DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/7/2022

Dolfan in NYC

You can gut half of this roster and still be able to put on wildly good shows. This is the upside to the bloat. You can pull a classic episode with three MAJOR matches and a top-tier promo segment while the clucking masses think your shit's on fire.

About goddamn time there was a proper Griselda x AEW event. Flipside is these upstate crowds are weird.

Swerve Strickland's effortless switching between face and heel is prodigal. I don't disagree with some of the Segunda Caida-ist criticisms of his moveset but I think he's been the AEW MVP of the week.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

ALLRIGHT!  AEW!  It's MJF!  SHOOT ANGLE!  It's Tony Khan!  Everything has been VACATED!  Well, I'm excited!  SAMMY GUEVARA GETS THE STRAP~!  MJF is OVER in Buffalo!  A Ti-Cats Sucks! sign!  MJF IS BETTER THAN MOSES!  MJF assumes the roll of THE ROCK!  MOX!  MJF HEEL TURN!  SHOOTING!  MJF vs MOX will be fun.  MOX did pretty good for a guy who should be on vacation.  SAMMY! SAMMY! SAMMY!  HOLY SHIT!  DANIELSON vs HANGMAN!  I am... sad... that we can't have the TRUE best wrestler in the tournament.  ADAM MOTHERFUCKING COLE!  Adam Cole vs MJF for the strap will be so fucking awesome.  JANE!  PENTA! REY FENIX! PAC!  PENTA BEATING THE FUCK OUT OF DANHAUSEN!  LORD, LET IT HAPPEN!  Oh, I forgot about the recent PAC/Orange Cassidy dustup!  IT'S A WORK THOUGH!  PENTA and Cassidy fuck around early and then they kick it into gear.  These trios belt matches are so reminiscent of late 90s WCW Lucha Libre matches- just a distillation of the spectacularness of Lucha.  Rey Fenix is Super Calo, PAC is Blitzkrieg and PENTA is La Parka!  Oh yeah, I always forget that TRENT totally fucking rules.  Danhausen injects himself!  Alex and Danhausen BEGIN! A LEGENDARY! FUED! A LOT OF COOL SHIT HAPPENS!   This match is fucking GREAT!  CHUCK IS ISOLATED!  THAT GNARLY PILEDRIVER!  DARK THINGY!  NEW CHAMPIONS!  AWESOME!  PAC as a double champion is a GREAT idea. ALEX vs DANHAUSEN vs JOSE in a TRIPLE THREAT!  Preston Vance is TURNING EVILER!  The RUSH cameo was awesome. Penelope Ford is with Kip Sabian!  THEY ARE SHOOT MARRIED!  THEY SAY IT ON TV!  It's TONY STORM!  She is married to Juice Robinson.  They should wrestling Tay and Sammy for the straps and make Toni a double champion.  I will not comment on or notice Ford's pants.  I am so very old.  Ford is awesome on offense while we are in picture in picture.  I'm so glad she's back.  Storm is awesome leaning into her offense and making it look even more hellish.  WRECKED EM!  An odd looking Pendulum DDT!  UNBELIEVABLY, TONI STORM RETAINS!  Daddy Magic is MAGIC on the stick!  Shane Strickland is a HEAT MACHINE!  The ACCLAIMED are OVER in Buffalo!  BEE WEE BEE CEE!  Sammy vs Darby will obviously RULE!  It's Wardlow!  Will he be able to beat Tony Nese?  Nese is in the STATE of New York!  It's like a home game for him!  NEW CHAMPION!  I CAN FEEL IT!  Nese does creepy things with Wardlow's pecs.  WARDLOW PULLS THE UPSET!  NESE BEATEN IN HIS HOME STATE!  Josh Woods saves Smart Mark Sterling!  Josh Woods vs Wardlow could be good.  Woods is a total animal and could manhandle Wardlow a little before getting mauled.  Bryan Danielson!  They are soo putting the belt on him.  Lord Regal is so in love with Excaliber.  HE"S AN ECCENTRIC ENGLISHMAN!  Hangman Page!  He was trained by Jimmy Boogie Woogie Man Valiant. They channel fucking Ric Flair versus Wahoo McDaniel and it makes this wrestling match AWESOME.  Danielson works the arm of our Hangman.  AFFECTING HIS CHOPS!  Oh man, this match is fucking awesome.  NICE Death Valley Driver by Hangman.  This match is fucking GREAT.  Crowd RISES for the LaBell Lock!  REAPPLIED!  Oh man, this match is FUCKING GREAT!  DEAD EYE! FOR TWO!  BUCKSHOT LARIAT!  DUCKED! ROLL-UP! FOR THE WIN!  Danielson MARCH TO THE BELT BEGINS!  That was fucking GREAT.  Stokey Hathaway!  Setting up stuff for Rampage or just beating up a dude?  HOLY SHIT!  CLAUDIO vs DAX HARWOOD!  THAT should be good.  Daniel Garcia has a HYPE MAN!  GARCIA is WAAAY OVER in Buffalo!  Oh man, this match is AWESOME.  Yuta wrestling Secret Heel is fun.  This is fun Suplex clinic.  Oh man, this match is fucking GREAT.  This episode is FUCKING GREAT!  GARCIA WINS AND BUFFALO EXPLODES!  That was a fucking GREAT finish.  Man, there is nothing like a giant wad of great pro wrestling to wash the stink of SHOOT BACKSTAGE bullshit out of your... mouth.  Or something.  That was a fucking GREAT episode of DYNAMITE.  AEW RULES THE ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Fuck it.

Allin beats Sammy.
Danielson beats Jericho
MJF costs Mox

At Grand Slam Darby wins the World Title (because unlike Punk, Danielson puts people over) and we have Mox/Kingston MDK'ing Jericho/Sammy with Eddie finally getting Jericho to tap out. MJF watches on from a sky box and we build to him v Mox at Full Gear.

MJF goes over and we get a great build for the World Title between two AEW 'Pillars'. MJF can even pull the 'You wouldn't have that belt if it wasn't for me' promo. Him taking out Sting backstage would be huge heat as well.

I know people will want Bryan as champion but I love the idea of him always falling just a breath short and not winning the AEW Title until he's right at the end of his run.

"You don't put the title on Andre" and all that.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 7

And this is just hitting me... they shut that crown down IMMEDIATELY. No CM Punk or Elite chants. Even that initial BOO TONY CHEER VACANT TITLE weirdness lasted seconds. They just fed the crowd big matches and didn't let them breathe, didn't give em time to think.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Two GREAT matches. White hot crowd. Claudio vs Dax, Sammy vs Darby, and Deeb on Rampage. I should be 100% stoked. Man. Fuck CM Punk.

I counted THREE great matches- the Trios championship, Dragon/Hangman and Garcia/Yuta.  Fuck, if they do episodes like this,  I hope Punk and the Bucks throw chairs at each other every week.  BE STOKED, MY BROTHER!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

And this is just hitting me... they shut that crown down IMMEDIATELY. No CM Punk or Elite chants. Even that initial BOO TONY CHEER VACANT TITLE weirdness lasted seconds. They just fed the crowd big matches and didn't let them breathe, didn't give em time to think.

They’ve got a ton of guys/gals on the roster that are over. When you’re not trotting out the latest guy you’re trying to shove down the crowd’s throat against their will, they’ll play ball with you. 

Great show. They handled everything about as well as you could hope. And I’m actually looking forward to see where all the stuff they set up tonight goes. 

• Like 4

Thought the Stokely segment would have worked better if he'd kept talking after they beat up the production guy for telling them to end the segment. Instead, they, you know, ended the segment. Just like the production guy wanted.