DVDVR Message Board

June 2023 Wrestling Discussion

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

speaking of guest referees, i don't recall one ever being appointed and just flat out saying "i am going to make this SO one-sided". usually they go the "i'm gonna call it right down the middle, daddy!" route, or just don't mention it. Can anybody point me to a scenario that had this guest referee blatantly telling the wresters/fans/cameras that he's going to be biased?

Shane McMahon at Backlash 2000

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Robert S said:

or Vince at Over the Edge 98

This reminds me that Pat Patterson's intros before the main event is in the top 5 funniest things in WWF/E history.

Just saw it again a couple weeks ago and it's even funnier than the last time I saw it.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I think that was mainly b/c Ali was starting to show some cognitive decline at that point and Vince wanted to make sure nothing went wrong. There was already one unknown variable in the ring in Mr. T so he didn't want to add another. They still wanted Ali attached to the main so they just stuck him outside and let Patterson be the main ref. Vince wanted Patterson in there to direct traffic if T forgot spots or if Piper/Orndorff really did get into it with T.

Judging by the next few years, Perfect may well have been in his huge drunken spiral that would eventually contribute to his passing.  So, the two situations may be a little more parallel than we even realized. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This reminds me that Pat Patterson's intros before the main event is in the top 5 funniest things in WWF/E history.

Just saw it again a couple weeks ago and it's even funnier than the last time I saw it.

"There goes Strongbow" for the absolute win!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

So apparently there is a WrestleCon during Summerslam weekend.  And the first guest announced is a rather surprising one

Oh man, someone tell Brian Myers so he can get his OG Hasbro Nailz signed and complete the collection.

Also it’s weird that Masato Tanaka came up, because I was listening to the Foley Is Pod episode about ONS 2006, which made me want to watch that six person tag - and then I got a hankering for some Mike Awesome so I went to ONS 2005 for the Awesome/Tanaka match. Still one of the best ECW sprints for hard hitting shit, even if the chair shots are GROSS and Joey Styles is a piece of shit on commentary.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 11:34 AM, twiztor said:

speaking of guest referees, i don't recall one ever being appointed and just flat out saying "i am going to make this SO one-sided". usually they go the "i'm gonna call it right down the middle, daddy!" route, or just don't mention it. Can anybody point me to a scenario that had this guest referee blatantly telling the wresters/fans/cameras that he's going to be biased?

I think MJF did something like this in AEW. I think it was during either the Jericho or Wardlow feud. One of those where the opponent has to jump through a lot of hoops to get a singles match with MJF.

Also, it was rampant during the attitude era as a couple other posters have mentioned. The Austin/Dude Love match with Vince as the ref was super fun.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

The Austin/Dude Love match with Vince as the ref was super fun.

Seconded - both of their matches that spring are f'n awesome, but Over The Edge holds up super well with the aforementioned stooge stuff. YMMV on whether it's the 'best' of the bunch, but I can say with certainty that it's my favorite WWF PPV main event of that year. I'm sure it helps that Slamboree the same month kinda sucked IIRC

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

33 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Seconded - both of their matches that spring are f'n awesome, but Over The Edge holds up super well with the aforementioned stooge stuff. YMMV on whether it's the 'best' of the bunch, but I can say with certainty that it's my favorite WWF PPV main event of that year. I'm sure it helps that Slamboree the same month kinda sucked IIRC

No, you definitely remember correctly. WWF is clearly at a point where their PPV undercards suck and would stay that way until 2000, but their main events are clearly above and beyond anything WCW can do. WCW, on the other hand, was once powered by strong undercard PPV matches or at least fun and creative stuff. By mid 1998, that's no longer the case. They also can no longer get away with having a random tag and six man matches as co main and main events with the exception of a Rodman appearance. The fans have clearly figured out that they weren't going to get WCW title matches on par with what the WWF was putting on. You often  get long, meandering matches with very little crowd response outside of the entrances. Then, the bell rings and it's all down from there. There is very little cohesion when it comes to their PPVs. It's also very little payoff because a lot of the storylines went on for months with nothing being resolved or just be entirely reset. Some of the same problems that started to develop on their TV have now migrated to PPV. It's a great case study in losing the plot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Could you let me know the show names and years of those two?  I just re-upped Peacock on their $20/year deal and need stuff to watch.  I just checked out the Austin/McMahon cage match, which was fun.  Vince's table bump was disgusting.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nate said:

Did Mr. Fuji ever have a first name, other than "Mr."?

Or "Master", for that matter ...

Cagematch has matches with him listed as "Harry Fujiwara" (early to mid 60ies, mostly in Hawaii), "Masa Fujjwara" (late 60ies to early 70ies, again mostly in Hawaii plus a bit in Vancouver), "The Great Fuji" (for Roy Shire in 75 & 76) and as "Shintaro Fuji" (Australia 67). I would not be certain about the "Masa Fujiwara" name though, in that same time period he is also listed as "Mr. Fujiwara" in Hawaii (and as "Mr. Fuji" during the same period - but I would assume that he was using some version of Fujiwara in Hawaii as long as he was a regular there, i.e. until 71).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hammerva said:

So apparently there is a WrestleCon during Summerslam weekend.  And the first guest announced is a rather surprising one

Can't see dude and not hear the OSW guys doing their "Who's the boss now, Boss Man?" impressions.

So, what is a greater crime against Wrestling Logic:

1. Every Will Ospreay opponent deeply studying their Will Ospreay footage so that they know precisely when and how to duck and dodge , or
  2. No Tyler Bate opponent ever having watched a Tyler Bate match, and thus not knowing that when he lifts his fist in the air, the one thing you shouldn't do is stand right in from of him with your guard down?

Or something else?

20 minutes ago, AxB said:

No Tyler Bate opponent ever having watched a Tyler Bate match, and thus not knowing that when he lifts his fist in the air, the one thing you shouldn't do is stand right in from of him with your guard down?

Why would you even need to have seen a Tyler Bate match to figure that one out?

• Like 1

There was a match with Juvi from the 5/25/98 Nitro. It's a pretty damn good match and on par with the match they had (where Kidman won the cruiserweight title) later that year on the Nitro in Greenville, SC the night after Fall Brawl and also the night Flair makes his triumphant return.

There is a bit of a conundrum because apparently Juvi's thing at one point was you cannot powerbomb him, and he has the exact same reversal as Kidman. So Kidman tries to powerbomb Juvi....you cannot powerbomb Juvi. I dunno if they meant to do that, but it's the most meta thing ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Could you let me know the show names and years of those two?  I just re-upped Peacock on their $20/year deal and need stuff to watch.  I just checked out the Austin/McMahon cage match, which was fun.  Vince's table bump was disgusting.

For all Vince's IRL misdeeds, he really did do some crazy shit when he was out there, whether it was that one, doing like a Muta 8 bladejob vs Stephanie, or jumping off the ladder vs Hogan. 

The one I was referring to as my favorite was Over The Edge '98 in May, but I misremembered the order - this was the rematch from Unforgiven in April, not vice versa

• Thanks 1