DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/23/22

TK needs to spring for more expensive spray tan for the boys. MJF and Adam Cole out there looking like Rudy’s forehead.

Liked most of the show even if I’m not the biggest fan of getting loaded Dynamites.

We need to get Danielson/Mox vs House of Black.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sammy and Tay are doing a hell of a job replacing Cody and Brandi in the "Only Dan Lambert can get these guys cheered" feud.

MJF's promo kinda missed the mark too. He should've watched Samuel L. Jackson's speech in Django and talked about all the horrible things Spears wanted to do to him, but he knows the worst thing he can do is let Wardlow languish in obscurity.

I see 2.0 get the new gimmick, but the rest of the JAS wasn't really building off the great intro promo from last week. Garcia is still too much of a serious wrestler and he's clearly the one the group is designed to elevate. Hoping they do more to not just come across as a poor man's Inner Circle.

Nyla is kind of a flat first challenger. Deeb would've been way better in that spot instead of her never-ending feud with Shida, but props to AEW for not backing off their original plan given the current climate.

Sort of a down episode this week, but if your down episodes still have a good Punk match, a Darby/Crazy old man Sting brawl, and the Blackpool Combat Club wrecking some jobbers, you're in good shape.

• Like 5

I actually thought Sammy's promo was probably his best and most natural sounding one to date, he actually had some fire in his delivery instead of sounding like he's TRYING to have some fire in his delivery if that makes sense.

The last line about having sex with the belt and his overly public relationship with Tay might rub some the wrong way I guess but the crowd in the building seemed to be into everything, I think it can eventually turn them into a nice young heel couple which wouldn't be a bad thing.

And I guess Nyla Rose is the Kane / Lance Archer of the AEW Women's division.

I also love how Regal acts like Excalibur is no one by calling him "man the mask" but continuously praises his commentary and analysis through matches.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

From the Sasha Banks comments to pulling his fiancée up on stage then jilting her to talking in company of the 8 year old kid about rumours he's "screwing" Tay to this stuff .. Guevara is one weirdly & uncomfortably over-sexualised dude.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

The first half put a huge goddamn smile on my face.  And honestly after the Sammy/Tay segment I decided to save the rest of the viewing for later on tonight.  Instead I played a game about flipping houses which is much more fun than it has any right to be.

As for the first half I smiled the whole time watching Punk/Dax knowing that it was a "Bret loves me more!" battle.  It never occurred to me until just now that I can see Punk, FTR and Bret have their own group to combat MJF's updated Pinnacle crew.  Not sure if there's enough people to justify a Blood and Guts but that would be a pretty hot feud.  Then again just knowing that all signs point to Bret being with FTR soon gives me all the warm and fuzzies.  And if they're together for the May 4 Baltimore show?  Oh, fuck that's going to be *chef's kiss*  It's also pretty wild that it went from the super fun No-DQ tag into Danielson/Moxley crushing it with a damn good promo to top it off.  It's pretty hard to get much better than that.

As for Sammy/Tay I didn't believe it when somebody here suggested Tay go heel.  She's just so damn sweet that it would just be hard to possibly boo her.  But then Serena turned heel and after that practically anything's possible.  And no I'm not comparing the two per se, just mentioning sweet people who can make for great heels.  As for THAT line they are in a feud with Paige and Florida Man so unfortunately things are going to get Russo-rific.  I didn't like the line but do think this'll be a good transition to Sammy/Tay as full-on heels after this feud.

• Like 2

Oh you uptight prudes.  If I was a pro wrestler / babyfaced assassin in my prime and my girlfriend looked like Tay Conti, I'd definitely be saying and doing inappropriate things and I'd be proud of it.

Dax vs. CM Punk was pretty good.  Marked for Punk breaking out the Anaconda Vice and mixing up his finishers.  Also loved Dax countering the GTS into an attempted Sharpshooter.

8-Man tornado tag was very predictable.  

BLACKPOOL COMBAT CLUB is a pretty awesome stable name.  I really miss the Dark City Fight Club.  We have already seen Julia's heel stylings on Dark.  I think it is time to pay off the eyepatch gimmick before Julia becomes the Iron Mike Sharpe of AEW.

Wheeler Yuta - "I'm not trying to be the best friend I can be.  I am trying to be the best wrestler I can be."  FUCK YEAH~!

Lethal vs. Adam Cole was good for what it was; an RoH upper mid-card match.  I appreciate Excalibur convincing me that this match had some overall importance.  

I am starting to like this Jericho Appreciation Society heel stable, or at least its investment in the push of young Daniel Garcia.  I was afraid that Khan would blow his wad and have Santana and Ortiz run in, but the book did the right thing and let the heels stand tall for the night.  Let this thing breathe for a little. 

