DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MARCH 2024

Shartnado

Homicide's only AEW appearance (in person at least) was doing a run-in at Grand Slam 2, wasn't it? He showed up in footage of Eddy winning the NJPW Strong title celebrating the win, but that's it.

Now, right before the first match of Zero Hour started, I was watching an ETU show (from New Jersey) in IWTV, and the main event was Santana vs Homicide. They were saying Homicide's wrestling anniversary is tomorrow (Tuesday). His 30th anniversary. It ended about sixty seconds before the ring entrances for the ZH opener started, almost as if someone backstage at Revolution was watching it live and didn't want to miss the finish.

It was a really good. Billie Starkz vs Gabriel Skye was fantastic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

per Fightful, Mike Santana is now gone from AEW. He's off the roster page and not because his name starts with The.

Man, as far as overvaluing yourself is concerned, that's up there with QT Marshall quitting for a few weeks because getting easy heat in Mexico had him convinced he could be a star.  Seriously, I'm happy the guy is in recovery and wish him the best but god damn, nothing about Santana ever convinced me his ceiling is higher than 1/2 of Proud & Powerful.  God bless the guy if he proves me wrong but still....damn.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7

Not sure what went down with Proud and Powerful, they were featured early on but never got a memorable run in the tag scene and then had that ugly and mostly off-screen split. Tbh I have no idea what Santana's potential is as a singles guy especially if he's trying to bulk up. Could be he needs to do a tour of the indies to get his feet under him again like McIntyre

If Ortiz is still under contract I hope he gets to do some character babyface stuff, I think he'd excel as a goofy-to-violent midcard guy

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wonder how much longer Ortiz will be All Elite. He doesn't really have much value if he's not tagging with Santana. 

Which is sad. He really lost his funk over the years. Early on he had such a dynamic personality of over the top selling and zaniness. kind of like how Juice Robinson has such a wild demeanor. Hopefully he can get his groove back. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Not sure what went down with Proud and Powerful, they were featured early on but never got a memorable run in the tag scene and then had that ugly and mostly off-screen split. Tbh I have no idea what Santana's potential is as a singles guy especially if he's trying to bulk up. Could be he needs to do a tour of the indies to get his feet under him again like McIntyre

If Ortiz is still under contract I hope he gets to do some character babyface stuff, I think he'd excel as a goofy-to-violent midcard guy

Proud and Powerful had that 5 star parking lot brawl match with Best Friends.  They should've run that back for the tag titles as both teams deserved it.  I remember Santana hitting a dive on the Young Bucks off a forklift or something -- maybe the same one that had Orange Cassidy inexplicably hanging out in a bathroom backstage.  Santana had some money promos on Jericho where he mugged whatever for the camera whenever Jericho talked.  It was great.  He was the Shawn not the Janetty of Proud and Powerful.  I can see wanting to bet on yourself.  I hope he succeeds. 

Ortiz has a spot as Eddie's friend that people can massacre.  He does gotta go back to goofy though.  That stuff with the claws and the stiff body splash were great. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Not sure what went down with Proud and Powerful

Essentially, Santana wanted to be bigger in wrestling and Ortiz was happy making steady money as a team.  Neither guy is wrong.  You can try break out on your own and be Shawn Michaels or you can stay on track as the Rock n Roll Express. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Essentially, Santana wanted to be bigger in wrestling and Ortiz was happy making steady money as a team.  Neither guy is wrong.  You can try break out on your own and be Shawn Michaels or you can stay on track as the Rock n Roll Express. 

You're entirely correct here, but how good their team was and how much I truly enjoyed them has me kiiiiinda wanting to say "Uh, sir, Santana is wrong." But that's a total knee jerk reaction. And it's no ill-will or doubt in the guy's abilities, I hope he headlines a WK or WM or whatever he wants to do, I just think they had a lot of stories left to tell together.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Octopus said:

Which is sad. He really lost his funk over the years. Early on he had such a dynamic personality of over the top selling and zaniness. kind of like how Juice Robinson has such a wild demeanor. Hopefully he can get his groove back. 

