Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Running house shows seems stupid. Regular house shows anyway.

Unless the plan on doing an old school loop of specific cities, I can't see how financially good this will be. Only a hand full of places even allow 50% capacity at the moment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slightly off topic, forgive me, but either somebody put something in my water or the posters here have been on fire today. Every 😆 I have left on a comment marks a post that literally made me laugh out loud. There have been a bunch of other posts that at least got a big grin out of me. Keep it up, lads. Thanks for helping me get through an otherwise rough day with a goofy smile on my face.

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Running house shows seems stupid. Regular house shows anyway.

I was going to reply to this with a similar post to what @Phantom Lordsaid. House shows the way they were doing them are passe, and it's not a huge stretch to say they probably took years off a lot of talented men and women's careers (or worse). Though, the kind of paradoxical flip side to the idea that they're passe, is maybe taking that old school approach and hyping a big card in a big market from time to time. See how they do and maybe you do one or two a month if they're profitable. You tape the shit anyway, and then it's more "hidden gem" content for peacock and footage you can use down the line for documentaries and comps

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

Candido is what I would consider a holistic good wrestler (kind of like Ted DiBiase or Arn Anderson) where pointing you to a "good match" is wrong in a way? I would think you'd be better off grabbing matches in one  month chunks and watch for tendencies rather than to be blown away. It will be tons of really good and maybe not a ton of great but he's not always trying for great because he was working to his role a lot of the time.

I'm just quoting you to say that I absolutely love the term holistic good wrestler to describe that phenomenon. And for the record, I also completely agree with that analysis - I think anyone here could give you five or ten on each

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Unless the plan on doing an old school loop of specific cities, I can't see how financially good this will be. Only a hand full of places even allow 50% capacity at the moment.

I assume the anticipation is by July a lot more places will be closer to 100 percent. Certainly seems to be trending that way in most states. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's possible they're either counting on a post-pandemic bump in interest in live events or using this as a way to gauge what the market will be like going forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For WWE, what is the purpose of non-relevised house shows, anyway?  TV deals are netting them more money than they'll ever need.  WWE merch can be had in ways other than at the concession stand.  They could cancel non-televised house shows altogether and be fine, and their workers would be much healthier.  So what's the deal?  Just Vince being stuck in that old school mentality?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Slightly off topic, forgive me, but either somebody put something in my water or the posters here have been on fire today. Every 😆 I have left on a comment marks a post that literally made me laugh out loud. There have been a bunch of other posts that at least got a big grin out of me. Keep it up, lads. Thanks for helping me get through an otherwise rough day with a goofy smile on my face.

554786186bb3f78f7d33ba2f?width=1200&form 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

For WWE, what is the purpose of non-relevised house shows, anyway?  TV deals are netting them more money than they'll ever need.  WWE merch can be had in ways other than at the concession stand.  They could cancel non-televised house shows altogether and be fine, and their workers would be much healthier.  So what's the deal?  Just Vince being stuck in that old school mentality?

Merch, having everyone work matches and run cities that "aren't fit for TV"

Remember they LOVED to practice big PPV matches on the House Show loop (usually not with the finish the PPV was going to have).

I am not saying that is the right way to do it but that why. (It is probably more important to run house shows on the development level which but that is a different conversation. I think we have all seen plenty of example the last like 18 months of guys who needed more matches (especially in front of a crowd) before they showed up on TV)

With merch - I think everyone overestimates, at least pre-pandemic, how much fans where buying via WWE.com. It was also at the house shows and then at like maybe Walmart. Now post pandemic, who the hell knows. But that is why middle and lower class guys used to bitch if the merch tent was only selling Austin and Cena shirts.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cool, thanks.  I'm definitely overestimating WWE.com, just looking at things through this modern mindset where I can order stuff from Amazon on my phone and get it today or tomorrow, figuring people who want a Drew McIntyre shirt will just get one online instead of waiting for WWE to come to their town in a few months.  I'm not really considering the house show merch mindset is more about impulse buys and buying something as part of the overall experience of going to a show. 

