DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Caught the end of that Canada-Germany curling match as I was getting up. The baseball analogy is apt as it was like a game where neither bullpen could shut the other team down so nobody can ever manage to pull away for long.

Other observations: Wouldn't surprise me if one of the Canadian curlers got nabbed for PEDs. Good grief are they jacked.

Also, while it's nice to see an old guy in the Oympics, the German skip totally looks like a villain from a Diehard movie.

Heh. We nearly had a Janet Jackson moment at the Olympics.. as a russian speedskater, exhausted after a 3,000 meter skate that would end up getting her the bronze medal, was overheating and unzipped her suit down to the belly button to get some air... while she was on the track :P

She quickly realized the faux pas and zipped back up.

Caught the end of that Canada-Germany curling match as I was getting up. The baseball analogy is apt as it was like a game where neither bullpen could shut the other team down so nobody can ever manage to pull away for long.

Other observations: Wouldn't surprise me if one of the Canadian curlers got nabbed for PEDs. Good grief are they jacked.

Also, while it's nice to see an old guy in the Oympics, the German skip totally looks like a villain from a Diehard movie.

John Jahr is awesome.  At one point after when Germany was down by 3, he took out all of Canadas stones, turned to the camera, smiled and winked (his admittedly dreamy baby blue eyes) like "don't worry, I got this."

Downhill skiing is always life threatening. Hell you could probably make a case that it's one of the 5 most dangerous sports on earth. Those people have absolutely no fear.

Downhill skiing is dangerous but not that dangerous. The last fatality was, I think, 18 years ago. As a comparison in 2012 there were two fatilities in freestyle skiing. Not to talk about motorsports...

Ski jumping might also look stupid and there are bad injuries happening from time to time but casulties are a really rare thing. In 2008 a young German died and after that you have to go back 30 years to get a fatality.