DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Pillman, Austin, Dustin, Road Warriors, and...Davey Boy?? I don't recall him being in  War Games. Was it that uneventful, just that bad, or old age?

Possibly all three. 1993.

Okay, that excuses it a bit. I was still in Basic Training in Ft Jackson at the time of the PPV.

Worse.  It was Shockmaster'd.

But this doesn't. I have seen that "promo" so many times now, how could I forget? :blink:

ECW is to WWE what Kids In The Hall is to Saturday Night Live/Lorne.

I actually backspaced over "unless you count ECW" because it didn't feel right. It never felt like Lorne was exploiting the Kids, or that he was whoring them out. On the other hand, he was responsible for their broader success with most people not knowing.

Though I will say that in the 90s, the Kids and the Harts did combine to reach Peak Canada. That's as good as it will ever get up there. Even Bubbles is like a Cena to their Austin, Rock and NWO.

• Like 1

I think Brock's contract almost prevents him from having a long run.  As limited as his appearances are, it's hard to see the company sidelining the belt.  They can't even put Brock on RAW regularly, much less Smackdown or a house show.  And paying him for extra appearances probably isn't going to happen at this point in time, given the company's financial position and Brock's average salary per appearance. 

I know people argue that the world title should be defended less (to make title defenses more meaningful), and that the company could use this situation to shift the focus to the secondary belts and elevate them.  But, really, has the WWE shown any inclination to do that in recent memory?  Secondary titles generally go to wrestlers the company has no plans for past the midcard.  Feuds over the US and I-C titles are generally treated as unimportant.  In the territories, you had guys like Mr. Perfect and Nikita Koloff holding secondary belts while feuding with the upper carders.  Now, it's generally career midcarder vs. career midcarder,  It's practically become a stigma to become IC or US champ, since your odds of getting pushed higher up the card while you hold the belt are virtually nil.

Also, I think the company still views the world champ as a ratings draw.  That's a large part of why Vince shifted the product away from squash matches and infrequent tv defenses.  Ratings.  Especially with pro football about to begin - a traditional low period for ratings - I don't see him keeping Brock off tv so they can push a Zigger-Miz feud.  That  will last a week before Vince panics and puts Cena front and center with the belt again.

Finally, even though the internet doesn't like Cena, he's still the face of the company, moves a lot of merch, and is the closest thing they have to a draw in this era.  Letting a part-timer squash your ace too many times doesn't do you a lot of good in the long run. Cena didn't lose a competitive match.  He was squashed by Lesnar.  That almost necessitates getting his win back fairly quickly, particularly since he's still working a program with Brock.

• Like 2

Matt, did you give a crap about Zayn/Steen interacting before NXT - why or what not?

For science.

You're saying that they know each other?

I thought they just sort of look like one another what with the beards and facial expressions and it'd be funny. He's like the Hulk version of Zayn.

I think Brock's contract almost prevents him from having a long run.  As limited as his appearances are, it's hard to see the company sidelining the belt.  They can't even put Brock on RAW regularly, much less Smackdown or a house show.  And paying him for extra appearances probably isn't going to happen at this point in time, given the company's financial position and Brock's average salary per appearance. 

They taped a bunch of backstage stuff with Brock so that they could show him on TV each week without him actually being there. They could just do that each time they bring him in.

Steen is Superbad Jonah Hill. Zayn is 21 Jump Street Jonah Hill.

I always thought of it as Steen is Knocked Up Seth Rogen, Zayn is Green Hornet Seth Rogen.

You talking physical appearance or career decisions?

So do we think Cena walking out as champion at NOC will help subscriptions or lose more? I cannot fathom anyone who is on the fence seeing this and deciding to give WWE more money.

I think it's definitely more likely to lose than gain network subs, but who knows to what degree? There's probably a big enough anti-Cena contingent out there that knows unsubscribing is a really good way to stick it to WWE right now to make a difference, but they could just be all talk as usual.

I would laugh if I saw some "If Cena wins, we don't renew our network subscription" signs at NOC, though.

I could write four paragraphs on this or just say...nothing they can do (outside of an industry changing angle or return of the Rock to regular competition) will pop any network numbers. Cena/Lesnar/Reigns as champ doesn't matter, what you have is about it outside of extraordinary circumstances.