DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Are there any joshi wrestlers in the wwe HOF? Bull isn't and I'd presume she is the most logical choice (former wwf champion and all that). Are the JBA? 

No - the only one remotely close would be Madusa

8 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

What are you guys going on about lol....

WWE is not going to scrap touring / live audiences. They know how much harder their shows are to enjoy 
When things open up they are going balls to the wall touring again. House shows will be gone. But Raw / SD / PPVs will be all over the country / world. There's money to be made from entertainment starved audiences. The optics of crowds being so hyped because it's been 3 years since they've been to a live event are a can't miss prospect. Everyone is right they are a content company now. But that doesn't mean they're going full studio / cgi / tape a year in advance. It's still a touring live event and it always will be.

If WWE completely ditches the Houeshows they'll probably Quadruple their overseas tours because they usually increase the amount of shows internationally when shows of here don't draw well

• Like 3

Vince reportedly enjoys workrate stuff, so I'm sure he might well remember Bull from her '90s run, especially her having a pretty dope match on RAW with Alundra Blayze in 1994, I think it was. Late '94 or early '95.

Bull Nakano is one of those wrestlers who I always really enjoy every time I come across them, but if you asked me who my favorite wrestlers are, I'd never list 'em. But thinking about it, she's basically money every time I see her. 

I was kinda that way with Rick Martel for a long time, too. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

5 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Vince reportedly enjoys workrate stuff, so I'm sure he might well remember Bull from her '90s run, especially her having a pretty dope match on RAW with Alundra Blayze in 1994, I think it was. Late '94 or early '95.

'95, the night after Mania 11. Kinda the show that made "the night after Mania" a thing, also had Sid's turn on Shawn. For the time period, one of the best episodes of RAW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, nate said:

I was today years old when I learned Alex Shelley is a physical therapist.  Good on him.

For those who don't understand the context of Nate's post (and I am sure it's over in the Impact sub-folder but many you are loathe to leave this thread)

Alex Shelley had to pull out of Impact's last PPV at the last minute (he was supposed to be in the main event against Kenny Omega and the Good Brothers)

He posted lasted night that basically he can't take any chances with COVID because his shoot job is physical therapist and he needs to be vaccinated first before he feels comfortable wrestling again 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

'95, the night after Mania 11. Kinda the show that made "the night after Mania" a thing, also had Sid's turn on Shawn. For the time period, one of the best episodes of RAW.

I just watched that Raw like some weeks back. That match was the final one for Bull in WWF BTW. They basically wrote her off as Rhonda Singh debuts as Bertha Faye in her Monster Ripper gear attacking Alundra after the match, which basically went over like a fart in church. Not only did Bull just completely disappear once she lost the match (IIRC you never see her roll out of the ring or take the loser's walk of shame), but Gorilla or whomever is doing play-by-play goes, "SHE'S EVEN BIGGER THAN BULL NAKANO!"

So I was like, "Yeah, Bull is done with the company."

I was watching that show to see the Sid turn, but the actual powerbomb part is not on that particular Raw (at least the network version, it isn't). At first I thought they had just ran out of time. Then, I went to Youtube to see the full turn since I hadn't seen it awhile. I figured out why it wasn't on that Raw based on the raw (pun not intended) footage after that particular episode went off the air: it was because Shawn was being a spoiled, petulant child again.

Basically, what happened was Sid picks up Shawn for the powerbomb, Shawn goes stiff like a three week old rotting corpse as he goes up, and we end up with the most fucked up powerbomb in history where someone wasn't dropped on their head or neck. Sid looks pissed and has do the spot over again. The second powerbomb is the one they use in the footage we saw forever. So not only was Shawn responsible for the butt ugly powerbomb Diesel hit the night before at Wrestlemania, but he was responsible for an even more horrendous looking one the next night in what was suppose to be a money angle. How shitty of a person do you have to be to do that on TWO consecutive nights for the company? I know he was kinda angry he wasn't the guy or #1 person in the company, but there is absolutely no reason to do that. He's extremely lucky he was in a company where nobody would send him a message and try to put him through the fucking mat the next time they did a powerbomb on him. They would have been well within their rights at that point. 

FWIW, kinda related to Bull's time in WWF, I'm shocked they didn't use Kyoko Inoue after the match with her teaming with Alundra/Madusa against Aja and Tomoko Watanabe. This is pre-Golden Corral comes to Japan Kyoko Inoue so she's flying around like a mad woman and the crowd is going crazy. She also looks great selling Aja's offense. Back to Vince, even he loves her stuff as well. Watanabe also looks good in the match to the point where WWF's main girl to carry the division is the worst performer in the match. Madusa looks fine in the match (the match is pretty damn good), but Kyoko is like in entirely different stratosphere. I'm guessing since WWF was already using Bull that AJW absolutely didn't want the woman they were going push to the moon doing a regular schedule for WWF. It's crazy to think though what would have happened if some of those girls went to WWF at that time because that division was no bueno outside of Alundra and Bull. They brought in Pantera Surena to do a match with Bertha on a Raw a few weeks after Bertha debuted in the aforementioned Raw after Mania, and it was just TERRIBLE. I'm guessing Rhonda Singh recommended her since both of them were together as heels in AJW ten years earlier, but it was clear both of them were well past their primes. They were also on completely different pages on some moves. After that match, I'm begging the Zenjo brass to use their girls or at least make a deal with one of the other companies in Japan similar to deal WCW would do with GAEA around that time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

He posted lasted night that basically he can't take any chances with COVID because his shoot job is physical therapist and he needs to be vaccinated first before he feels comfortable wrestling again 

Makes sense.  He said at the time that he didn't have Covid but that it was complicated (although pulling out at the last minutes then making vague comments on social media is a good way to make the situation more complicated).

