DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Women's ski slopestyle was shockingly sloppy.  I say shockingly since it is the Olympics and all.  I haven't read this thread enough to see if it is spoiler free, I'll just say at least 30% of the runs ended with someone falling/crashing/failing in some fashion.

I only saw one or two runs before having to leave for work this morning but I would guess that slopestyle has the problem that many of the newer sports of these games have: their is hardly any depth of athletes as there are hardly any people on the world competing in them. For example there was an Austrian freestyle skier who would have qualified for the games because she managed to place twice in the top twenty of world cup events. The problem? Both times there were less than twenty competitors. Therefore I have problems taking most freestyle skiing and snowboarding events really serious.

If you bother to watch Prime Time coverage:

Costas down!  The eye infection went to both eyes, and he's effectively shut down.

The downside though, Lauer is taking over.

They have Al Michaels on the daytime coverage, god forbid they let him do it.

You can't have a guy who's *actively making bets* on the air, host the Olympics.  

(Well, I mean, I would, but... you know, the world sucks.)

The wipeouts in women's ski slopestyle are some of the nastiest looking shit.

Then again if you volunteer to jump off a mountain backwards, these things happen.

Yuki Tsubota's crash on her last run, when she was going all out to try and get on the podium, was scary as shit. It looked like she blew out her knee, while simultaneously smacking her skull into that same knee.

Slopestyle on skis looks way more dangerous than snowboards. They don't seem to have near the control or are able to get as much height. It didn't help that the course got so choppy by the time it came down to the final runs. That Dara Howell put up 94 in that sludge is amazing.

I just saw the 7-point end in the US/GB curling match. It's really crazy.

The US had two really bad stones. First, they accidentally bumped into their own guard. It wasn't deadly by any means but it was a wasted opportunity. The second was just a pure whiff when trying to knock a GB stone out of the scoring zone. It was sort of miraculous they missed, actually -- like managing to roll a bowling ball right down the middle of an 10-8 split. One centimeter in either direction and something gets bumped.

GB, on the other hand, was just fantastic. They couldn't miss on any shot they wanted. A phalanx of US stones protected the target really well.

The final two stones were great. The US skip has been brutal these Olympics. But her final rock was good and could have limited the damages to two. Unfortunately, too much of her stone was left unprotected and it was a fairly easy bump with the GB hammer.

I swear I have never seen the US - men's or women's - win a single Curling match

I'm just glad that, as every other countrys' curling team gets younger and more athletic, the US mens team still looks like a bunch of doughy freshman frat boys.

I still have a chance!

Shaun White needs to go ahead and pull the Ricky Vaughn in the last 10 minutes of Major League II.  For him that would be letting the hair grow back.  Seriously, he probably just had an off night.  Can he come back and win gold at 32? I don't know.

• Like 1

I'm just glad that, as every other countrys' curling team gets younger and more athletic, the US mens team still looks like a bunch of doughy freshman frat boys.

That's not just a problem on the men's side. Every other country seemingly has a team of fit, young, hot women - okay, that last part is sorta irrelevant but obvious nonetheless - and our team continues to be a team of Marges from that curling episode of The Simpsons. Like, I'm sure Deb McCormick is a perfectly nice lady (she's part Canadian, after all) but she was the atrocious skip from our last place finish in Vancouver and here she is again whiffing on shots as the #2/vice-skip or whatever you call it.

I watched both our ladies matches online when I got home from work today and, honestly, I'm starting to wonder how we even qualify for the Olympics. Okay, the game with the Russians was close through 5 ends but that was mostly due to the Russians messing up (nerves?). The game against GB was an utter debacle. And, sure, GB made some pretty insane shots - right after that ridiculous 7 spot, we were set up to get 3 back when EVE~! hit a crazy tap-draw that limited the damage to 1 - but how do you lose 12-3 after only 6 ends?

About the Britain-US match, I dunno if this aired live but on the stream the British team got a full Roddy Piper Wrestlemania I entrance when they came out. Not sure why they got that but it was really cool.

Oh and speaking of the Russian women, "adorable" really doesn't do them justice. It's like Russia decided to train a team of Maxim models to throw stones. I saw a couple people mention one of them posed in lingerie, I had to Google who you all were talking about because literally any one of them could pose for magazines.

YES! I hope Rippa has a DVR or bad insomnia because USA Curling finally gets off the schneid with the Frat Boyz pulling out a win over Denmark. It only took three days into the competition but we finally taste victory!

As an aside, I kinda like that our team is a bunch of schlumpy looking joes instead of the Affliction-wearing muscleheads that Canada seems to employ. There's something oddly comforting about the fact the American skip still wears a Trucker Hat five years after they went out of style.