DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

4 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

Just a thought, whenever we as fans talk about giving people the book, we usually go to the older names, the cornettes, the j.r.s, etc.

whatever you can say about Tony khan, he is (1)a new mind for booking and (2)much younger then the establishment of bookers. He’s not perfect but has a long time ahead of him to keep getting better. We need more like this. Is there anyone out there who we can look for helping bring wrestling forward? Get new fresh ideas?

This is what I've been saying in regards to WWE for years now. Vince Jr took over from Vince Sr when Sr was like 60. Would WWE have evolved into what it became if Vince Sr had stayed until his mid 70s? (I know he didn't live that long, just go with it). Getting a young Vince Jr in there with new ideas totally revitalized the business. What would 1995 WWE look like with Vince Sr still in charge?? That's where we are now. Vince Jr has hung on way too long and deprived us of a wrestling business evolution that whoever took over for him would bring.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, J.H. said:

We know one thing for certain, only guys with beautiful punches shall be booked!

James

Everyone would have great names, and there would also be a fair number of wrestlers in tiny pants,

• Haha 1

In which Jerry Lawler introduces a 100lb bag of wheat and says the Day After is a commie plot

guessing some 1980s wrestling promoters would have run a “using Russian oil to tar and feather the babyface somehow” angle these days if they could

2 guesses about what happens to the 100lb bag of wheat that Lawler leaves at the desk.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I said the other day imagine what Watts' TV would be like, regarding the Russian invasion. 

Bill Watts’ Estonian wife would be getting so many mentions.

meanwhile I’m watching Superbrawl 2 this afternoon and after seeing Liger’s shinbreaker/figure four, I’m putting Liger in the Horsemen so that he can be the villain that DEAN’s (possibly former) older woman coworker thinks that he is

• Like 2

Liger was already a Horsemen... kinda... but not really... I continue to go over in my head the DWA (DEAN Wresting Association) and trying to figure who gets a finisher called the "TILDE BANG~!"

James

9 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Liger was already a Horsemen... kinda... but not really... I continue to go over in my head the DWA (DEAN Wresting Association) and trying to figure who gets a finisher called the "TILDE BANG~!"

James

Based on their hypothetical Southern Indie Wrestling Names generator it would be someone like Outlaw Lance Page.

Edited by JLowe
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2022 at 9:18 PM, NoFistsJustFlips said:

This is what I've been saying in regards to WWE for years now. Vince Jr took over from Vince Sr when Sr was like 60. Would WWE have evolved into what it became if Vince Sr had stayed until his mid 70s? (I know he didn't live that long, just go with it). Getting a young Vince Jr in there with new ideas totally revitalized the business. What would 1995 WWE look like with Vince Sr still in charge?? That's where we are now. Vince Jr has hung on way too long and deprived us of a wrestling business evolution that whoever took over for him would bring.

Vince is going to book WWE until he's no longer physically able.  I'd say "no longer mentally able" but we're far past that point.

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I said the other day imagine what Watts' TV would be like, regarding the Russian invasion. 

If he was booking today, the Putin-aligned Russian wrestlers would be the babyfaces vs The Liberal Boogeymen: a heel group of pro vaxxers, trans rights activists, and people who think blacks should be allowed to eat at Denny's.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2022 at 1:12 AM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Oh, you really don't know (and it's about more than camp)...

I'm not going to link to *that* subreddit, but it's always worth checking in to see who their current fave is. I believe Sammy Guevara & his pants that are too small for his butt have been in the lead for awhile now. And Randy Orton, always, of course.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

If he was booking today, the Putin-aligned Russian wrestlers would be the babyfaces vs The Liberal Boogeymen: a heel group of pro vaxxers, trans rights activists, and people who think blacks should be allowed to eat at Denny's.

Watts would also have an African American as his star attraction.

• Like 1

If this were the 80s I can't decide if we would get Leyla Hirsch denouncing her adopted country and coming out in a hammer and sickle singlet, or go the other way and be a patriotic flag-waving babyface feuding with Masha Slamovich.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

If this were the 80s I can't decide if we would get Leyla Hirsch denouncing her adopted country and coming out in a hammer and sickle singlet, or go the other way and be a patriotic flag-waving babyface feuding with Masha Slamovich.

Said it before, but John SIlver and Pres10 Vance are right there as the new generation Ivan and Nikita Koloff

• Like 2

Agreed, Peterien. 

You know - not to defend the idiocy of Hogan and Bischoff mucking up the Starrcade finish but the fact that Sting was in such a bad place mentally/physically during a lot of that time period does complicate matters some. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hagan said:

Agreed, Peterien. 

You know - not to defend the idiocy of Hogan and Bischoff mucking up the Starrcade finish but the fact that Sting was in such a bad place mentally/physically during a lot of that time period does complicate matters some. 

Yes and no. Sting still ended up with the belt at SuperBrawl, it's not like he got sent home or anything (though he did take some time off I think in the fall, IIRC). If it was deemed too risky to put it on him due to the issues, then fine - understandable. But we ended up in the same damn place! He was on the show every week. No reason he couldn't have went over clean at Starrcade, never been stripped on the first Thunder, and held it til Spring Stampede just as he did anyway.

The article was fantastic, however. Really hammers home just how special this surprise last run is.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Yes and no. Sting still ended up with the belt at SuperBrawl, it's not like he got sent home or anything (though he did take some time off I think in the fall, IIRC). If it was deemed too risky to put it on him due to the issues, then fine - understandable. But we ended up in the same damn place! He was on the show every week. No reason he couldn't have went over clean at Starrcade, never been stripped on the first Thunder, and held it til Spring Stampede just as he did anyway.

The article was fantastic, however. Really hammers home just how special this surprise last run is.

Yes exactly. It should have went down exactly how Hogan put over Goldberg. It should have been a borderline extended squash that had a tiny heat segment with an emphatic win. I don't care if Sting wasn't tan. Or had some personal issues. You built up to that moment for 18 months. You don't get cute with Montreal dusty finish fake outs. You do the right thing and figure out the best way forward with your next move. They didn't punish Sting the performer with that move. They punished their loyal audience that was begging for catharsis.

Put Sting over clean as a sheet. Have Sting come out and talk (for the first time) and say this quest has drained him and he has some personal issues he needs to work on and relinquish the title. Let him go get help. And your audience doesn't feel ripped off. You still get a vacant title. You still can go wherever you want. But you don't piss on your biggest PPV audience of all time.

• Like 9

That Sting piece is great.

I will say that I think I've found my first ever point of agreement with Warrior - Waffle House is amazing. God, I could go for some Waffle House right now. Just drive me to the hospital for artery-declogging surgery right after.