DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/20 - 9/26/2023 - Let's Go To Denny's!

Dolfan in NYC

28 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Having Eddie go over and become double champ in his fucking hometown should be a no-brainer.  Good to see that our former board member absorbed the lessons learned from all of us armchair bookers here at DVDVR. 

It was a great moment.  Tears were shed.

Claudio adhered to the Code at the end of the match and shook Eddie's hand.  Pure class.  More tears were shed.

I thought Sammy was dead after that Codebreaker counter to his SSP.  I hope Sammy leaving with Callis means that he's turning heel.  Takeshita / Guevarra might be the sexiest heel tag-team ever created.

Roderick Strong should just go full Iron Mike Sharpe and wrestle with a protective leather collar.  Hell, give him an industrial strength neck brace like Lord Humungus wore in The Road Warrior.

As happy as I am about Fenix winning the International belt, I have to believe that wasn't the original finish.  i hope Mox is okay.  I am kinda bummed that the Orange Cassidy journey to redemption and revenge has probably been shitcanned now that Mox is the ex-champ and probably injured.  Not a good night for the BCC.

Saraya retaining was the least interesting thing on this card but as most of you have said, Toni doesn't need the belt to be over.  The problem is what do you do with Saraya when you know that the woman the fans would rather see defend her title is Kris Statlander?

MJF being the thing that will not die because holding the AEW World Tile = Life for him is the best thing in this fed.

Twitter or X or whatever it's supposed to be called was all abuzz that Fenix legit fucked up Mox and that they did the finish on the fly, and Mox wasn't supposed to lose. I don't completely buy that for two reasons.

1. Granted, we know how dedicated Mox is. But I can't imagine him saying "Hey I'm hurt, spike me on my head like that again!" When they could have literally done anything else after the phantom kickout to give Fenix the pin or Mox could have told Bryce "I'm hurt, just count to three" after the first one.

2. The International Strap is supposed to be a midcard title, and Fenix getting it sort of re-cements it in place. Fenix gets the rub of a singles belt and beating Mox for it. But at the same time, he's not going to be headlining PPV shows with his title defenses.

• Like 1

Fenix and Kenny Omega are now the only AEW Triple Crown Champions, aren't they?

• Kenny is a former World, Tag Team and Trios Champion
  • Fenix is a former Tag and Trios Champion, and current International Champion

Meanwhile there are plenty of Double Crown champs:

• Moxley is a former World and International Champion
  • Matt Jackson, Nick Jackson, Penta, Anthony Bowens and Max Caster have all held (or do hold) the Tag Team and Trios Championships

Also, New Jersey indie wrestler Tiara James was playing Roddy Strong's nurse. She's a very nice person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

• Matt Jackson, Nick Jackson, Penta, Anthony Bowens and Max Caster have all held (or do hold) the Tag Team and Trios Championships

Also, New Jersey indie wrestler Tiara James was playing Roddy Strong's nurse. She's a very nice person.

Luchasaurus has won the AEW World Tag Team Titles and TNT Championship.

Scorpio Sky has won the AEW World Tag Team Titles and TNT Championship.

PAC has held the AEW All Atlantic Championship and AEW Trios Championship.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Luchasaurus has won the AEW World Tag Team Titles and TNT Championship.

Scorpio Sky has won the AEW World Tag Team Titles and TNT Championship.

PAC has held the AEW All Atlantic Championship and AEW Trios Championship.

Cheers @The Natural

• Thanks 1

Still trying to wrap my head around the logic of Sami/Jericho.

- Sami has a pre existing arrangement with Don Callis prior to the match.

- Sami loses the biggest match of his life after appearing conflicted and taking too long to hit the SSP after having the match won.

- Callis makes no attempt to save the match or help Guevara win, then turns up to commence his end game of kicking Jericho in the dick.

Just a long illogical way of appealing to Jericho's ego by running an exaggerated way of comparing him to Shawn Michaels.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Matches were all good to great, I need mega-face Daniel Garcia mowing through the Callis family yesterday if not sooner!

