DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Gonna take a shot at letting Raw record tonight. I know that I'm weak-willed and easily led(tm Regal) and I doubt it'll last long, but:

a ) I don't get enough sleep in general and turning in early would do me some good

b ) Fast-forwarding through promo segments will help me get through the show faster. I was already at the point where I listened to the show from another room during non-wrestling segments.

So, yeah, see you next week.

Smart choice. Believe me, Raw is much more enjoyable when you skip 50%.

I usually start the show about two hours in and am usually done watching within fifteen minutes of the show going off the air.  Tonight's show should be especially quick with all the Authority crap to fast forward.

I could count the number of DevCorp matches I've seen on one hand, but they have some of the greatest individual names in wrestling history:  Max Smashmaster, Blaster McMassive, and Flex Rumblecrunch.

Their manager (Sidney Bakabella?) is really sharp/quick witted. I went to that Chikara return show last Spring and he was hurling insults at fans left and right before the show. No one could get the better of him. Definitely Clifton-esque. Might have been my favorite part of an otherwise mediocre show.

How has Chikara been since they returned?  I haven't seen a show since they shut down for awhile.  My interest was waning anyway, and the whole time travel/76 page pdf/rumors about Quack kinda pushed me away.  I like long-term booking, but I also feel like Chikara's gotten too "insidery" (using an entire year just to set up the following year is a bit too much).

How has Chikara been since they returned?  I haven't seen a show since they shut down for awhile.  My interest was waning anyway, and the whole time travel/76 page pdf/rumors about Quack kinda pushed me away.  I like long-term booking, but I also feel like Chikara's gotten too "insidery" (using an entire year just to set up the following year is a bit too much).

They weren't able to fully capitalize on the momentum they gained from Quack's second interview with Cabana. I think a lot of people were ready and excited for the new "season" (myself included), but because that first show was kinda disapointing, it just hurt them. It's too bad because that building was packed during that show. Lots of first-time attendees. 

King of Trios was a chance to create some buzz again, but the interest died down again as the teams were being announced.

They just don't have the roster they used to have. I think Ashley Remington is pretty fun to watch though.

It's a sign that RAW is too long when they can do a top 10 moments list for every episode, right?

#1 The Main Event

#2 The Opening Segment

#3 John Cena does something

#4 Bray Wyatt rambles in the dark

#5 The second recap of the opening segment

#6 Dean Ambrose makes wacky faces

#7 A promo that aired exclusively on the app that was then shown before a match

#8 The first recap of the opening segment

#9 Random person seemingly getting a push wins a match

#10 Promo for something happening in a few weeks

Did I miss anything?

• Like 1

It's a sign that RAW is too long when they can do a top 10 moments list for every episode, right?

#1 The Main Event

#2 The Opening Segment

#3 John Cena does something

#4 Bray Wyatt rambles in the dark

#5 The second recap of the opening segment

#6 Dean Ambrose makes wacky faces

#7 A promo that aired exclusively on the app that was then shown before a match

#8 The first recap of the opening segment

#9 Random person seemingly getting a push wins a match

#10 Promo for something happening in a few weeks

Did I miss anything?

You left Roman Reigns off the list. You were supposed to make him look strong. 

• Like 1

Speaking of RAW tonight, commentary might he be even worse with Lawler in the hospital. Booker T is taking his place tonight.

HA HA MAGGLE.

SHUCKY DUCKY QUACK QUACK.

Jerry Lawler not being there can only be an improvement.

• Like 1

Gonna take a shot at letting Raw record tonight. I know that I'm weak-willed and easily led(tm Regal) and I doubt it'll last long, but:

a ) I don't get enough sleep in general and turning in early would do me some good

b ) Fast-forwarding through promo segments will help me get through the show faster. I was already at the point where I listened to the show from another room during non-wrestling segments.

So, yeah, see you next week.

Smart choice. Believe me, Raw is much more enjoyable when you skip 50%.

I usually start the show about two hours in and am usually done watching within fifteen minutes of the show going off the air. Tonight's show should be especially quick with all the Authority crap to fast forward.

I've already decided to skip Raw tonight. Here's what I have on tap.

Silent Night, Deadly Night

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

The Usual Suspects

Just to pipe in on the "long matches are icky/the bomb" discussion from a while back, Bockwinkel/Hennig from the the AWA New Years Showboat show is still the best 60 minute draw I've ever seen. If you don't like that one, we have very little to discuss.

Except Marc Mero was pretty much born to play Johnny B Badd

And get paid enough to permanently piss off Mick Foley and Steve Austin.

Being fair on this, apparently it wasn't the money that pissed Foley and Austin off as much as the specific situation regarding their signing: Foley's said in his comedy show- when he and Austin were in negotiations with WWE, they both pushed for a WCW-style guaranteed contract, only to be rebuked by the company, under the claim "we give opportunities, not guarantees"- so both guys ended up taking the downside contracts WWF gave instead.

Two days after Foley signed his deal with WWF, Marc Mero was signed to WWF and given the company's first-ever guaranteed contract. So...yeah.