DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Doc Townsend said:

This seems odd to me.  Or unexpected, at least.  I guess her tv/film career hasn't taken off?

Well apparently the deal includes a development deal and work both on screen and behind the scenes, so it reads more like trying to expand reach for her (say adding producer credits, etc..)

Steady, sure, but it’s not like she’s in blockbusters and critically acclaimed stuff. Take a look at her roles in the past two years for movies and TV and it’s not a whole hell of a lot. 2016 seemed to be her peak year in terms of roles and whatnot.

Well, I mean, most actors aren’t starring in blockbusters or critically acclaimed stuff.  That doesn’t mean they aren’t having successful careers.  If you look at the 10 years since she left G4, she’s worked non-stop.  The majority of actors would kill to have her career during that time span.  She could pick better films, for sure, but it’s clear people want to work with her and she gets work when she wants it.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Well apparently the deal includes a development deal and work both on screen and behind the scenes, so it reads more like trying to expand reach for her (say adding producer credits, etc..)

That makes more sense.

Looking at her Wikipedia entry, it looks like she's gotten a decent bit of work the past few years, albeit not in shows that were likely to make her a bigger star or land her a steady paycheck.  She's apparently landing some smaller supporting roles in films and was cast in a couple shows on channels I don't follow (Starz, History Channel specifically).

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Steady, sure, but it’s not like she’s in blockbusters and critically acclaimed stuff. Take a look at her roles in the past two years for movies and TV and it’s not a whole hell of a lot. 2016 seemed to be her peak year in terms of roles and whatnot.

This reminds me of a conversation I recently had about who is more relevant between Eminem and LL Cool J.  Eminem has put out 11 studio albums and 9 have been #1.  LL Cool J became nationally famous in 1986 and has been on television in some capacity pretty much every day since.  Sure,  Eminem has the blockbusters,  but LL has the better career.  Nothing wrong with constantly working.

• Like 2

Stuart Baker aka Unknown Hinson said some stupid racist bullshit/hateful stuff about Dolly Parton on his social media and is now playing the poor white victim as homeboy has been fired from The Squidbillies and also lost basically all of his musical gigs and endorsements. 

To the tune of If You're Happy And You Know It, everybody!

"If you're racist and you're fired its your fault! If you're racist and you're fired it your fault! ..."

Edit: for clarity, the racism and the Dolly Parton stuff are two different separate bouts of garbage that came out of his face, although both were part of the same post since Dolly is pro-BLM.

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Casey said:

What the fuck? Patriot Act on Netflix has been cancelled.

Mildly surprising to me considering anecdotally people I know actually watched and talked about it fairly often after a new episode dropped. Hopefully he lands a similar gig somewhere else. If not, at least we'll always have that hilarious time when the PM didn't realize the interview he was sitting down for with some comedian wasn't going to be a total softball fluff-piece.

Edited by Andy in Kansas