves attention and worked his way into a big UK pay day this year (while - shocker - dicking over the promotion)

So while I totally believe his health is shitty - I also take everything he says with about 2 tons of salt

Has Vader ever mentioned heart disease before?

If he was given two years to live, he's in an advanced stage of heart failure.  Which would most likely mean he's had symptoms for quite a while.  Per my wife, you probably are only going to get the "You have x months to live" speech out of the blue if you don't go to the doctor regularly and have been ignoring symptoms for awhile.

On the other hand, something like 90% of patients in the advanced stage of heart failure die within a year, so Vader's outlook isn't as grim as it could be.

Watched the State of the Union this morning. You have Steph calling Smackdown the B-Show and Bryan coming back by pointing out that the Raw title was created out of thin air and Owens had the title handed to him by HHH and has never had a clean finish as champ. How are they letting him call the Universal title complete bs?

When Steph/Mick talked up the talent on Raw, Bryan pointed out that they have no idea how to use anyone, no one is better from being on Raw and Claudio (yes, he called him Claudio before correcting himself) and Sami want to go to Smackdown where they will be used properly. 

Is this what talking smack is every week?

2 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

You haven't watched Talking Smack even once yet? Even the weakest shows have been solid fun. Miz vs. Bryan has been the highlight, especially the first time around when things got so heated.

2 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

Watched the State of the Union this morning. You have Steph calling Smackdown the B-Show and Bryan coming back by pointing out that the Raw title was created out of thin air and Owens had the title handed to him by HHH and has never had a clean finish as champ. How are they letting him call the Universal title complete bs?

When Steph/Mick talked up the talent on Raw, Bryan pointed out that they have no idea how to use anyone, no one is better from being on Raw and Claudio (yes, he called him Claudio before correcting himself) and Sami want to go to Smackdown where they will be used properly. 

It isn't the first time Bryan mentioned TNA by name, he loves needling Renee about her relationship with Ambrose which to my knowledge has never been publicly acknowledged on WWE TV, and she needles back by asking him questions that, as kayfabe GM, Bryan should know, or at least have an idea of, and as someone not actually writing the shows, he's just gotta shrug his shoulders at.

It's pretty much entirely unscripted, and it's a lot of fun getting to see people doing their characters without having to filter it through the writing team.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Does Josh Matthews make comments about things his employer specifically told him not to comment on?

Yeah, yeah, I know what you're getting at, Styles is a much better commentator, but the guy did himself in there...

14 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Yeah, I don't think what he said is worth getting fired over... but he was told specifically by his employer that politics was off-limits, so he kind of had it coming.

13 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Yeah, I'm really crushed the misogynist who didn't want to follow his employer's instructions is out of a job.

Did any of you read his response? He blanked and fucked up live- this was an off incident. Zero tolerance tends to do more harm than good and why he lost other jobs over this is weird.

This isn't a guy known for problems. I get he screwed up, but a fine maybe, have him donate his  check, but firing him over it was a tad extreme for one lousy joke he dropped on the fly because he was caught off guard.

7 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Greatest night in the history of our sport. 

I never understood why Doc went along with joining some guy, making fun of one of his (supposedly) best friends. That was a dick move. 

Money? Being that it was WCW, I could only imagine what Doc got paid.

I also seem to recall rumors about heat between Doc and JR after Williams got knocked out and injured in The Brawl for All, which was basically designed to get him over. Maybe there was some truth to it.

59 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Did any of you read his response? He blanked and fucked up live- this was an off incident. Zero tolerance tends to do more harm than good and why he lost other jobs over this is weird.

This isn't a guy known for problems. I get he screwed up, but a fine maybe, have him donate his  check, but firing him over it was a tad extreme for one lousy joke he dropped on the fly because he was caught off guard.

Yes, I read his response.  Regardless of why he said it, he and everyone else was told specifically do not talk about politics.  Gabe had every right to fire him for not doing what he was told.  

1 hour ago, DTTW said:

Yeah, I know when I have a brain fart, I just default to the most disgusting, sexist shit possible.  Just yesterday, in a meeting, instead of asking a coworker a question, I blurted out something about her "sweet sweet snatch."

• Like 11

53 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Yes, I read his response.  Regardless of why he said it, he and everyone else was told specifically do not talk about politics.  Gabe had every right to fire him for not doing what he was told.  

Not only was he told not to talk about it, but he's basically rubbing it in Gabe's face as he is saying "I know I'm not supposed to talk about this, GABE, but..." 

I dunno if that's his announcing gimmick in Evolve, but he went on multiple times about not supposed to say something or talk about a subject and really those alone if they were legit would be enough to fire him even without the political line. 

This Vader thing is like the parable of Siegfried and Fafnir the Dragon, where now that Vader knows the hour of his death, he's basically immortal until then, right? Right?

(Fuck man, Vader is my favorite big man of all time and I don't want him to die T^T)

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, I know when I have a brain fart, I just default to the most disgusting, sexist shit possible.  Just yesterday, in a meeting, instead of asking a coworker a question, I blurted out something about her "sweet sweet snatch."

This is sig-worthy. Really nice work.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DTTW said:

That is total bullshit, watch the clip. He gives this big set up about how he was told not to talk about politics, but nobody tells Joey what to do, and then he makes the joke. No chance he was caught off guard.