DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

I get why it’d be popular, it’s a simple flat back bump with minimal physical effort to set up that’s an easy transitional move. I’ve seen some where they manage to make it look impactful, but it’s definitely one of those moves that I don’t find very engaging. 

There's fewer Russian Leg Sweeps because too many people try to be Shawn, and not enough people try to be Bret.

(Doesn't one of FTR use it?)

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

Very interesting wrestling history tidbit!

For a second I thought these were atttibute points totals for the new 2k game about to come out.

I’d have ranked Killer quite a bit higher than that. 

I’ll see myself out.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Why do I feel like I never see a Russian leg sweep anymore? Seriously, maybe I'm having a brain fart but I it seems like one of those lost moves.

Watch Stardom. Lady C and Mina Shirakawa use it semi-regularly. 

• Like 1

I've seen the Russian legsweep on AEW Dark shows a few times recently. Great spot in a tag match where one guy was too small to do it, so later his partner came in and they did a double.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

The atomic drop and Greco Roman knuckle lock are sorely missed. 

Thrr Atomic Drop isn't used because no one can sell it as good as Rick Rude. Now I wish mpre people did an actuall running Bulldog Headlock these days. I always thought it was better than people doing off th top  or a face crusher

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

Thrr Atomic Drop isn't used because no one can sell it as good as Rick Rude. Now I wish mpre people did an actuall running Bulldog Headlock these days. I always thought it was better than people doing off th top  or a face crusher

James

One of the FTR guys did  a really good atomic drop sell in the Punk/Moxley match a couple weeks ago.  Not Rude-level but still really good.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, nate said:

Didn't a tag team once use a clothesline/Russian leg sweep combo?

Google/Wikipedia says the Authors of Pain used it. I feel like somebody else used it, since I think it used to be in one of the old Smackdown games.

The Majors Brothers used it too...

https://gfycat.com/shadymajesticindianglassfish

It was listed as STO/Russian Legsweep in the tag team combo moves.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, nate said:

Didn't a tag team once use a clothesline/Russian leg sweep combo?

Could be the Authors of Pain did. Whatever happened to those guys... 

I really feel like Back Body Drops have become a rarity. Generally speaking, the "basics" seem to have disappeared and been exchanged with signature moves. 

• Thanks 1

Presumably thanks to "Uncle Tony" there are now a bunch of ROH TV shows up on the FITE app. Free, with commercials (for Car Shield). 

Just had time to watch the first half of the American Dragon HOF episode. They show a complete match, vs KENTA! Dang, that was a hard-hitting, fast, and exciting bout! 

Who knows? We might get to see them face off again in the G1, or in AEW, some day. It would be interesting to see how they wrestle each other today, compared to back then. 

It looks like they also show a full Nigel match in the second half of the show. I'm interested if other people have found this on FITE. I'd like to hear recommendations for what to watch next.

What a great time to be a wrestling fan!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Kylie Rae does a Russian legsweep floated into a cross face. I just made it in move craft for Fire Pro the other day.

I wish I could tell you how odd it is to scroll through a topic and see young me in someone's signature. Gave me a healthy chuckle, thanks for that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1