Daniel Garcia's future superstar status seems to be entering the Now. And it couldn't come at a better time.

Eddie v Claudio was as captivating as anything on a Wednesday Night over the past 4 years. Very special and beautifully executed from both top pros. All that said, I hope these belts don't get in the way of Eddie taking his rightful place as one of the key weekly stars (and not on a paid subscription site that too few are watching). No more messing around, Kingston Main/Semi-Main Event run needs to begin now.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Still trying to wrap my head around the logic of Sami/Jericho.

- Sami has a pre existing arrangement with Don Callis prior to the match.

- Sami loses the biggest match of his life after appearing conflicted and taking too long to hit the SSP after having the match won.

- Callis makes no attempt to save the match or help Guevara win, then turns up to commence his end game of kicking Jericho in the dick.

Just a long illogical way of appealing to Jericho's ego by running an exaggerated way of comparing him to Shawn Michaels.

Callis didn’t emerge until after the dick kick. The other reading of this is that Callis had been working on Sammy but didn’t know which side Sammy was going to land on until the dick kick. Also suggests the possibility that Sammy hadn’t made his mind up to turn on Jericho until after he lost.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Sami loses the biggest match of his life after appearing conflicted and taking too long to hit the SSP after having the match won.

This is a big sticking point for me because it made Sammy look like a huge idiot - he was facing Jericho on the top rope and while they shot it in a way that you didn’t see it on TV, there’s no way he didn’t know Jericho was already standing before he jumped. 

On a completely different note, as a Mets fan all the Mike Piazza references (the 31 on the shirt and MJF’s elbow pad) were awesome. 

1 hour ago, Mike Campbell said:

Twitter or X or whatever it's supposed to be called was all abuzz that Fenix legit fucked up Mox and that they did the finish on the fly, and Mox wasn't supposed to lose. I don't completely buy that for two reasons.

1. Granted, we know how dedicated Mox is. But I can't imagine him saying "Hey I'm hurt, spike me on my head like that again!" When they could have literally done anything else after the phantom kickout to give Fenix the pin or Mox could have told Bryce "I'm hurt, just count to three" after the first one.

2. The International Strap is supposed to be a midcard title, and Fenix getting it sort of re-cements it in place. Fenix gets the rub of a singles belt and beating Mox for it. But at the same time, he's not going to be headlining PPV shows with his title defenses.

Mox is bugfuck crazy, but no one wrestles around a neck injury.  If he was legit hurt, they'd taken it home immediately.  They certainly would not have worked in another headdrop spot, especially if fucking Rey Fenix is the guy dropping you on your head.

Edited by J.T.

I had some tears running after Kingston won, and after the handshake. I usually don't love the Inside Baseball angles but in general I think they did a nice job of getting this one across especially since Eddie's character is known for being stubborn and holding grudges. They beat the shit out of each other in a way that was both professional and safe but also certainly a little personal. I like that it was wrestled straight too.

The hospital scene was funny and taken hilariously over-the-top by that hospital bed creaking slowly.

I was worried Sammy broke some ribs on that SSP/Code Breaker. Match told a story, maybe not one most of us cared about, but it's definitely not the final chapter.

I didn't catch that Mox was likely rung on Fenix's initial dive, I too thought Fenix was handing him a blade that came loose. Later in the match, on another high spot where Mox saved Fenix's life with a great base, Fenix squeezed his hand again so I was thinking he was thanking Mox for catching him. The ending was obviously weird, the first driver looked bad live and when I saw the slo-mo today I'm shocked it was only a concussion. I personally think Fenix was always intended to go over, because Tony has some obsession with at least one of the Lucha Brothers holding some kind of belt at all times.

The Toni Storm entrance was everything. Nice to see them lean fully into the presentation. Toni carried Saraya, but kudos for taking some pretty nasty neck bumps on the hanging rope DDTs. Toni beating Ruby with the slippers was funny, but really wish she had thrown the pump.

