DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2024 Wrestling Talk

16 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

My favorite random factoid about Vader everytime I think of his promo from Bash at the Beach 1995. 

South Central's finest Leon "The Baby Bull" White. Now that said, I don't think he ran into many guys willing to fight in flip flops like Paul Orndorff.

Just want to point out his autobiography is one I would classify as a must read.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

A shame they won’t do the “Kevin Nash in a Sting mask gets confused for Sting” spot again

Maybe they can get Barry Windham to be a faux Sting again? Lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zendragon said:

what Jeff Farmer been up to?

I got curious an looked this one up last year: he's a lab manager at a university in Florida.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

My favorite random factoid about Vader everytime I think of his promo from Bash at the Beach 1995. 

South Central's finest Leon "The Baby Bull" White. Now that said, I don't think he ran into many guys willing to fight in flip flops like Paul Orndorff.

His du rag makes a lot more sense now.

• Haha 2

[Inner monolgue Dana

14 hours ago, zendragon said:

May be an image of 2 people, television and text

was never disproven 

[Inner monologue Dana Delaney voice...]

Wait... when La Parka is around Mike is nowhere to be seen. Could Mike Tenay be... Lois Lane, what are you thinking. Sure Mike Tenay is The Professor of professional wrestling but La Parka is... well LA PARKA!

[Pull back to reveal Mike Tenay, back to camera before he turns around and winks]

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, sabremike said:

Just want to point out his autobiography is one I would classify as a must read.

Thanks for the recommendation of Vader's autobiography.

On the subject of wrestling autobiographies, the five best for me are:

5. A Lion's Tale by Chris Jericho.

4. Walking a Golden Mile by William Regal.

3. Hitman by Bret Hart.

2. Have a Nice Day by Mick Foley.

1. Yes!: My Improbable Journey to the Main Event of WrestleMania by Daniel Bryan.

• Like 2

I’ve really only read 1 autobiography that I didn’t like. Wrestler’s autobiographies are GOAT trip to the other side, better than any documentary or shoot or whatever. When you’re reading it, you can separate the facts from the bullhockey easy no matter what in my experience.

So I've been watching some 90s Joshi. Specifically AJW Dream Rush from November 92, and the main event had Toyota & Yamada vs Ozaki & Kansai. Toshiyo Yamada and Dynamite Kansai, two of the harder kickers in Wrestling history. And the kicks, they go THUD, not SLAP.

Now I know why wrestlers do the Thigh Slap on strikes, it gives a stiffness illusion, but seeing kicks land HARD and hearing the actual impact, it's a lot more impressive. So, who was it who introduced the Thigh Slap? Was it Tajiri, or did he just popularise it having taken it from someone else?

Okay the answer has gotta be Mr. Wrestling II slapping his opponent's back on the Million Dollar knee lift.

It's distracting everytime you watch his finish cause he does it right on camera.

• Like 1

I'm watching the episode of Rivals about Hogan and Piper. When was WrestleMania announced? Hogan says there was a DQ at the War to Settle the Score because Piper didn't want to do the job. Obviously that's a Hogan story. I just have never watched the TV from that era so I'm curious about the set up for the show. 

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

Speaking of Bullshit in bio's. Hogan's story about Pat Patterson trying to get him to blow him in 77 before his first match has to go on the lie list right? 

It's Hogan, so 95% yes, though at the very least Patterson really worked the show where Hogan had his first match (at least according to cagematch). On the Hogan-lie-scale this at least hits the mark "does not violate obvious facts like the laws of physics and does not require necromancy".

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

Speaking of Bullshit in bio's. Hogan's story about Pat Patterson trying to get him to blow him in 77 before his first match has to go on the lie list right? 

O for heck’s sake I hope so, or Hogan has upped himself again in my mind. Along with his fantasies of being the first person to do this and to do that, and slam this guy, and be the bassist in Metallica he also fantasizes about……….giving Pat a woody? 

• Haha 1

Thigh slaps were great when timed right for finishes, comebacks, etc. They were great when Tajiri started doing them every time too. It was somehow ok for him to do that every time similar to how it was ok for Curt Hennig throw himself through the air and flop. They’ve obviously gotten annoying and overdone. 

• Like 1