DVDVR Message Board

May 2023 Wrestling Talk

Pretty sure my figures had a few cards in an outdoor sandbox. Not sure if I had ever rented Bash at the Beach 1995 before doing that. But my wrestling fandom didn't really start early enough to really get the Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers into the action.

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

I had a Chuck Norris action figure ( I have never another on if these before or since ) that would get booked against my he-man figures 

I had two Chuck Norris figures. I mostly remember them as being slightly out-of-scale with all of my other action figures so Chuck always seemed to be oddly short or oddly tall.

They were also really solidly built. You could do some damage throwing those at someone (allegedly).

• Like 2

Since we're on the topic, I never really used my Hasbros to do figure feds. Until 96 when the Jakks toys came out, I always used GI Joes with the Hasbro ring because they could do cool flips and moves. I secretly wished they'd do 3 inch poseable WWF figures so I could do whatever moves I wanted.

I vaguely remember one time I actually used the Hasbros to wrestle and I made Honky Tonk Man my world champion. I was booker of the year in the making.

• Like 1

This reminds me when I was 10 and missed a majority of Raw but showed up just in time for a sweet Stone Cold moment or the Rock doing the eyebrow. 

Btw, fantastic Steve Austin spit take in that gif!

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 5

I think I used my TMNT action figures to wrestle more than I did my actual WWF ones. The oddest one was there was a line of smaller Transformers toys that didn't actually transform in the early 90s that were great for wrestling (arms didn't bend but both knees did so fully), so I think I exclusively used them for that as without being able to transform they weren't great for much else.

8 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

I preferred playing with the AWA Remco figures as a kid because they were the same height scale as the He-Man/Masters of the Universe line so I could run He-Man/Fabulous Ones vs Skeletor/Road Warriors and Man At Arms (w/Teela) vs Jimmy Garvin (w/Precious) among other matches

Oh how I would have loved to see Abdullah the Butcher carve up Orko with a fork or Stan Hansen blast Beast-Man with a lariat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I had two Chuck Norris figures. I mostly remember them as being slightly out-of-scale with all of my other action figures so Chuck always seemed to be oddly short or oddly tall.

They were also really solidly built. You could do some damage throwing those at someone (allegedly).

Chuck Norris isn't slightly out of scale, the scale was just slightly out of Chuck Norris!

• Haha 2

The thing I remember most about RSPW were those Shoot Vader Shoot! posts that were popping up during the build up to any of the Hogan vs. Vader PPVs. Also the only place where 10 year old me could talk about WCW to someone other than my dad since everyone in my age range were strictly WWF fans. 

• Like 2

one of the first wrestling forums I remember being on was a website connected to Music City Wrestling in late 97, but the forum was covering everything

not sure how early I ended up finding tOA (whose forum just finally broke a few months ago) but the gameroom part of that site was a way to take up some time

Dropped by the new location of The Bodybar tonight. Literally, almost precisely, a 5 minute walk from the place I work on Tuesdays. Had a beer and some beans without oil or salt (Bodysnacking). Then some of Bodyguard's (very friendly and apparently filthy rich) friends dropped in, bought champagne for everyone, sang karaoke with us (I absolutely wailed out Whole Lotta Love), then INSISTED on picking up our tab without knowing how long we'd been there or what we'd ordered. Good times!

VkUDsZa.jpg        ENIcEbg.jpg   4grxi6c.jpg  kucqsVH.jpg  knZSeLm.jpg jnFYtXh.jpg

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Dropped by the new location of The Bodybar tonight. Literally, almost precisely, a 5 minute walk from the place I work on Tuesdays. Had a beer and some beans without oil or salt (Bodysnacking). Then some of Bodyguard's (very friendly and apparently filthy rich) friends dropped in, bought champagne for everyone, sang karaoke with us (I absolutely wailed out Whole Lotta Love), then INSISTED on picking up our tab without knowing how long we'd been there or what we'd ordered. Good times!

VkUDsZa.jpg        ENIcEbg.jpg   4grxi6c.jpg  kucqsVH.jpg  knZSeLm.jpg jnFYtXh.jpg

Maje sure you remember to call it a "Kenka Kick".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Is it possible they thought you were Bodyguard?

Edited by Control
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2023 at 7:16 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I never used by wrestling figures to do anything other than wrestle. But I obviously used all of my other action figures as wrestlers.  Snake Eyes was a belt holder.  Mr. Sinister had the title for a while etc.. 

Being a child of the 90s, I had an elaborate Beanie Baby wrestling promotion. My younger brother copied me, and of course we eventually had to some super shows. He learned an early lesson about being careful which promoters you worked with as his beanies never went over in a meaningful match.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

Being a child of the 90s, I had an elaborate Beanie Baby wrestling promotion. My younger brother copied me, and of course we eventually had to some super shows. He learned an early lesson about being careful which promoters you worked with as his beanies never went over in a meaningful match.

You want a hot take? Cubby was a vanilla midget

21 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

You want a hot take? Cubby was a vanilla m****t

FYI, I believe the mods have asked people to no longer use that term, as it is generally considered a slur.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, JLowe said:

FYI, I believe the mods have asked people to no longer use that term, as it is generally considered a slur.

Good look, appreciate the check - meant nothing by it!