Anyway, the company I work for relies, in (large) part, on arenas and stadiums being open, so I'm cool with it.  🤑

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

Candido is what I would consider a holistic good wrestler (kind of like Ted DiBiase or Arn Anderson) where pointing you to a "good match" is wrong in a way? I would think you'd be better off grabbing matches in one  month chunks and watch for tendencies rather than to be blown away. It will be tons of really good and maybe not a ton of great but he's not always trying for great because he was working to his role a lot of the time.

"Holistically good wrestlers and their matches" would be a great thread. I'd put Lance Storm in that category as well. There aren't a bunch of spectacular matches of his that jump out at me but I can remember a lot of really good solid ones and I remember him being the only thing holding together matches in ECW and WCW where if he wasn't there, they would've been train wrecks. I think Brad Armstrong fits that bill as well.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Speaking of Dave - he (and I am sure now others) say that the WWE is working out a deal with Speedball Mike Bailey.

The WWE is helping him working through his Visa issues

He had best bring his chum Buxx Belmar with him. I dig The Dirty One. I don't care if he is "retired".

4f69c4a8b274f99b3216cfd6685a31d192d91359

- RAF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know if anyone really cares but you guys seem to like this stuff. I've started posting cool pictures from newspaper articles I'm looking through on my Twitter @stevesgraps. I'm working on a book and if I see some cool pics I've been sharing them. Mostly stuff from the 60s and prior but still. I figured some of you might like this kind of stuff.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

He had best bring his chum Buxx Belmar with him. I dig The Dirty One. I don't care if he is "retired".

4f69c4a8b274f99b3216cfd6685a31d192d91359

- RAF

I could see this being Jericho in his carbohydrate, sequined jumpsuit, young girls in white cotton panties, waking up in a pool of your own vomit, bloated purple dead on a toilet phase.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My understanding of the thought process behind the house show loop is there is a lot of value to the company in running these B, C, and D towns which are light on major sports and live entertainment. House shows are extremely kid heavy and you’re creating new fans. At least in theory this is supposed increase ratings, bump up merch/sub numbers, etc.

Whether this is actually true or the best use of company resources is debatable.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

I could see this being Jericho in his carbohydrate, sequined jumpsuit, young girls in white cotton panties, waking up in a pool of your own vomit, bloated purple dead on a toilet phase.

He will no longer require his extensive collection of name tags and hair nets.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

One more for the bingo card

[Bryan heaps praise on a match, typically by saying "I. Thought. This. Match. Was... AWESOME"

[silence]

[Dave says "...it was a good match!", with little apparent enthusiasm]

Ugh, I really dislike when Dave does this.  It's really passive-aggressive.

My favorite Dave moment lately was him asking Bryan where he likes to eat, then responding to Bryan's answer by saying "I knew you were going to say that.  I wanted to have a joke ready but....", THEN going on a tangent about the  kind of joke he wanted to make but couldn't think of something funny and self-critiquing jokes he thought of that he didn't think were funny enough.  And, finally, he repeats himself and says "So, yeah. I knew what you were going to say and wanted to have a joke ready but didn't.

I have no idea why he wasted a minute of my life on that.  A normal person would have tried to think of a joke, failed, and just moved on without saying anything.

I do have to give the mad scientist who built Dave props.  95% of the time, Dave does a very convincing imitation of a real person. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are there any "tape traders" still around?  I haven't bought from any in years, maybe a decade or longer, and don't even remember the names of people I used to buy from, much less their contact info.  Is there anyone reliable still around in the US?

Spoiler

Basically, I'm looking for complete seasons of Lucha Underground.  The only licensed DVDs I see around are PAL sets made in Germany (I think).  Looking for something I can play on a region 1 DVD or blu ray player without much fuss.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Eoae said:

Are there any "tape traders" still around?  I haven't bought from any in years, maybe a decade or longer, and don't even remember the names of people I used to buy from, much less their contact info.  Is there anyone reliable still around in the US?

  Reveal hidden contents

Basically, I'm looking for complete seasons of Lucha Underground.  The only licensed DVDs I see around are PAL sets made in Germany (I think).  Looking for something I can play on a region 1 DVD or blu ray player without much fuss.

 

IVP Videos is still legit.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...