DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/23/22

I am enjoying this recent trend of under-announcing what's going to be on Dynamite. Only four things have been officially announced so far, if I understand correctly. 

Eight-man tornado tag match: Sting, Darby Allin & The Hardys vs. Private Party, The Butcher & The Blade

You're probably gonna need a five-man booth to catch all the action in this one!

I loved Darby Allin vs Butch(er) on Rampage. The "smaller fan favourite gets knocked around the ring, big baddy slips on a nanner peel, blue-eye hits a big move or two for the thrilling victory" formula is a damned good one! These two guys were perfectly cast in their roles. Making it a countout finish was an unexpected twist that worked perfectly.

Deserved to make @Phil Schneider's Ringer column!

Chris Jericho & Daniel Garcia vs. John Silver & Alex Reynolds

I love how Jericho took us from everyone moaning about yet another inner circle talking segment through "Jericho Appreciation Society is a dumb name" to "OK this actually makes sense now and could be really good" in pretty much that many steps.

Jericho is the master of knowing when it's time to switch up his gimmick, and successfully pulling it off to keep things fresh. That's an incredibly valuable skill, isn't it? Understanding when a gimmick has run it's course and become stale and tiresome?(*? at @andyfromkansas*)

MJF speaks

CM Punk appears in person for the first time since Revolution

It's possible that these two things will in fact be one thing. Who will interrupt whom?

Or maybe @JLowe will get to see a Punk match live!

One reason I love this recent trend of under-announcing their TV shows is that AEW keeps filling in the gaps with exactly what I want to see (like Comoroto, Bear Country, and Legit Leyla on network TV).

I was kinda bummed out that The Spooky McEvils didn't give Bear Country any offence in that trios on Rampage. On the other hand, Fuego's rag doll bumping and selling was insane in that match.

I loved Leyla's new gear. No more Russian flag striping. "Legit" in katakana on her top, and "Re-ra" on her bottom. Jericho and Starks riffing on the Japanese writing got a legit lol out of me.

Thanks to the basketball game going long, I had to leave before Lee vs One of the Acc!aimed started, which also bummed me out. I watched the highlights on YouTube. I agree that some of Lee's movements and reactions seemed a bit slow. I also agree that his power moves like his pounce and his yeet look amazing anyway. Hopefully his body fully recovers from the aftereffects of the coronavirus soon.

So: What are you hoping will fill the gaps this week? Hook, obviously, but what else?

I sure wouldn't mind some JD Drake on the main show. Maybe vs Eddie Kingston?

I wonder if Brian Cage is in Texas this week. Or Miro...

Maybe they've been saving AQA's SSP for the network shows?

EDIT: oh, dang! Just read that a Legit One vs The Nice Lady from Momma's Kitchen re-match has been added! (*dances around, winking and "stirring it up" in pure joy).

DOUBLE EDIT: Hey! @JLowe! Apparently you are also getting Jay Lethal vs Dr. Britt Baker DMD's boyfriend Adam "It's Allabouttha Boom!" Coal Bay Bay.  That could be a good one! ROH title re-match. Wonder if they'll reference that.

TRIPLE EDIT: As posted by @DreamBroken below, Blonds vs Mox & Dragon has been added! Lock the windows and bar the doors! It's AEW Dynamite time once more!

Edited by Gordlow
re-match!
  • Like 1

No Hook for me, please.

I want: a Top Flight match, an Acclaimed match or a Bowens singles match, a Violent Idiot Sons match or at least a Regal segment, a Bunny Dark match where she wins, and a Chaos Project Dark match, maybe even one they win

Edit: Lethal-Cole will be a good match but I’m not particularly excited about having to be in an arena full of people singing along. I also said last week I’m over the Hirsch angle, so not excited about that being the women’s match for Dynamite. So much for me manifesting things I really want.

Sammy and Tay are advertised for the pre-event signing (I’m not buying tickets for that) so I would expect one or both of them as well.
Edited by JLowe
multiple Struggles with modern technology
  • Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
59 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I loved Leyla's new gear. No more Russian flag striping. "Legit" in katakana on her top, and "Re-ra" on her bottom. Jericho and Starks riffing on the Japanese writing got a legit lol out of me.

I think that may have been recycling her old Stardom gear so she doesn't get any more bad vibes for wearing her Russian attire. If it was a red top and white shorts, that was what she wore in Stardom.

4 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I think that may have been recycling her old Stardom gear so she doesn't get any more bad vibes for wearing her Russian attire. If it was a red top and white shorts, that was what she wore in Stardom.

Yep! I somehow wasn't aware that she had worked in Stardom. That explains the Japanese writing.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Yeah, I’ve seen that gear stateside before, too.  So either in AEW or Beyond.

2 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Yep! I somehow wasn't aware that she had worked in Stardom. That explains the Japanese writing.

She was part of Hana Kimura's Tokyo Cyber Squad for about month and a half. She only worked half the tour she was supposed to due to the pandemic cutting everything short.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Alas, not driving up to Austin for this one. 

Maybe House of Black / Julia Hart angle happens here and we get some interaction between Brian / Mox and HOB? Try to save the soul of Buddy?

Or just beat some sense into Malakai

4 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Once again, my powers of manifestation misfire slightly.

My son has really gotten into watching AEW every week (his other favorite wrestling is old Andre matches on Youtube).  He likes me to show him what's coming up on the show on Wednesday morning.  I showed him this match, and he said, "Oh, they're gonna beat those guys up real bad."  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Log said:

My son has really gotten into watching AEW every week (his other favorite wrestling is old Andre matches on Youtube).  He likes me to show him what's coming up on the show on Wednesday morning.  I showed him this match, and he said, "Oh, they're gonna beat those guys up real bad."  

Bright boy. Takes after his Dad xxx.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Me and your son should hang out some time. That rude has great taste in wrestling!

It's fun to watch with him because he's coming in cold on everything.  He has no pre-conceived idea of what should happen, so it's just pure reaction from him.  

He loves Penta and Fenix.  Those are his guys.  He's most excited for them.  He's getting to know most of the roster, and who they're feuding with, so he knows that like MJF and Punk being out at the same time could lead to some action.  He does not like CM Punk.  I asked why, and he just said, "I don't have to like all of the good guys."  Fair enough.

This is reminding me that I need to get off my ass and order some AEW action figures for his birthday.  He wants Lucha Brothers and Jurassic Express to be their opponents.

Oh, I should mention that his favorite moment so far was Keith Lee tossing Isaih Cassidy.  He talked about that for weeks.

Edited by Log
  • Like 8

That's cool to hear. It takes a long time to create new fans, so it may take years of aew putting on quality content to get to that next step if that's even possible. They got the biggest name they could possibly get and it has certainly helped some but there's no shortcut like what WCW did these days. nWo certainly helped of course but I don't think there's a magic bullet anymore. Gotta build new fans for the next generation and build your own stars. Khan's best strength as a booker is his commitment to the young stars in the making. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

I'm going to have the goofiest fucking grin when that comes on.  Just hope they put it on before 9 so I can watch it live and not have to go upstairs to watch it then watch again tomorrow for my wife's sake.  Getting up early on Thursdays does a number on her staying up Wednesday night.

Actually, on second thought watching this again would be a really great thing anyway.  So maybe after 9 isn't the worst thing in the world.

• Like 3