DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I am really enjoying Lovecraft Country. The pilot was simply amazing...   Episode 2 was a tonal shift and completely out to left field and I didn't quite understand what they were going for but then I felt tonight's episode return to form.  Love the shout outs to black heroes and while sad the references to well known (and lesser known) racial injustices. 

• Like 1

I'm waiting to watch episode 3 with my wife, but we're in love with the show so far even though I felt episode 2 was all over the place. I've seen nothing but good word of mouth about episode 3 and how, like you said, it's more like the first episode.

On 8/29/2020 at 8:04 AM, Eoae said:

Chris Carter is producing an animated X-Files spin-off.  It's a comedy based around a group on agents who investigate weird cases that are too silly or inconsequential for Mulder and Scully to bother with.  Variety described it as the X-Files B-Team.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/x-files-animated-comedy-series-fox-1234752625/

Facepalm jean luc picard wesley crusher GIF on GIFER - by Anadred

Sounds like Warehouse 13.

Just announced that Benioff & Weiss of GOT fame/infamy will be developing a Netflix series based on THE THREE BODY PROBLEM (and the rest of the trilogy).  Rian Johnson of TLJ fame/infamy is also on board as an executive producer and would presumably direct at least the first episode.

I’m sure no one will be disappointed/angered by this news!

I haven’t read the books, so I have no opinion on any of this.  At least the trilogy is finished, so you presumably won’t have to worry about Benioff & Weiss going into business for themselves at the finish.

Edited by EVA

I'm going to start Lovecraft Country tonight, but anyone else watching Ted Lasso? I'm enjoying that way more than I thought I would. Watched the first episode thinking I'd get something vapid in the style of Ballers, but I am totally hooked on pretty much everything going on in the show. Love the Sudeikis character and was going to start naming others until I realised I like every supporting character. It's the show I look forward to most for the past few weeks.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Has/have any creator(s) ever had their reputation crater as quickly and thoroughly as those two, based solely on the work they did?

Even M. Night's huge decline took a few movies...

The first name that came to mind is Lindelof, but I suppose he  recovered. 

Maybe Boccho after Cop Rock? 

Boccho might be right there with them, yeah. Although NYPD Blue still going for another decade after that debacle at least sheltered him somewhat. He did never have another real success though.

Edited by Brian Fowler

So, Ken Jennings now has a job at Jeopardy, doing various things including categories, contestant outreach, and various other duties.

My guess is this is basically the first step towards him taking the host job when Alex no longer can do it.

• Like 2

Jennings as the next host seems almost like an SNL skit waiting to happen, where he reads the answers and then immediately says the question while the players are trying to buzz in.  Then when they call him out for knowing the answers already on his cue cards, it turns out it's his grocery list or something.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/2/2020 at 7:40 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Has/have any creator(s) ever had their reputation crater as quickly and thoroughly as those two, based solely on the work they did?

Even M. Night's huge decline took a few movies...

yet the corpse of GoT has barely finished smouldering and they already have another job.

Anna Faris will not be returning to Mom for its 8th season.

The role will not be recast and so it will be all Allison Janney

Of course the entire show was based on a dysfunctional mother-daughter relationship so how you get a full season out of the daughter not being there is beyond me

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Anna Faris will not be returning to Mom for its 8th season.

The role will not be recast and so it will be all Allison Janney

Of course the entire show was based on a dysfunctional mother-daughter relationship so how you get a full season out of the daughter not being there is beyond me

This isn’t new ground since there’s been a Sanford & Son without Sanford and then without the Son, a Laverne & Shirley without Shirley, and an All in the Family with only one member of the Family. 

Ah yes, Channel 5. The Yorkshire Channel. Very popular with the over 60s. Also the UK home of NXT-UK, and technically Impact Wrestling as well.

I don't know what to think of Lovecraft Country now.  Episode 4 was very entertaining to me,  it reminded me of a National Treasure type of adventure.  But while I like the characters and some of the topics that are explored..  I'm not sure I am getting the main story and what the show wants to be.  Anyway,  I do like it.  First episode is by far my favorite though.