DVDVR Message Board

May 2023 Wrestling Talk

50 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

As someone who grew up on off-brand wrestling figures and whatever used merch I could get from a flea market, fuck the idea of having "correct" merchandise

Some people don't have endless money to throw away

But imagine the headline in 1998 of Bret Hart giving a 10 year old the five moves of doom.

That would have been worth more than the actual autograph.

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

The real issue with replica belts is that no one has ever looked cool at a show holding one.

A friend of mine some years back was having a go at stand-up comedy and opened on a bill at The Comedy Store headlined by Rob Van Dam also trying his hand at stand-up. 

The rest of the bill was the usual array of not-quite-headline-level-yet stand-ups working the LA circuit.

Some poor kid brought his replica WWE Championship belt to THAT. And sat FRONT ROW.

That dude got savaged by damn near every other comedian taking the stage that night. I have never felt more sorry for a wrestling fan with a replica belt than that night. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

8 hours ago, twiztor said:

kids don't always differentiate similar products. When i was a kid, i thought Transformers, GoBots, and MASK were all the same show. That kid looks pretty young. maybe he just had a "wrestling belt" as opposed to a "WWE Championship"

Oh to be a small child again so my Optimus Prime action figure can main event wrestlemania against my hulk hogan figure

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

A friend of mine some years back was having a go at stand-up comedy and opened on a bill at The Comedy Store headlined by Rob Van Dam also trying his hand at stand-up. 

The rest of the bill was the usual array of not-quite-headline-level-yet stand-ups working the LA circuit.

Some poor kid brought his replica WWE Championship belt to THAT. And sat FRONT ROW.

That dude got savaged by damn near every other comedian taking the stage that night. I have never felt more sorry for a wrestling fan with a replica belt than that night. 

Bringing a replica wrestling belt anywhere other than a wrestling show is a major no-no. I had a replica of the ECW Television title I bought in 2001 for $200 and sold in 2009 for $100. 

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Oh to be a small child again so my Optimus Prime action figure can main event wrestlemania against my hulk hogan figure

I preferred playing with the AWA Remco figures as a kid because they were the same height scale as the He-Man/Masters of the Universe line so I could run He-Man/Fabulous Ones vs Skeletor/Road Warriors and Man At Arms (w/Teela) vs Jimmy Garvin (w/Precious) among other matches

• Like 6

One of the best posts I've ever read on DVDVR or the internet in general was the one about someone's Papa Shango action figure being a combination of Brock Lesnar, Undertaker, and Andre the Giant whenever he was introduced into a wrestling match. 

• Like 2

I've seen it a few times here already, so I'm not calling out anyone in particular... but please don't use the word "Vincel" to describe a WWE fan.  

It's to say the very least, a loaded term.     

*no pun intended you jackals*

• Like 9

If you really wanted to shame us out of bad message board behavior, you could just add the line, "What are we, Wreddit?" to your warning posts. 

We would be properly chastened. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I preferred playing with the AWA Remco figures as a kid because they were the same height scale as the He-Man/Masters of the Universe line so I could run He-Man/Fabulous Ones vs Skeletor/Road Warriors and Man At Arms (w/Teela) vs Jimmy Garvin (w/Precious) among other matches

I had a Chuck Norris action figure ( I have never another on if these before or since ) that would get booked against my he-man figures 

• Like 3

Remco used those bodies for all sorts of figures, they did a "Lost World of the Warlord" line in 1982 to try and cash in on MotU, ninjas, Sgt. Rock (to cash in on GI Joe), etc. And when Remco went out of business, the machines/molds for those bodies were used for all sorts of bootleg and knock-off figures.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

CWM posting on the Dean thread did make me think "hey, remember the TSM forums?"

TSM spawned from Scott Keith's old forum, right?

Is there a history breakdown of how everything splintered off from RSPW - I'd like to read that

Did any of you use your wrestling figures in a non-wrestling context?

I used to run a baseball league as a kid, mostly because I liked tabulating the batting averages and keeping stats. I'd set up my Where's Waldo and I Spy books to make the outfield walls and everything. I was a weird kid.

Anyway, it used a mixture of baseball cards and action figures. Michelangelo (TMNT, not Renaissance artist), Albert Belle (Fleer '91), Bret Hart, and later Razor Ramon were HOFers in that league. Belle probably doubled his IRL career WAR in my baseball league, not that WAR was a thing at the time. 

Razor's line drive rate was truly elite. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

TSM spawned from Scott Keith's old forum, right?

Is there a history breakdown of how everything splintered off from RSPW - I'd like to read that

for some reason, the word Rantsylvania comes to mind, I forget if that was a site or a board too

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

The real issue with replica belts is that no one has ever looked cool at a show holding one.

This joke's been told before but I think people will replica belts should to defend them against people with replica MitB briefcases

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I've seen it a few times here already, so I'm not calling out anyone in particular... but please don't use the word "Vincel" to describe a WWE fan.  

It's to say the very least, a loaded term.     

*no pun intended you jackals*

But it’s still ok to call Republicans every slur I can think of, right?  You don’t seem too offended when members pile on conservatives.

So was Backlash the most consistently hot crowd we've seen for a wrestling card?

Meaning there have been hot crowds at moments before, obviously, but there were lulls. A card like the Clash at Fort Bragg in front of drunk military men was hot and seemingly ran out of gas at times too. 1998/1999 crowds had high peaks but also had valleys.

Also always helps the ability to perceive energy when the crowd is in an arena with better acoustics to sound loud than the acoustics of a wrestling card at a Puerto Rican baseball stadium (or the reality that they had to keep the fans far away from the ring for classic PR cards)

Might be a little too cliche but the Backlash crowd was sorta like a World Baseball Classic crowd compared to an MLB crowd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

If you want to really get technical, RSPW splintered off from rec.sport.misc (I think - my memory is less reliable now that I’m 937 years old).

• Like 3
  • Haha 2