I guess PT's haven't been vaccinated in most states?  In my state, they're finishing up with the second dose for PT's this week or early next.

It's probably worth noting that my state (WV) was the only state to opt out of the federal government partnership for vaccine distribution. 

I guess Inoki never had a problem with Vince using AJW workers because NJ never had a female division and thus weren't in competition in that respect. 

Just imagine if that era of AJW, or vintage GAEA, was going on right around now in the WWE Women's era. You could book yourself a Mae Young Classic for the ages. 

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

Makes sense.  He said at the time that he didn't have Covid but that it was complicated (although pulling out at the last minutes then making vague comments on social media is a good way to make the situation more complicated).

I guess PT's haven't been vaccinated in most states?  In my state, they're finishing up with the second dose for PT's this week or early next.

It's probably worth noting that my state (WV) was the only state to opt out of the federal government partnership for vaccine distribution. 

He also said in a tweet last night that he didn’t want to get the vaccine so early, so it’s possible he’s having to do this in lieu of getting the vaccine.

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I just watched that Raw like some weeks back. That match was the final one for Bull in WWF BTW. They basically wrote her off as Rhonda Singh debuts as Bertha Faye in her Monster Ripper gear attacking Alundra after the match, which basically went over like a fart in church. Not only did Bull just completely disappear once she lost the match (IIRC you never see her roll out of the ring or take the loser's walk of shame), but Gorilla or whomever is doing play-by-play goes, "SHE'S EVEN BIGGER THAN BULL NAKANO!"

So I was like, "Yeah, Bull is done with the company."

I was watching that show to see the Sid turn, but the actual powerbomb part is not on that particular Raw (at least the network version, it isn't). At first I thought they had just ran out of time. Then, I went to Youtube to see the full turn since I hadn't seen it awhile. I figured out why it wasn't on that Raw based on the raw (pun not intended) footage after that particular episode went off the air: it was because Shawn was being a spoiled, petulant child again.

Basically, what happened was Sid picks up Shawn for the powerbomb, Shawn goes stiff like a three week old rotting corpse as he goes up, and we end up with the most fucked up powerbomb in history where someone wasn't dropped on their head or neck. Sid looks pissed and has do the spot over again. The second powerbomb is the one they use in the footage we saw forever. So not only was Shawn responsible for the butt ugly powerbomb Diesel hit the night before at Wrestlemania, but he was responsible for an even more horrendous looking one the next night in what was suppose to be a money angle. How shitty of a person do you have to be to do that on TWO consecutive nights for the company? I know he was kinda angry he wasn't the guy or #1 person in the company, but there is absolutely no reason to do that. He's extremely lucky he was in a company where nobody would send him a message and try to put him through the fucking mat the next time they did a powerbomb on him. They would have been well within their rights at that point. 

FWIW, kinda related to Bull's time in WWF, I'm shocked they didn't use Kyoko Inoue after the match with her teaming with Alundra/Madusa against Aja and Tomoko Watanabe. This is pre-Golden Corral comes to Japan Kyoko Inoue so she's flying around like a mad woman and the crowd is going crazy. She also looks great selling Aja's offense. Back to Vince, even he loves her stuff as well. Watanabe also looks good in the match to the point where WWF's main girl to carry the division is the worst performer in the match. Madusa looks fine in the match (the match is pretty damn good), but Kyoko is like in entirely different stratosphere. I'm guessing since WWF was already using Bull that AJW absolutely didn't want the woman they were going push to the moon doing a regular schedule for WWF. It's crazy to think though what would have happened if some of those girls went to WWF at that time because that division was no bueno outside of Alundra and Bull. They brought in Pantera Surena to do a match with Bertha on a Raw a few weeks after Bertha debuted in the aforementioned Raw after Mania, and it was just TERRIBLE. I'm guessing Rhonda Singh recommended her since both of them were together as heels in AJW ten years earlier, but it was clear both of them were well past their primes. They were also on completely different pages on some moves. After that match, I'm begging the Zenjo brass to use their girls or at least make a deal with one of the other companies in Japan similar to deal WCW would do with GAEA around that time. 

IIRC Aja Kong was going to be brought in but she had a dark match that was so violent that it freaked everyone out and the plan was dropped.

10 minutes ago, sabremike said:

IIRC Aja Kong was going to be brought in but she had a dark match that was so violent that it freaked everyone out and the plan was dropped.

Wasn't dark, it was (I think) her and Watanabe vs Blayze/ASARI, and it aired on Raw. Kong massacred ASARI with the uraken, legit bloodied her up, and that was it for the division. Of course when Blayze showed up on Nitro with the title the following month, it sort of looked like she was ducking Kong.

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Wasn't dark, it was (I think) her and Watanabe vs Blayze/ASARI, and it aired on Raw. Kong massacred ASARI with the uraken, legit bloodied her up, and that was it for the division. Of course when Blayze showed up on Nitro with the title the following month, it sort of looked like she was ducking Kong.

Anyone have the date on the episode so I can view it on the network?