DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2023

Interesting, I was under the impression there would be no further GCW appearances from AEW talent after Mox dropped their heavyweight title, but here, they're getting not only Jeff but Kommander. Wonder if those reports were false or if it was just simply more of a fluid situation

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Would the best way for this Saturdays Battle of the Belts not be a total ratings flop be that the 2/3 falls tag title match go long and pushes Punk/Starks to the top of the 10 o'clock hour?

I think they care more about Collision and not bait and switching, plus not every country gets BotB? A safer choice would be to have the 2/3 falls match go long as the main event and bleed into BotB maybe?

Per PWInsider, Brian Pillman Jr. is gone from AEW. At the time, I think Pillman was a good signing by the company, but I don't think he ever truly came out of his shell. Not sure where he lands next, but I think playing the field can do him some good. I think he needs to find his own niche and identity outside of having his father's name.

• Like 1

Sounds like KK will be replaced by Ian Riccaboni while working for NJPW during the G1. I feel like Ian can steal the job permanently if he plays his cards right. 

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Per PWInsider, Brian Pillman Jr. is gone from AEW. At the time, I think Pillman was a good signing by the company, but I don't think he ever truly came out of his shell. Not sure where he lands next, but I think playing the field can do him some good. I think he needs to find his own niche and identity outside of having his father's name.

I'm half expecting him to show up on Dynamite, rant about not having a contract, and start acting crazy. Maybe call TK "bookerman".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

More importantly, is Griff Garrison okay?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Green Meanie said:

More importantly, is Griff Garrison okay?

"Whoa, who the fuck is Griff Garrison?"

In all seriousness, Garrison signed his AEW contract around the same time as Pillman and he might be in a similar boat unless they add more time to his deal due to his injury layoff.

• Like 4

On 7/11/2023 at 2:21 AM, HumanChessgame said:

Anyone know what Pac's status is? The last AEW match he had was the final of the best of seven trios matches against The Elite back in January and the only two other matches he's had this year have been in the UK.

The dreaded VISA ISSUES, I believe.

Pillman really struggled for much of his AEW run. The awful angle and weak bout with MJF come to mind. The team with Garrison had a moment where they seemed to be on the rise, but ultimately failed to make the necessary improvements. I was interested to see where the late stages team with Brock Anderson might lead. I thought they'd be a good fit in the new ROH. It's a little disappointing they never let Junior work heel. He seemed full of potential while in MLW, and In part because of his more natural heel persona. Curious to see where he lands next. And whether he can rebound. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Interesting, I was under the impression there would be no further GCW appearances from AEW talent after Mox dropped their heavyweight title, but here, they're getting not only Jeff but Kommander. Wonder if those reports were false or if it was just simply more of a fluid situation

I was thinking about that earlier and kind of wondering if the fifth man for BCC might end up being Nick Gage. Seems like it would be a decent trade. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

How does someone working a GCW show mean "so much for sobriety"?

Seems short sighted to say something like that when none of us have any idea his support system, etc.

Nick Gage is a recovering addict and the main star of the company. I don't know what his personal life is like, but if he can keep clean in that environment then I'd think others can as well.

• Like 2

Just now, HumanChessgame said:

Nick Gage is a recovering addict and the main star of the company. I don't know what his personal life is like, but if he can keep clean in that environment then I'd think others can as well.

I couldn't agree more.  On the surface, he seems to be doing extremely well with his demons and it bothers the shit out of me when "fans"  (mostly Cornette parrots") continue to refer to him as the "Drug addicted bank robber"

1 hour ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

How does someone working a GCW show mean "so much for sobriety"?

Seems short sighted to say something like that when none of us have any idea his support system, etc.

Consider the source.

[this is where he quote responds with an inscrutable Twitter link]

• Haha 2

Griff seems like he'd benefit from going to the performance center, honestly. He showed some flashes and definitely carried the Varsity Blondes team, but he's one of those victims of AEW's roster being so stacked that there isn't much room for a decent prospect who's still a couple years away. His in-ring style would play well in WWE, and he would likely benefit from NXT throwing random gimmicks at him to develop the right presentation. All the AEW mens "prospects" are guys with serious connections (Gunns, Nick Wayne, Brock Anderson unfortunately). The women's side is a lot more open thanks to WWE having a 5 year head start, and AEW regularly features wrestlers you could being on top of the division in the not distant future like Skye, Willow, and Billie soon enough. It's brutal trying to break in to AEW as a man with no significant reputation, though. When someone like Fenix can be off the main shows for months and hardly anyone notices, it's tough to make a case for Griff to get more reps.

• Like 4