I am guessing that the multiple Sharpshooters over the course of the evening were in tribute to Bret Hart since he beat Austin at WM13 twenty-five years to the day of the airing of last night's Dynamite.  There were too many to be unintentional, especially when one of the guys breaking it out is beloved pro wrestling scholar and gigantic mark, Dax Harwood.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I really dug the main event.  I thought Silver and Reynolds looked super-strong in the loss.

If AEW is really busting out some trios titles, Punk/FTR would be a nice entry into the tournament.  They could be the HAS (Hart Appreciation Society).

I love @Matt D's idea that FTR needs to run up against Danielson/Mox at some point.  I'd love it if Blackpool Combat Club (are these motherfuckers going to get me to actually buy a wrestling t-shirt?) keep running through lower-tier tag teams, and FTR is the one they finally have trouble with.

I'm with you all on the Sammy segment.  The only positive for me is that I really thought he was going to propose to Tay the way that promo started off.  I was like, "Oh, man.  Not again."

• Like 4

7 hours ago, The Great ML said:

Sammy/Tay was gross...so was the unnecessary line about Jesus Christ.

Like I said earlier, that was an ad lib by MJF responding to the crowd chanting "Jesus" because of a guy dressed like Jesus in the audience. 

10 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

Now imagine they add pco as thier muscle... or are revealed to be a vecna cult.

Pirata Morgan is not only still wrestling but has a whole family of pirates to be backup. 

Watched the first half of the show and it definitely deserves the praise. Punk vs. Dax was more Rick Steamboat vs. Dynamite Kid than a Bret Hart match. It's good having a straight wrestling match (especially with the little kids they panned to, gotta raise em right) before something as insane as the Tornado tag, where you got everyone trying to out-crazy everyone else. You have to have some kind of scale for the bumps taken on that one. Darby went down the stairs, Sting almost busted his ass diving, Matt crushed a table, then Jeff crushed a table, but the best one had to be the sudden shot of Jeff just diving over the barricade like vintage Sabu and wiping whoever out. Then you got your brutal asskicking. Those kids are gonna remember this one. 

• Like 5

By the way, Punk putting the noose around his neck to pull himself up and then signal for the belt around his waist was fucking dope. 

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 6

Just now, Hagan said:

Sammy's comment does beg the question about what percentage of wrestling champs got down while wearing the strap? I mean, gotta be a high number. Like, over 90 percent. 

What did Mox say about winning the world title? He had sex with Renee overlooking Times Square on NYE or something? 

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

What did Mox say about winning the world title? He had sex with Renee overlooking Times Square on NYE or something? 

I believe so. To be fair, Mox would be disappointing if he wasn't banging his woman while wearing the WWE belt. 

But, see, now this train of thought has lead me to thinking about Triple Crown champions just rolling into the bedroom triple-strapped up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting response to what felt like a fun show to me.  Punk/Dax, the joyous Texas Tornado, and the Blackpool Combat Club made for such a strong start.  Velvet/Leyla was a total dark horse.  I'm not generally a horseshit finish fan, but Leyla's cheat was worthy of a heel point to the head to show the crowd her confidence in her own intelligence.  The talk segments were certainly a mixed bag.  The JAS stumbled all over their promo.  Tho, the future endavoured line was choice.  As can happen with young Max, he rode the heel cliche line a little heavy, but I kinda dug the Christ line.  If only to see how loose the righteous Christian censors TV headlock has become (tho, my Mom would certainly agree with those offended).  Was Bro-Vince-Russo-Bro the guest episode consultant?  The SAMMY segment... first, Dan Lambert's fantastic promo is being completely overshadowed - 'Tiny Tim and his Girlfriend Lucha Whoreus'!  Advertising Page's fan page with 'find out why Orange Cassidy keeps his hands in his pockets all day'! And the best of all: 'Scorpio Sky hasn't lost a match since Tony Khan reached puberty a year ago'.  Excellent Dan Lambert, Excellent!  Yeah, Sammy's not easily likable, but he was far more coherent and less cliched than usual here.  And I don't begrudge him having a beautiful girlfriend.  The idea that Tay was some dumb exploited little girl here feels like classic mansplain.  It also completely overlooks her very good portuguese/english promo.  Yeah, I didn't dig the cum on the belt comedy, but I do dig seeing/reading the fallout.  If this starts happening every week I'll join the protest.  Considering it doesn't and likely won't I'm totally fine with that one time they said an absurd line in Austin.  Lastly, I can't remember the last time they led into a Rampage so well.  Both the Swerve-Starks and Dustin-Archer video packages were excellent as I expect the matches to be.  I also love how over Hook is that the ppl go crazy simply for a ceremony graphic on a screen.  A-E-Dub!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Hagan said:

But, see, now this train of thought has lead me to thinking about Triple Crown champions just rolling into the bedroom triple-strapped up. 

Kensuke Sasaki has definitely done this, I'd imagine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1