DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2024 Wrestling Talk

36 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Okay the answer has gotta be Mr. Wrestling II slapping his opponent's back on the Million Dollar knee lift.

It's distracting everytime you watch his finish cause he does it right on camera.

Wrestling 2's gesturing premove distracts you enough

Thigh slapping on a headbutt, that's just silly. Or a Dropkick. And I've seen both done. That one pale skinned English guy who was on 205 Live, he'd finish matches with a giant red palm print on his leg, even though his opponent never hit his leg at all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Wrestling 2's gesturing premove distracts you enough

The fact he's wrestling in his tighty whities is also distracting.

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The fact he's wrestling in his tighty whities is also distracting.

Stupid, sexy Mr. Wrestling II.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

If only he was still working when entertainment era FMW was a thing, he could have fit right in with Team No Respect.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I'm watching the episode of Rivals about Hogan and Piper. When was WrestleMania announced? Hogan says there was a DQ at the War to Settle the Score because Piper didn't want to do the job. Obviously that's a Hogan story. I just have never watched the TV from that era so I'm curious about the set up for the show. 

WrestleMania was announced shortly after The War to Settle the Score MTV special, a DQ finish was the only real way to set up the WM main event. 

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28m4jp

• Like 1

questionable wrestling angle ideas: Juice Robinson (known as CJ Parker in a previous life) gets paired with CJ (known as Lana in a previous life) whenever they're both good to go as part of a "Juice going out on his own outside of Bullet Club" thing... or a "Lana is now with someone who vaguely looks like a smaller version of her husband" thing

don't even gotta feud Miro with Juice because it's not like Miro is actually gonna do anything anyways

edit: wait.. the WWE FCW/NXT name for Juice Robinson was Pam Anderson's character name from Baywatch?

Edited by Cobra Commander

2 hours ago, Mister TV said:

WrestleMania was announced shortly after The War to Settle the Score MTV special, a DQ finish was the only real way to set up the WM main event. 

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28m4jp

Makes sense but the way Piper speaks on it like both Vince and Hulk wanted Piper to dive for Hulk around that time. It was great for everyone that he didn't. Look at how much Savage was taking clean falls to Hulk early in there run of matches and they were drawing good houses. It's amazing in hindsight that Piper managed to not have to lose to Hulk clean and the fact that it was Hulks first major program on top. I couldn't imagine who ever Cena's first major program refusing to lose clean to Cena. It wouldn't even be a thought to even refuse to lose to Cena. It wouldn't be an an option even today for someone to even refuse to lose to Roman. The only person would be Rock or Obviously Austin if he decided to work.against Roman.

Now that he's retired I guess I can get this off my chest.

I fucking HATED 'Crow' Sting. It was really, really fuckin cool during the nWo, but it should have ended after he beat Hogan at Starrcade. The fact that he never really went back to 'Surfer' Sting is, in my opinion, a huge missed opportunity, ala Taker becoming the Deadman again, and, personally, a huge disappointment. Surfer Sting was so much fucking cooler than 'Crow' it's not even funny.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DMN said:

I fucking HATED 'Crow' Sting. It was really, really fuckin cool during the nWo, but it should have ended after he beat Hogan at Starrcade. The fact that he never really went back to 'Surfer' Sting is, in my opinion, a huge missed opportunity, ala Taker becoming the Deadman again, and, personally, a huge disappointment. Surfer Sting was so much fucking cooler than 'Crow' it's not even funny.

I'm the opposite, Crow Sting especially WCW September 1997-December 1997 and AEW December 2020-March 2024 is my favourite. My least favourite by far is nWo Wolfpac Sting.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DMN said:

I fucking HATED 'Crow' Sting. It was really, really fuckin cool during the nWo, but it should have ended after he beat Hogan at Starrcade.

Everything should have “ended” after Starrcade. Starrcade was judgement day and instead Ted Turner just paid everybody’s fines.

8 hours ago, DMN said:

The fact that he never really went back to 'Surfer' Sting is, in my opinion, a huge missed opportunity, ala Taker becoming the Deadman again, and, personally, a huge disappointment. Surfer Sting was so much fucking cooler than 'Crow' it's not even funny.

Sting going back could have been done with the proper build I think but the 1 thing realistic thing I liked was how he was never the same again after being accused no matter what strides he made. It was 1 of the few realistic things about him that wasn’t ruined IMO. 

• Like 4

I was disappointed to see Doug Gilbert being an asshole about Sting on FB, for never mentioning Eddie. He does have a point but I doubt Sting really knew Eddie that well. Eddie was too busy chasing Missy Hyatt around and Sting wasn’t getting in the middle of that after he’d got in the middle of Dick Slater and Dark Journey. 