Main event was a great match. I get the whole "he's our scumbag" thing even though I missed the introduction of that. But to me, there is a line between that and blatantly cheating heel-style with the tape. I know Max loves his 80s WWF (even did the stupid Warrior rope shake) so maybe he's leaning fully into the "Actually, Hogan was a dirty wrestler and cheater" character. I think long-term they're trying to show that both MJF and Cole are "dirty guys" at heart, but I'm not sure the crowd will accept that and I don't think there is a true babyface big enough for them to turn on at this point.

Also, now that Cole may be out for a bit it's a chance to get the ROH title back on an actual tag team, maybe some up-and-comer types instead of two main eventers from the main promotion.

• Like 4

Couple WWE related things

1) has anyone else mentioned the potential in pairing Toni Storm with Dustin and giving him whatever the AEW legally abiding version of the Goldust gimmick would be?

2) the fact that Shawn and Jericho's overwrought and at times quite crappy WM 19 match has apparently been misremembered as a classic by some speaks to some of the more grating problems with the "style - substance + bad acting/selling" AEW house style formula.

• Like 2

Solid night of action and some great spots like Eddie's rana, Jericho's counter to the SSP, and Max's Ligerbomb

I rewatched the end of Fenix/Mox and it looked to me like the landings were relatively safe on those last two drivers at first, with closer inspection there could be some contact. Nothing like Owen/Austin, of course. I think you're all right about the concussion coming from the first dive but damn Fenix looked cool flying over the cameraman like that. Not sure what happened with the phantom kick out except that Rick Knox is one of the worst refs going and just got it wrong. Bryce is bad for always knowing where the camera angles are and positioning himself to be in the shot, Rick sometimes has to be reminded by wrestlers when to count things

Main event fell a little flat to me, although that could just be my Joe bias showing. With the neck injury I think kicking out of the Muscle Buster was little far given the real life history of the move (maybe that's too morbid tho). MJF inheriting a hurt champion gimmick could be an interesting story to see how he weasels his way through matches with legit contenders

1 minute ago, matt925 said:

So this show did possibly their biggest walk up in history with around 2500 tickets sold Wednesday. So the attendance was well over 11k. 

Happy to see this. Wednesday night can be tricky to plan around if you have other responsibilities, I totally understand people deciding to go at the last minute. Two title matches with hometown guys doesn't hurt

• Like 1

What a night! Eddie came through big time, but he absolutely had to. Post match handshake was good. Eddie has refused it and had it refused, so this time it actually happening was nice.

Roddy is being a total douche. I would happily accept a negative number of friends rather than have that conniving sanctimonious POS as a friend. The Kingdom seem legit, but they take so much pride in rubbing all of this in Adam's face!

Mox-Fenix was weird and the ending was pretty nuts. Fenix kicking out of shit he definitely shouldn't was glaringly obvious in this one, too.

Sammy-Jericho was decent. I did call the kicking of the balls before it happened, but Callis coming out was a surprise that I also should have seen coming, but didn't.

Storm had a quite the character building match there with Saraya. I'm sure she will take this loss in a stride and nothing bad comes out of it.

The Bret Hart skit with MJF and the kid before the main event was awesome! The match was built very well and I was even thinking for a second or two that Joe could actually take it. This MJF reign has been quite the ride.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Mox is bugfuck crazy, but no one wrestles around a neck injury.  If he was legit hurt, they'd taken it home immediately.  They certainly would not have worked in another headdrop spot, especially if fucking Rey Fenix is the guy dropping you on your head.

I think you underestimate Mr. Moxley's ...commitment to his craft.

That "mild concussion" tweet earlier is about as laughable as anything I've seen.  He all but had birds and stars dancing around around his head.  

• Like 8

I love Naito dearly but he probably tells his opponents before hand that if he loses consciousness that they can do whatever they want to finish the match. He’s one of the few people even more….committed to their craft than Mox.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Hangman is a Double Crown champion too. World and Tag titles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Stevie Richards does a deep dive in his new analysis video. 

Oh yeah, there's no amount of head tucking that was going to keep Mox totally safe there. Bad scene all around. Stevie makes good points about the role of refs and agents too

• Like 2