22 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

😮

HOW COULD YOU

Meaningless highspots, no psychology. Blackie, now there's a bear who could work 🙂

• Like 3

Going back to Masters of the Universe, for some reason the idea of Skeletor and his goons becoming the nWo popped into my head and I pictured it like this:

Skeletor: Hogan (obviously)

Panthor: Bischoff (always at Skeletor's/Hogan's side)

Evil-Lyn: Nash (2nd in command, always kinda seems like she wants to take over)

Tri-Klops: Hall (always around but never the center of attention)

Two Bad: Syxx (always talking shit)

Trap Jaw: Savage (should have a more prominent role but just kinda hangs around)

Gygor: Norton (the "heavy" of the group)

Clawful: The Giant (physically imposing but naive and makes a lot of mistakes)

Blast-Attack: Stevie Ray (because he blows up after a short time lol)

Scare Glow: Scott Steiner (because he's so full of god knows what that his piss glows)

Spikor: Wallstreet (because nobody knows why the fuck he's even there)

Stinkor: Horace (do I really need to explain?)

Faker: Buff (because of the orange body)

Beast Man: Vincent (because he's the dumbest, easiest one to beat)

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, JLowe said:

Totally, instead of vanilla, we should use "mildly favoured" or "blandly flavored" instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had a whole multiverse dedicated to my GI Joe wrestling fed. I was 9 or 10 when Hasbro licensed Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat and released figs in the same scale. I had a whole story in my head; Cobra Commander and Col. Bison held a summit at Cobra Base, where they had Destro learn how to summon Shang Tsung and his warriors. I had a grandma who loved to go to Toys R Us, so I was lucky to have an extensive collection. My core heroes were Duke, Snake Eyes, Col. Guile, Scarlett, Chun Li, Ken, Ryu, Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Kitana, Sonya and Jax. Jax may have been a custom I made with a tiny screwdriver and those generic GI Joes you got at Eckerd. I can't remember. It was structured a lot like Lucha Underground, where it was a story where the fight scenes just happened to be wrestling matches. 

After a few months of story, I decided it was time for a final showdown to determine dominion over Earthrealm. I'd built up a lot of stories, like Scorpion and Sub Zero continually attacking Snake Eyes two on one. Storm Shadow pretended to make the save, then turned on Snake Eyes and joined the Outrealm. They attacked him 3-1 until Spirit Iron Knife and Cami made the save. There were lots of goofy side stories, like a romance between Johnny Cage and the Baroness which ended when Cage found out Baroness had spent her family fortune building Cobra's arsenal. Chun Li and Liu Kang were briefly entangled, before Li was badly beaten by Cobra BATS sent at the behest of Princess Milena. The ambush was meant to draw Kang and Raiden into a trap, but Kang was able to escape when Raiden stayed behind to hold off the onslaught. His fate remains unknown.

Croc Master and Blanca were my comic relief team (like Alpha Academy now.) Croc Master didn't understand that Blanca was sentient, but CM fed Blanca so Blanca stuck around. Zangief got involved with Tomax and Xamot, doing hijinx and whatnot. All the while our main characters were scheming and fighting to save Earth. 

The heroes traced our villains to Shadaloo, where Cobra had amassed their forces. Duke, Liu Kang, Ken, Guile, Ryu, Snake Eyes, Spirit Iron Knife, Roadblock, Gung Ho, Sonya, and a very reluctant Johnny Cage slipped into Shang Tsung's sanctum while the main GI Joe force drew out the Outrealm armies with a direct assault. (You could get creative here and use out of scale figures as monsters from the outrealm. Imagine Flint, Cami, Heavy Duty and Jax hanging from a Dragonzord trying frantically to bring it to the ground with weapons). The main group grew smaller as fighters were drawn into "matches" for titles, some of which were literal belts or trinkets of tremendous power and meaning, and some of which were fights that held great consequence. The normal "Mortal Kombat" rules applied; someone must beat Shang Tsung in single combat to save Earth. Johnny Cage broke off and fought Destro at the behest of a still scorned Baroness, Sonya Blade fought Mileena for her crown, Snake Eyes and Spirit Iron Knife defeated Scorpion and Sub Zero after Storm Shadow refused to intervene. SS simply bowed to Snake Eyes and disappeared, anticipating his side's defeat. 

Duke gave his life fighting Goro, who was about to bludgeon Scarlett and Roadblock. Duke was able to use his combat instincts to allow his two wounded friends to escape. Ripcord and Shipwreck were able to rescue Scarlett and Roadblock just outside the fortress (aka an old Davenport in my parent's basement).

Kano was busy during all this time, too. He spent the whole story wheeling and dealing and trying to ensure he'd get a favorable place in whatever evil entity came out on top. He'd snuggled up to Cobra Commander and did his best to unseat Sagat as Col. Bison's right hand. This eventually led to his undoing when Sagat, Vega and Dr. Mindbender had Kano thrown off the top of the mountain that housed Cobra Base (the aforementioned Davenport).

The final showdown was similar to the Mortal Kombat movie. Shang Tsung challenges everyone but Liu Kang, but Snake Eyes accepts his challenge. He easily defeats the minions sent at him by Tsung, before unmasking and revealing himself to be Liu Kang. I went all out for this. I actually got my tiny screwdriver and swapped out figure heads so I could have Liu Kang wearing Snake Eyes' gear. I have polaroids somewhere.

The heroes of Earth stand victoriously atop the mountain, with Shang Tsung defeated and GI Joe taking the remaining terrorists into custody. Destro, Sagat, Dr. Mindbender, and Baroness escape with Goro's body, taking him to Serpentor at a secret lab, hoping to re-animate him and use him to destroy the Joes once everyone disperses. 

I had a lot of time on my hands. I had other adventures that involved wrestling as fight scenes but this was one whole summer for me. I recorded some of the stories/matches on my parents' camcorder, but I think all that stuff got recorded over.

• Like 7