Edited by BloodyChamp

9 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Makes sense but the way Piper speaks on it like both Vince and Hulk wanted Piper to dive for Hulk around that time. It was great for everyone that he didn't. Look at how much Savage was taking clean falls to Hulk early in there run of matches and they were drawing good houses. It's amazing in hindsight that Piper managed to not have to lose to Hulk clean and the fact that it was Hulks first major program on top. I couldn't imagine who ever Cena's first major program refusing to lose clean to Cena. It wouldn't even be a thought to even refuse to lose to Cena. It wouldn't be an an option even today for someone to even refuse to lose to Roman. The only person would be Rock or Obviously Austin if he decided to work.against Roman.

Piper like Hogan is totally out there with lies and exaggerations, so you can't really believe him when it comes to this kind of stuff. It wouldn't have made sense to have Piper job clean to Hogan before WrestleMania, I'm sure Vince wanted to do a big house show run after WrestleMania with Piper taking the leg drop and pin, or in some markets a screw job finish and then back the next month for a blow off match where he takes the pin, but Piper being Piper it didn't happen.

• Like 2

We're forgetting that Sting was getting old and might've needed the bodysuit. He says he quit roiding in '90, after all. Six years can make a difference (and who knows WHAT he looks like under there now). 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

questionable wrestling angle ideas: Juice Robinson (known as CJ Parker in a previous life) gets paired with CJ (known as Lana in a previous life) whenever they're both good to go as part of a "Juice going out on his own outside of Bullet Club" thing... or a "Lana is now with someone who vaguely looks like a smaller version of her husband" thing

don't even gotta feud Miro with Juice because it's not like Miro is actually gonna do anything anyways

edit: wait.. the WWE FCW/NXT name for Juice Robinson was Pam Anderson's character name from Baywatch?

They actually named dropped CJ Parker on UUDD the other day when they were talking about some match in FCW. It’s really weird now to hear people mention CJ Parker or Leo Kruger or Leakee. 

I wish there was a wrestler with a gimmick of being a French guy named Jean Maginot with a finisher called The Maginot Line but he keeps losing to German wrestlers who keep ducking around him

James

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DMN said:

I just watched a video clip from one of the Starrcasts and he talked about that. Basically he said he didn't have the hair up top anymore to do a flat top like that. He was open to doing neon paint or whatever, but his hair was too far gone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Everything should have “ended” after Starrcade. Starrcade was judgement day and instead Ted Turner just paid everybody’s fines.

I've always said Starrcade 1997 was the beginning of the end for WCW.

https://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10224-wcw-starrcade-1997-25-years-later-the-start-of-the-end-for-wcw/#comments

Fuck Hollywood Hogan and fuck Eric Bischoff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I was disappointed to see Doug Gilbert being an asshole about Sting on FB, for never mentioning Eddie. He does have a point but I doubt Sting really knew Eddie that well. Eddie was too busy chasing Missy Hyatt around and Sting wasn’t getting in the middle of that after he’d got in the middle of Dick Slater and Dark Journey. 

What's this?

1 hour ago, Phantom Lord said:

I just watched a video clip from one of the Starrcasts and he talked about that. Basically he said he didn't have the hair up top anymore to do a flat top like that. He was open to doing neon paint or whatever, but his hair was too far gone.

(nods knowingly)

49 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I've always said Starrcade 1997 was the beginning of the end for WCW.

https://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10224-wcw-starrcade-1997-25-years-later-the-start-of-the-end-for-wcw/#comments

Fuck Hollywood Hogan and fuck Eric Bischoff.

I was at that show and the general air of dejection among the crowd walking out of the place was palpable.

• Like 1

when it comes to reasoning for Sting keeping the crow look... I guess they could go with a reasoning similar to the song "Man in Black" by Johnny Cash (good luck to any promotion for getting the rights to use that song for a video package)

Surfer Sting was a complete goof. A lovable goof, but a goof. I'm not sure he was a viable character after about 1995. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I think a remixed surfer Sting as a babyface legend would have worked, much like how Taker made the "old school Deadman" work after Mania 20.

I could see that, or maybe something closer to the Hogan '02 title run where there's a bit of hybridization - really, I could see the argument for that when Sting beat Jarrett for the TNA title around '07ish, he had the crow paint but with some more red, no shirt, red boots. One could look at it as the sendoff for that iteration (if ya squint)

• Like 2