I saw him wrestle Bryan Keith on a Revolver show last year and he really whipped ass.  Everything looked crisp an he was really connecting with the crowd.  I don't know if he's a better small-room guy or if a change of scenery did him good but I think he still has his fastball when he wants to.

Re: the split I don't think Santana was wrong but I do think he was unrealistic about what his prospects are as a singles wrestler.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Re: the split I don't think Santana was wrong but I do think he was unrealistic about what his prospects are as a singles wrestler.

Agreed, especially if there were no plans to push him in an already crowded field

Were he and Ortiz on the outs so bad they couldn’t do a major feud? I think I read they had their blow off on a random Rampage

• Like 1

Yeah, his ceiling was right there. He was either tag competitor or he was ROH bound. This will be better. 

Ortiz was always my guy from that group, he had/has personality and that counts for a lot. At the same time I'm not sure about his chances either. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

meanwhile in AEW Drama... Sammy Guevara got suspended over the Jeff Hardy match

Why suspend him and not send him somewhere to get trained on how to work more safely?

• Like 1

Why? Unless there was something we didn't see or info that came out after the fact, it looked like an unfortunate botch where someone got hurt. Definitely not a deliberate attempt to injure or working negligently. I don't see anything either guy could've done to make that spot safer other than not doing it. The only thing I can think of is that Jeff didn't call for the GTH when they went home early, so if Sammy made that call by himself, yeah that would be pretty negligent.

I realize they’ll have to swallow some pride after dubbing him a pillar, but it is beyond past time to cut bait on Sammy. It would be in everybody’s best interests for him to go somewhere else.

• Like 7

They already pretty much gave up on Jungle Boy, so it shouldn't be too hard. I don't think this particular botch was Sammy's fault, but I do agree he's midcard for life regardless.

They've got a new load-bearing Swerve and Ospreay they can keep the roof up with.

• Like 1

I don’t think they’ve given up on Jack. His heel run was just taking off before All In. They’ve just got him laying low until the heat dies off. Sending him to NJPW for a while where he can remind people how good he is without CM Punk chants is a smart move.

I’d bet anything he’s back on AEW TV with the Bucks by this summer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, EVA said:

I realize they’ll have to swallow some pride after dubbing him a pillar, but it is beyond past time to cut bait on Sammy. It would be in everybody’s best interests for him to go somewhere else.

kinda wild that the WWE sorta fell into a profoundly unlikable Dominik Mysterio, and meanwhile AEW also has an unlikable Hispanic wrestler who can do a lot, and they keep trying to push Sammy as a face.

• Thanks 1

Fightful reports the suspension is because Guevara did not follow concussion protocol by continuing the match when it was obvious that Hardy was injured.

Sammy has maturity issues, though it seems he has improved in some aspects (becoming more responsible as a husband and father is a plus, and he seems like a decent person outside of the ring). Releasing him would be bad optics since he just became a dad, and it may lead to Tay leaving as well.

Honestly, if I were Tony I would have an older wrestler or official.backstage (Danielson, Mox, Jerry Lynn) work with him and go over proper protocols and the like. He seemed to get that message after the Kingston fight in terms of attitude and saying stupid stuff, but now he needs to focus on in ring.

• Like 2

I was gonna say, it's not like AEW ever gave a fuck about how matches were finished when someone got concussed before, especially with a Hardy involved.

2 hours ago, EVA said:

I don’t think they’ve given up on Jack. His heel run was just taking off before All In. They’ve just got him laying low until the heat dies off. Sending him to NJPW for a while where he can remind people how good he is without CM Punk chants is a smart move.

I’d bet anything he’s back on AEW TV with the Bucks by this summer.

Jack Perry is probably not even a top 20 talent in AEW currently

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

Wasn’t Sammy in the match with Matt too? Maybe Sammy has a subconscious desire to kill the Hardy’s 

Or a conscious desire. We don't know!