DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2024 Wrestling Talk

7 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

I just heard Tenay explain that Psicosis means "Psycho" in Spanish on a random SN episode. Bless that guy.

I do think his Lucha Libre and the Mexican Luchadores series that ran on Nitro in 1997 was probably genuinely important for getting a non-negligible amount of WCW fans to watch more lucha. A kid from Acworth or Biloxi or somewhere saw those segments and is now a huge CMLL fan or something. So that's cool! 

I wasn't a kid,but I am from Biloxi. And yes seeing the Luchadors on Nitro then moving to an state where I got Galavision on basic cable made me into a huge CMLL fan for about 10 years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Maybe he’s only allowed one retro gimmick at a time and they prefer IRS? 

I enjoyed Bray Wyatt for many reasons, but one of them was an early NXT promo I caught somewhere online (or maybe back when I had the Network) that starts with "My daddy was a Captain..." I always thought that was an awesome nod.

• Like 1

i just want to pop in here and point out that the 80s Transformers and GI Joe cartoons are legitimately good. they're not the fucking Sopranos, or Game of Thrones, or what have you, but for 80s kids TV, animated or not, they are pillars of quality. Their contemporaries: He-Man, Thundercats, MASK, GoBots, et. all., are all objectively of lower quality, but Transformers and GI Joe i found hold up reasonably well for what they are. 

source: i love cartoons (you may remember my 'Help me find all the cartoons' thread from a few years ago) and finished rewatching those two series a year or two back.

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i just want to pop in here and point out that the 80s Transformers and GI Joe cartoons are legitimately good. they're not the fucking Sopranos, or Game of Thrones, or what have you, but for 80s kids TV, animated or not, they are pillars of quality. Their contemporaries: He-Man, Thundercats, MASK, GoBots, et. all., are all objectively of lower quality, but Transformers and GI Joe i found hold up reasonably well for what they are. 

source: i love cartoons (you may remember my 'Help me find all the cartoons' thread from a few years ago) and finished rewatching those two series a year or two back.

To me GI Joe stood above the rest purely due to the two episodes where Shipwreck is basically living The Truman Show.

• Like 3

I always loved the 5-parters where the Joes and Cobra had to travel the world trying to beat each other to the parts for whatever McGuffin they were building (Werther Dominator, etc.).

Also the one where the Joes were scrambling because they were getting phone calls telling them that a guy called THE VIPER was coming, only for it to turn out to be the window cleaner, who had an accent (here to "vipe your vindows").

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

All this college talk on a wrestling message board just making me more bummed that there hasn't yet been a Mike Rotunda cameo in NXT to raid Chase U. for the Varsity Club. 

Clearly the Varsity Club angle here involves finally getting Kevin Sullivan back into the WWE for the first time since the 1970s

Also, Kevin Sullivan might look just as scary these days with his Whitey Bulger look than he looked in the 80s trying to be Charles Manson

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Also the one where the Joes were scrambling because they were getting phone calls telling them that a guy called THE VIPER was coming, only for it to turn out to be the window cleaner, who had an accent (here to "vipe your vindows").

This was duplicated in one of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark volumes, in which someone was terrified in their office by a man of vague Eastern European ethnicity calling their phone ("I am THE VIPER, I will be at your office at one," "I am THE VIPER, I am only thirty minutes away," "It's THE VIPER, I am coming up the stairs to your office").

Why this person in the Scary Stories tale didn't just vacate the premises, I don't know. At least the Joes had the excuse that they were trying to protect their base of operations. 

• Haha 2

I assume its because Shayna isn't wrestling at Wrestlemania and Barnett is one of her former trainers. Its nice to see them willing to do more of these one-offs. I hope it continues. I know Michaels has mentioned wanting to do such things for NXT.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

They probably get an in with Lauderdale on any up and comers that come his way before AEW. It's not a bad move. They're big enough to function in the same "farm team" fashion that ECW and Smoky Mountain did back in the day. 

On 3/14/2024 at 3:56 PM, Curt McGirt said:

1. I have a working VCR

2. I know exactly where that tape is. Actually I've been looking into selling a lot of old VHS, mostly horror. Wonder what it goes for? I'm pretty sure it's this one:

The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!" (1989) vhs movie cover

Old horror VHS is more collectible than most, especially some of the smaller label cult stuff.

Yeah, I asked around and got on a pretty big Facebook page for horror traders/buyers. Some stuff goes up to 300 bucks on there and I'm wondering how much my copy of, say, Psychomania might go for. I have Tetsuo the Iron Man around here and god know what that goes for. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, I asked around and got on a pretty big Facebook page for horror traders/buyers. Some stuff goes up to 300 bucks on there and I'm wondering how much my copy of, say, Psychomania might go for. I have Tetsuo the Iron Man around here and god know what that goes for. 

A huge regret of mine caused by addiction is selling my CD, vinyl, VHS and DVD/blu ray collections. I used to have a huge horror VHS collection and sold it for not even a quarter of its value. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/15/2024 at 4:06 AM, SirSmUgly said:

I watched some Super Mario Bros. Super Show! the other day, starring one of the only two actors whom I recognize as Mario, Captain Lou. 

It's dreadful, of course. One episode at a time is enough. But I'll always deeply love it. 

Best part of the show was easily this:

https://youtu.be/D8M8I2SYEiA?si=ZAjjhl4HXy5nM_1f

• Like 1
  • Haha 1