DVDVR Message Board

February 2022 - Professional Wrestling Omnibus Discussion

11 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i still do.

there's so many towns i associate with wrestlers (or sometimes wrestling events). to this day i can't hear Sarasota, Florida without immediately thinking of the Macho Man.

I remember in one of her shoot interviews, Sunny said that she and Candido would quiz each other on old wrestler weights and hometowns while driving from town to town. He'd go, "288lbs from Waxahachi, TX" and she'd answer "Dick Murdoch". Kind of a sweet thing that they'd bond over but sad knowing how things turned out for both of them.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

wasn't Damian Demento from the outer reaches of your mind?  Or something like that?

Yes he was.

I also liked Delirious being billed from the Edge of Sanity. Raven being billed from The Bowery is a good one as well.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

i still do.

there's so many towns i associate with wrestlers (or sometimes wrestling events). to this day i can't hear Sarasota, Florida without immediately thinking of the Macho Man.

Same, but Vero Beach and Terry Taylor

• Like 2

I noticed when Justin Roberts billed Jay Lethal from Elizabeth, NJ on last week's Rampage, he said Elizabeth in the Macho Man voice.

Being a Jersey guy, I always had a soft spot for Bam Bam Bigelow and King Kong Bundy being from Asbury Park and Atlantic City.

• Like 5

Grenoble, in the French Alps is another one due to Andre the Giant. A buddy of mine actually lived in Grenoble for an engineering job from about 2013-2018. Said it was a nice town and he enjoyed the skiing there. He and his wife moved back to the States once his kid got big enough to start going to elementary school but he has fond memories of being there.

• Like 3

Funny little story about wrestler hometowns, in his book, JJ Dillon said that when he first broke in and started working as a wrestler (he had been a ref), he didn't really have a gimmick. He randomly chose to be Cowboy James Morrison and picked Provo, UT as his hometown because he had never heard of a wrestler being billed from there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I always liked Akeem being billed from Deepest, Darkest Africa. 

Speaking of Akeem, Gary Hart had a story about how he came up with billing One Man Gang from Halstead Street in Chicago. Apparently, he (Hart) created a backstory for OMG that they used to be running buddies in a street gang called The Halstead Street Warriors and when Hart needed back-up against the Von Erichs, he called up his old gang buddy. And OMG's nickname in the gang (well his other nickname) was "Moon" as a play off of "Bad Moon Risin'" by CCR (which he used as entrance music in WCCW) because whenever he showed up for a gang fight, it was bad news for the other guys. OMG was so committed to the backstory he even got "Moon" tattooed on the side of his head at one point.

• Like 9

From Hell, Michigan: Chris Sabin.

Is there any significance to Colt Cabana being billed as from Maxwell Street, Chicago?

Remember how Johnny B Badd was billed as being from Macon, Georgia? The city was so proud that they decided to actually honour him. So he went there, for the first time in his life, and people kept asking him what neighborhood he was from and which high school he went to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

From Hell, Michigan: Chris Sabin.

Is there any significance to Colt Cabana being billed as from Maxwell Street, Chicago?

Remember how Johnny B Badd was billed as being from Macon, Georgia? The city was so proud that they decided to actually honour him. So he went there, for the first time in his life, and people kept asking him what neighborhood he was from and which high school he went to.

Remember the legendary Cactus anti ECW promo line: "You can be anything in the magical land of WCW... A tough Jewish kid from Brooklyn can become a black man from Macon, Georgia!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It almost slipped my mind, but how about Joel Gertner billing D-Von Dudley from South Central Dudleyville?

well other parts of Joel Gertner's introductions tended to stand out more...

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember in one of her shoot interviews, Sunny said that she and Candido would quiz each other on old wrestler weights and hometowns while driving from town to town. He'd go, "288lbs from Waxahachi, TX" and she'd answer "Dick Murdoch". Kind of a sweet thing that they'd bond over but sad knowing how things turned out for both of them.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I noticed when Justin Roberts billed Jay Lethal from Elizabeth, NJ on last week's Rampage, he said Elizabeth in the Macho Man voice.

Being a Jersey guy, I always had a soft spot for Bam Bam Bigelow and King Kong Bundy being from Asbury Park and Atlantic City.

I'm a Jersey guy too. I can't remember where Candido was billed from, but I remember that his grandfather, Chuck Richards was from Carteret, NJ. I have an old program from a show in Elizabeth that was autographed by Chuck that Chris signed decades later.

Edited by ka-to
posted too soon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ka-to said:

I'm a Jersey guy too. I can't remember where Candido was billed from, but I remember that his grandfather was from Carteret, NJ.

I think it was Spring Lake.

Another Jersey, Raven from Short Hills.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 1

I remember Flair was billed as being from Minneapolis, MN for a long time in JCP (and in the Apter mags) to play up his connection to The Andersons and then at some point they switched over to Charlotte, NC. I wanna say he was billed exclusively as being from Charlotte in 1993 during the build-up to the Vader match at Starrcade.

2 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

I think it was Spring Lake.

Another Jersey, Raven from Short Hills.

That's how I figured out Raven was Scotty the Body without ever have seeing a picture of Raven. PWI always billed STB as being 235lbs and from Short Hills, NJ and then I read a PWI and saw they had a guy named Raven who was the exact same weight and from Short Hills.

Edited by cwoy2j