DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2024 Wrestling Talk

March sees Sting's last wrestling match at AEW Revolution, my last birthday in my 30s next Wednesday, NJPW 52nd Anniversary Show and the build towards WWE WrestleMania XL. The first quarter of 2024 comes to an end, gone quick.

• Like 6

question to kick the month off: 

i just started 2005 in my TNA/ROH watch. i think the ROH/CZW feud mainly takes place in 2006. Which (if any) CZW shows do i need to watch to get the full effect? And are there any other promotions/shows that i should watch due to a strong correlation?

edit: try to keep this as spoiler-free as possible, please.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

March sees Sting's last wrestling match at AEW Revolution

Wow.  The first time I ever saw him wrestle live was maybe two years into his career, in 1987!

JCP @ Baltimore, MD – Arena – July 12, 1987 (13,500)
Misty Blue defeated Kat Leroux
Terry Gordy (sub. for Buddy Roberts) defeated Thunderfoot #1
Rick Steiner (sub. for Black Bart) defeated Sting
Jimmy Garvin defeated Manny Fernandez via disqualification
NWA US Tag Team Champions Bobby Eaton & Stan Lane defeated Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts (sub. for Terry Gordy)
Barry Windham defeated Big Bubba
Ron Garvin defeated NWA US Tag Team Champion Bobby Eaton (sub. for an injured Jim Cornette); Cornette came out to the ring on crutches before the bout
UWF World Champion Steve Williams defeated Dick Murdoch
Nikita Koloff & the Road Warriors defeated NWA World Champion Ric Flair, NWA US Champion Lex Luger, & Arn Anderson in an elimination match
Dusty Rhodes defeated NWA TV Champion Tully Blanchard in a non-title barbed wire match

Fun Great American Bash show (non-PPV) as far as I can remember, except the main event, which is a study in the carny arts.  The whole show went long and the announcer (maybe Cappetta) told us all not to worry...they were "granted a curfew extension by the arena" and we would definitely get our main event!  Dusty and Tully get in...Tully attacks Dusty...Dusty ducks and either hits Tully with some plunder or a bionic elbow (memory is hazy on that point) and pins him.  Time of the fall is probably 10 seconds.  I'm positive no "curfew extension" was granted.  More likely the promoter (Gary Juster?) begged and pleaded because losing the main due to curfew would mean refunds, thrown trash, etc., and the arena manager told them "fuck you, you have 30 seconds and that's it."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i just started 2005 in my TNA/ROH watch. i think the ROH/CZW feud mainly takes place in 2006. Which (if any) CZW shows do i need to watch to get the full effect? And are there any other promotions/shows that i should watch due to a strong correlation?

CZW really didn't do much on their end for whatever reason. It was really all Gabe putting in the effort to make the angle work. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just saw the Rock cook Seth Rollins in a Twitter promo. He did some "God speaks to Billy Gunn" level shit to him, goddam.

44 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Aw, I ain't sitting or skipping through 25 minutes of that shit. Any time/times for the part(s) I really need to watch?

There are other clips edited in like Dave LaGreca you can skip, not sure if that would save you much time. About 9 min in is when he sort of explains why Cody gave him the shot, around 14 min is when he starts to dig in on Seth but 18 min on is the final run. I like that he got in some old school live date promotion in at the end

• Like 1

Kevin Nash has changed the reason why he won't go see Sting's last match.

"I never said that [that I was on the WWE payroll]. What I said is I’m a WWE guy. I can’t have a picture of me in the crowd and underneath it says, ‘Is All Elite.’ I just can’t have that. It just doesn’t work. One of my closest f****ng friends is Paul Levesque. As much as I love Steve and I know he will only have one last match, I will watch it. We will talk about it. I haven’t been to a WrestleMania, a RAW, a SmackDown, or any of the other pay-per-views. I haven’t been to any events. I don’t want to go to any place and be around a bunch of people, let alone wrestling people. I just don’t want to do it. I’m a hermit and that’s it,"

19 hours ago, twiztor said:

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

CZW really didn't do much on their end for whatever reason. It was really all Gabe putting in the effort to make the angle work. 

This. ROH The 100th Show and ROH Death Before Dishonour both from 2006 are the must sees. 

• Thanks 1

The Nash reply kind of reminds me of Willie D from Geto Boys talking about how he didn't show up at Bushwick Bill's or Ready Red's funerals because they had beef before they died and he knew he wouldn't be welcome, under the logic of "I wouldn't want them at my funeral either, because they'd make people uncomfortable". 

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I have never liked Rocky but he is really fucking good at this. It's about the most egregiously inside "shoot promo" style shoot promo ever but he makes it work. 

Meta is the new kayfabe.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Elsalvajeloco changed the title to MARCH 2024 Wrestling Talk

My favorite random factoid about Vader everytime I think of his promo from Bash at the Beach 1995. 

Early life[edit]

Leon Allen White was born in Lynwood, California, on May 14, 1955, and grew up in Compton, California.[1][8][10] He was raised with his sister in a rough area of Los Angeles known as South Central, where the siblings experienced a home break-in.[11] His father was a US Marine.[10] His father also was an underwater welder for the US Navy and invented an automobile hoist, which made the family wealthier and let them move to a safer neighborhood in Bell, where White attended Bell High School.[12] In high school, he competed in shot put on the track and field team, wrestled, and played football.

South Central's finest Leon "The Baby Bull" White. Now that said, I don't think he ran into many guys willing to fight in flip flops like Paul Orndorff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1