DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

Well this sure sucks if true.

Yeah, I saw that a little bit ago.  Probably true.  Blume worked closely with  Publick & Hammer to put together a Venture Bros. art book.   Blume is refusing to comment further, but I'm guessing it's because he's not supposed to leak the info ahead of an official announcement.

I just watched season seven a couple weeks ago and was surprised how much I enjoyed it.  It actually it might have become a better show once they stopped focusing on the Venture family and shifted the focus to the Monarch and Gary.  Certainly, it seems to have extended to life of the show.  

Honestly, it's probably time.  I feel like the show could have held onto it's audience better if the creators had been able to get the show out without 2 1/2 year waits before seasons, but obviously that didn't happen (since 20010, anyway).  Though, if they could have gotten seasons out on a better schedule, the series would probably still have run 8-10 seasons and wrapped up years ago.

Edited by Eoae

Watched the We Bare Bears movie with the little one, since that's one of our favorite shows, and we're both bummed out the series is over.

We enjoyed it very much. It was a great way to wrap up the story, and also addressed a lot of themes of some deeper stuff at hand. The ending was lovely, though I'm still sad knowing this is the end.

I had heard Season 8 was planned on being the last, which kind of made sense as they'd pretty much wrapped up most of the main storylines. It sucks they aren't going to have a chance to end everything as they'd planned. Maybe we get a comic eventually.

It's such a weird show for me because it covered multiple stages of my life. The first season isn't much, really, just another parody show in the sea of them (even if an early adopter). It was akin to Sealab or Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, and maybe just a little too mean towards the subject material for me to really dig into. Season 2 really opened things up though and between Seasons 2 and 3, it really pushed the envelope of what a show like that could be, with character development and reveals and most especially world-building. Suddenly the parody wasn't the point but instead a canvas to tell this genre-stretching, norm-stretching show that they wanted to tell. The pop culture references and jokes became the means and not the end. But it took so long between seasons and I more or less moved on with my life and moved in with my wife to be and my stepson and got married and had more kids and they show seemed to regress a bit somewhere in the middle as the rest of the world and prestige tv (over multiple mediums) caught up to it, and the pressure of creating the seasons weighed upon them. I think there was a season or two in there where they just wanted to do dumb parody again. The commute was long and time was short and it just became something I couldn't plan things around or fit into my life. I don't think I've seen the last two seasons but I'm still sad to see it go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Super Ape said:

Watched the We Bare Bears movie with the little one, since that's one of our favorite shows, and we're both bummed out the series is over.

We enjoyed it very much. It was a great way to wrap up the story, and also addressed a lot of themes of some deeper stuff at hand. The ending was lovely, though I'm still sad knowing this is the end.

Is the movie streaming anywhere? We Bare Bears is one of my nephew and our family's favorite shows .

Lovecraft Country is basically following the book, where it doesn't seem there is an overarching story, just the same characters but in the end, what you thought was unconnected stories are actually leading to something worth your time

James

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Is the movie streaming anywhere? We Bare Bears is one of my nephew and our family's favorite shows .

I think you can rent or buy it digitally, though we watched on CN live. I think it's airing again soon.

I take back that statement about Check It Out being the last funny Adult Swim show. The answer is actually The Eric Andre Show. They showed two episodes tonight that had me absolutely rolling. You'd think after years of Jackass the whole public weirdness humor thing would be dead, but he's so good at it. They abducted a child in broad daylight! 

This was really killing me: 

I've seen Exhumed live and they do have a dude with a chainsaw, no vomiting though (at least at the show I was at)

On 9/5/2020 at 8:53 AM, RIPPA said:

Anna Faris will not be returning to Mom for its 8th season.

The role will not be recast and so it will be all Allison Janney

Of course the entire show was based on a dysfunctional mother-daughter relationship so how you get a full season out of the daughter not being there is beyond me

I can see it working without Anna Faris' character.  The show's been more of an ensemble the past few years anyway.  Janney and Faris were still the central dynamic, but the supporting characters had decent-sized parts.  They kinda retooled the show after season 3.  First couple seasons were built around Faris' character's family and job and Janney and Faris had to carry the show because the rest of the cast was kinda meh.  By the end of season 3, they had mostly ditched Christy's ex-husband and her kids (the actors were dropped from the cast and just appeared occasionally) and stopped doing much with the restaurant she worked at in the early years.  They should never have done the season one plotline about Christy having an affair with her boss in the first place.  It made the character really unsympathetic right out of the gate (imo).

After the first few years, they centered the show more around the people in Christy and Bonnie's NA support group and added those actors to the main cast.  I'm guessing they'll play that up more.

All that said, it will probably be skippable.  Most sitcoms are running on fumes by season eight and most shows that replace the lead character like this seem to limp to the finish.  

Re: the Venture Bros.  It sounds like Publick and Hammer were just beginning to write season eight, so I'm wondering how long it would have taken to get the season on the air (it's already been two years since season seven aired).

On 9/5/2020 at 5:53 AM, RIPPA said:

Anna Faris will not be returning to Mom for its 8th season.

The role will not be recast and so it will be all Allison Janney

Of course the entire show was based on a dysfunctional mother-daughter relationship so how you get a full season out of the daughter not being there is beyond me

Seeing a dysfunctional mother-daughter relationship on a daily basis, the daughter disappearing and not being involved in the mother's life for seasons at a time is the most realistic thing to ever happen on that show.  

On 9/4/2020 at 6:31 PM, Andy in Kansas said:

I really don’t think Ken has the on-air chops to be a host. 

You need somebody who is both dry, and charismatic. Also has show biz experience like Trebek had with prior hosting, and acting gigs. Today they should look to somebody like an Anderson Cooper, or Sheppard Smith. Both those guys are charismatic, and likable, but also come off as authoritative with a hint of dryness when reading the news.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Watching a bunch of Alfred Hitchcock Presents on Peacock. 

Like all anthology shows of that era, a treasure trove of stars, young and old. 

Walter Matthew, Robert Vaughn and David White (Larry Tate) as double crossing mobsters. 

Vincent Price and James Gregory as criminal detective and the defense attorney who gets defeated by his sleuthing. 

I started New Girl over again for the 3rd time, and I still think it's one of the better comedies that's been on network/cable TV in the past ten years. For me, it's up there with Parks & Rec and 30 Rock. Zooey Deschanel is criminally underrated, both her acting and especially her band (She & Him). Max Greenfield is far and away the highlight of any episode he's in, but I just love the entire cast.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2020 at 5:37 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You need somebody who is both dry, and charismatic. Also has show biz experience like Trebek had with prior hosting, and acting gigs. Today they should look to somebody like an Anderson Cooper, or Sheppard Smith. Both those guys are charismatic, and likable, but also come off as authoritative with a hint of dryness when reading the news.

Ken has been a regular guest on Doug Benson's Doug Loves Movies podcast and he's pretty funny.