DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

First time ever Canada has led the medal table in any olympics

This really is the golden age of Canadian winter sport. It's amazing we managed to host Montreal in summer and Calgary in winter and not win a single gold in either, but the long-term effect of that was really seen in Vancouver and now here.

EDIT: I think we're actually second right now, but that's... just fine. :-)

Wow, Sweden just beat England in opening round women's curling. Not sure if that qualifies as an upset - the announcer kept saying England won the World Championships but I recall Sweden winning Gold in Vancouver. Still, hope England gets it together 'cause I want to see more of the British ladies. Eve Muirhead - who had a shit game - was my Olympics crush in 2010 and amazingly she's gotten even better looking in the last four years.

First time ever Canada has led the medal table in any olympics

This really is the golden age of Canadian winter sport. It's amazing we managed to host Montreal in summer and Calgary in winter and not win a single gold in either, but the long-term effect of that was really seen in Vancouver and now here.

EDIT: I think we're actually second right now, but that's... just fine. :-)

The official Olympic medal list is listed by gold medals first, not total medals. That puts Canada tied with THE MIGHTY DUTCH at three medals. Tiebreaker after that is silver medals, where we have them 3-2. We also caught the Dutch and Norweigians in total medals as well, all with 7.

Wow, Sweden just beat England in opening round women's curling. Not sure if that qualifies as an upset - the announcer kept saying England won the World Championships but I recall Sweden winning Gold in Vancouver. Still, hope England gets it together 'cause I want to see more of the British ladies. Eve Muirhead - who had a shit game - was my Olympics crush in 2010 and amazingly she's gotten even better looking in the last four years.

I'm fairly sure none of the British curlers are English.

Steve Armitage can't tell Asians apart even with numbers on their helmets. "The Korean...there's two of them.  The Chinese!"

I'm just happy he seems to have given up not being able to handle pronunciation of vowels in Japanese.

In the old guy's defense, the American uniform and the Korean uniform had me sort of confused too. Plus, there was the "Russian" guy who was actually a Korean who took a payoff to convert since he couldn't make the Korean team for the last Olympics. 

Women's ski slopestyle was shockingly sloppy.  I say shockingly since it is the Olympics and all.  I haven't read this thread enough to see if it is spoiler free, I'll just say at least 30% of the runs ended with someone falling/crashing/failing in some fashion.

Finals of the Men's Halfpipe Snowboarding are today around Noon EST.  I may have to fake a stomach ailment at lunchtime and go home.

Naturally I am pulling for Shaun White, but I can't wait to see Ayumu Hirano rip it and just leave it on the snow.

If you bother to watch Prime Time coverage:

Costas down!  The eye infection went to both eyes, and he's effectively shut down.

The downside though, Lauer is taking over.

They have Al Michaels on the daytime coverage, god forbid they let him do it.