Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling


Recommended Posts

Just a quick point here: Didn't WWE stop doing the free month the middle of last year, and get a fairly nice increase in paid subscribers right after? Maybe around Summerslam?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Fox will push back on Peacock being heavily promoted on their network. And if they do, how Vince & Co will handle it.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Their popularity is at historically low numbers, and yet they're still able to talk people who should know better into giving them astronomical amounts of money. It's astonishing. I ain't even mad, I'm impressed. 

This never would have happened under Jack Donaghy's watch, though.

Everything is about streamers these days, and streaming platforms want content, the more exclusive, the better.

It does seem weird though they spent $1 billion just to basically rent the WWE Network for five years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't the WWE's pre-pandemic house show attendance be viewed as the canary in the colemine when figuring out how healthy their business and popularity is?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Shouldn't the WWE's pre-pandemic house show attendance be viewed as the canary in the colemine when figuring out how healthy their business and popularity is?

Which, they were reportedly losing money on house shows. They were cancelling events and scaling back the schedule, often only doing 3 or 4 nights a week per brand instead of 5.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Which, they were reportedly losing money on house shows. They were cancelling events and scaling back the schedule, often only doing 3 or 4 nights a week per brand instead of 5.

To add to this, I recall seeing reports saying they're not going back to the original model regardless of how the pandemic goes

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Craig H said:

So, to show an example of how fucking annoyed I am at my old man brain, I can still remember how the theme song for ProStars goes, but I can't remember family trip stuff from 6 years ago 😕

we are in the same boat, my friend!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Topanga > Kelly Kapowski

Eddie, i like you man, you're a nice guy. but you're really pushing my buttons here.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

We all know how WWE hammers people over the head non-stop with whatever they're pushing. They are gonna run the promotion of Peacock into the ground during the weekly shows. 

i can't decide if a Goobledy Gooker Peacock is the best idea or the worst.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, twiztor said:

Eddie, i like you man, you're a nice guy. but you're really pushing my buttons here.

Is the truth that painful?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Domestic Houseshows aren't needed anymore with all these deals, revenue, alternative ways to make money. The business model has changed for WWE.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting to view it as a promotional tactic, a billion dollars for a 5 year full court press. Will they also save a fortune by laying off everyone who took care of the accounts and other parts of the Network that Peacock will now take care of for them? I don't know much about business but that sounds like a WWE thing to do. Then the Network can wander from service to service for increasingly bigger figures somehow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, D.Z said:

Domestic Houseshows aren't needed anymore with all these deals, revenue, alternative ways to make money. The business model has changed for WWE.

Except for the fact the performer contracts are still heavily skewed towards the majority of your income is based off of house show bonuses. WWE did away with PPV bonuses when the network started. They took away third party platforms last year. They are now scrapping house shows completely. Merch bonuses is legitimately the only source of income now for the performers, outside of the downside guarantee. Which kind of makes downside guarantees obsolete and carny as fuck. Hey pal take a lower salary here but you'll make it up in bonuses if you do well. (But we're gonna take away 75% of the bonus opportunities so actually you'll pretty much just make your downside. Haha. Capitalism pal, gotta love it.).


Multiple billion dollar deals in the last 18 months for the company. But the earning power of the performer has never been lower than it is now.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

It's interesting to view it as a promotional tactic, a billion dollars for a 5 year full court press. Will they also save a fortune by laying off everyone who took care of the accounts and other parts of the Network that Peacock will now take care of for them? I don't know much about business but that sounds like a WWE thing to do. Then the Network can wander from service to service for increasingly bigger figures somehow.

They don't even have to promote anything for the next five years. It can be the same thing it is now every second of television for the next five years, from NXT up to WM, and it simply will not matter one bit to the bottom line. It's fucking baffling.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there are two separate issues with house show business here. What the company needs (getting guys ring time, wrestlers earning money, maybe merch sales) and doesn't need them for (income) is one of those things.

The other is what cratering house show business tells us about their overall popularity.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So do these recent developments mean WWE is going to sign Dalton Castle and give him a huge push as the face of Peacock???

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Craig H said:

So, to show an example of how fucking annoyed I am at my old man brain, I can still remember how the theme song for ProStars goes, but I can't remember family trip stuff from 6 years ago 😕

Maybe you all just sang the theme song?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Taken from f4wonline.com:

In an interview with Sportskeeda, McIntyre said a cinematic match against “The Fiend” Bray Wyatt for the WWE Championship isn’t something he’s interested in right now: “Maybe eventually, not right now. I'm WWE Champion and I think, in fact I know, like the way I've been building the title, it's about the honor and respect and about wrestling. And there's room on the show for everything, a little bit something for everybody, different characters. It'd be boring if everyone was the same and The Fiend's unique character is so incredible, so out there, but I don't think that's something I think I want to mix the WWE title with. Like that's for, you know that portion of the audience and for me as a fan to watch and be blown away by the spectacle. But when it comes to the WWE Championship, I expect it to be in a wrestling match. You know, like man-on-man, fighting over the title with respect and honor. And that's what I'm all about, that's how I've tried to represent the title and that's how I think it should be represented. Not in a comedic fashion or an outlanding fashion, but a realistic wrestling environment."

Well said, Drew McIntyre.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

If he wants the World title to be contested as a serious Wrestling contest with respect and honour, he's signed to the wrong company.

  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...