DVDVR Message Board

February 2022 - Professional Wrestling Omnibus Discussion

19 minutes ago, Jiji said:

This rules. Ahmed Johnson is The Man.

People shit on him now about how unsafe he was but we've had Tamina and Nia Jax and other unsafe and unrefined workers since that were much less Charismatic and over and make him look like Nicholas Warren Bockwinkle in comparison 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

People shit on him now about how unsafe he was but we've had Tamina and Nia Jax and other unsafe and unrefined workers since that were much less Charismatic and over and make him look like Nicholas Warren Bockwinkle in comparison 

Wasn’t it more that he hurt himself more often than he hurt his opponents. Remember he’s the only person to wear knee pads on his thighs. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Wasn’t it more that he hurt himself more often than he hurt his opponents. Remember he’s the only person to wear knee pads on his thighs. 

There was that Chris Candido story (that I'm poorly paraphrasing here) where he said that he wrestled Ahmed who hoisted him up in a suplex then just let him go and he fell on his head and Candido thought to himself "Well everyone makes mistakes" then he did it again to him next match and Candido went backstage and said something along the lines of "That guys sucks!" and Ahmed found out and came after him and said he was going to kick Candido's ass and Candido replied along the lines of "Yeah you're bigger than me and you can probably beat me up but this is fake fighting and at fake fighting, you suck!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Not gonna lie, I loved Ahmed as a kid because I thought the Pearl River Plunge was the coolest move ever. Him coming back and joining NOD really killed him for me though like dude Farooq tried to KILL YOU. 

And always....

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

I would say that 97 was the first time the "Final Group" mattered, with three of the last four eliminations being "phantom eliminations". 2001 had important final three, 2002 kinda had final four if iirc. After that it mostly final four, sometimes final six. Says a lot about this year's Rumble, if you ask me. Especially if you go Final Six. 

It seemed like sort of a surprise that Hennig was around near the end in 2002, so that's sorta like the final 4 mattering?

I finally cancelled Peacock and the WWE network. We still got it through the 8th. Going through my “must watch” matches before it goes. 

Lawful Jr. and I just watched Magnum / Tully from Starrcade 85. I don’t think there was a single wrestling move done. They busted each other open with punches. PUNCHES. Every time they got on the mic, the guttural way they said “NOOOOOO” stuck with me. The absurdly hard mic shots. Sticking their fingers in their opponent’s cuts. Baby Doll’s reactions. Tully’s arm wound. The stiffest inverted atomic drop I’ve ever seen. The finish. The look of absolute hatred and disgust in himself by Magnum. Holy shit. Full five stars.

Any other “must watch” I haven’t seen? 

• Like 4

I really can't say that WWF dropped the ball with Ahmed Johnson. I LOVED him as a kid but lets face it, no wrestler has ever come to his defense. Yea other wrestlers are unsafe in our eyes but even Nia/Tamina only are unsafe uh sometimes, it sounds like Johnson was unsafe the bulk of the time (both to himself and his opponents). Its a shame as he was a force and very charismatic, but I can't blame them from moving on if he just couldn't get it together.

10 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I finally cancelled Peacock and the WWE network. We still got it through the 8th. Going through my “must watch” matches before it goes. 

Lawful Jr. and I just watched Magnum / Tully from Starrcade 85. I don’t think there was a single wrestling move done. They busted each other open with punches. PUNCHES. Every time they got on the mic, the guttural way they said “NOOOOOO” stuck with me. The absurdly hard mic shots. Sticking their fingers in their opponent’s cuts. Baby Doll’s reactions. Tully’s arm wound. The stiffest inverted atomic drop I’ve ever seen. The finish. The look of absolute hatred and disgust in himself by Magnum. Holy shit. Full five stars.

That would depend on what you have seen already, right? ?

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I really can't say that WWF dropped the ball with Ahmed Johnson. I LOVED him as a kid but lets face it, no wrestler has ever come to his defense. Yea other wrestlers are unsafe in our eyes but even Nia/Tamina only are unsafe uh sometimes, it sounds like Johnson was unsafe the bulk of the time (both to himself and his opponents). Its a shame as he was a force and very charismatic, but I can't blame them from moving on if he just couldn't get it together.

I always think it's fascinating that the WWF version of Ahmed Johnson is actually a toned down version of Ahmed, because the pre-WWF version that briefly toured Big Japan during their first tour dang near killed a couple of folks. (The video below should start at 32:13. It does not include the match with the tope suicida where Ahmed overshoots and flings himself into the front row. I am not joking.)

10 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I always think it's fascinating that the WWF version of Ahmed Johnson is actually a toned down version of Ahmed, because the pre-WWF version that briefly toured Big Japan during their first tour dang near killed a couple of folks. (The video below should start at 32:13. It does not include the match with the tope suicida where Ahmed overshoots and flings himself into the front row. I am not joking.)

I found it and clipped it out, poor chairs.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
Just now, Kevin Wilson said:

I found it and clipped it out, poor chairs.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

What did those chairs ever do to him?!

Seriously, it was impressive that he had the ups to do it. But yikes.

15 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Well, lawful jr is pretty limited in that he really hasn’t watched much from before 2016 or so.

Then I'd say some of the territorial TV stuff from Dallas and Mid-South. Freebirds/VE, Dynamic Duo/VE, the DiBiase angle, the early UWF stuff,. .

• Like 1

I remember hearing a podcast interview with Steve Austin and Mark Henry, where they were discussing Ahmed, and Austin said that Ahmed told everyone he (Austin) was racist. Which really pissed Austin off, for obvious reasons. 

2 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Ahmed absolutely did not give a fuck if he or anyone else survived his high spots

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Ahmed absolutely did not give a fuck if he or anyone else survived his high spots

Holy shit. Really looks like woulda killed a dude with that, uh, swanton.

Really seemed to be having fun out there, even if he was displaying homicidal tendencies...

Edited by Horatio

4 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Off the top of my head...

War Games 1992

Any Austin/Bret matches 

Flair vs Steamboat and Funk 89

Steiner vs Nasty Boys Havoc 91

Warrior vs Savage Mania 7

• Like 2