DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 9/3/2020 at 3:39 PM, Setsuna said:

I'm going to start Lovecraft Country tonight, but anyone else watching Ted Lasso? I'm enjoying that way more than I thought I would. Watched the first episode thinking I'd get something vapid in the style of Ballers, but I am totally hooked on pretty much everything going on in the show. Love the Sudeikis character and was going to start naming others until I realised I like every supporting character. It's the show I look forward to most for the past few weeks.

Its so fucking good.

I can't believe this is the show that makes me consistently cry the most

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 11:39 PM, Setsuna said:

I'm going to start Lovecraft Country tonight, but anyone else watching Ted Lasso? I'm enjoying that way more than I thought I would. Watched the first episode thinking I'd get something vapid in the style of Ballers, but I am totally hooked on pretty much everything going on in the show. Love the Sudeikis character and was going to start naming others until I realised I like every supporting character. It's the show I look forward to most for the past few weeks.

I'm through six episodes, and it's fucking great. I've never really given Jason Sudeikis much thought, but he's got charm and chops. And there are so many great plots and it's wonderful. This almost justifies Apple TV+ being a thing.

Everybody should watch Ted Lasso. It shouldn't exist and shouldn't work as well as it does, but here we are. It's fun and uplifting and then unexpectedly heavy and I really like it. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

One British comedian who went over to the Montreal Comedy Festival (which was on TV here as Just for Laughs/ Juste pour Rire) and said most of the American comedians he met there weren't actually comedians. They were actors trying to prove they could do comedy, in order to get acting jobs.

That’s very true with the LA comedy scene. I mean not everybody is going to get noticed waiting tables. But I think it’s much more of an 80’s thing than it is today. Since most stand-ups just transition into more comedy stuff, podcasts, hosting, and writing gigs. I don’t think a lot of Michael Richards types doing stand-up because he can’t do anything outside of Kramer are common anymore.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Being Batman pretty much killed his chances of ever going back to stand-up. Hell I’d argue it hurt his comedic film career, as people now associate him with more serious parts. Even though a majority of his film career was in comedies.

Michael Keaton also made a shitload of awful choices after Batman and Batman Returns BUT he also got to play Ray Nicolette twice. I always hoped Ray would have showed up in Justified, but it never happened.

• Like 2

Justified TV movies dammit! It’s still a possibility! I’d still argue a lot of the one offs are the best part of the show. Why they don’t do a few of them with a nice sized budget  is a mystery. 

Yes Keaton also picked bad projects post Batman that would have him play against type. I saw Pacific Heights the other day with him playing a bad guy. That movie was awful. I was expecting just a fun Hand That Rocks The Cradle, or Sleeping With The Enemy movie, and it was neither. A really unpleasant un-fun triller, even though it was clearly trying to be fun. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Justified TV movies dammit! It’s still a possibility! 

Justified is still the TV world I want to see revisited more than anything else. I talked to a friend about this and he agreed. As much as we loved Breaking Bad and the Shield and Deadwood and a whole bunch of other things, we want more with Raylan and Boyd than anything else and more "we dug coal together" moments.

...And Raylan is so easy to put into another adventure with his James Bond mystique. You can’t really do that with Vic, or Walter White because then you end up with a darker follow-up. 

You could probably do two sets of spin-off mini-movies with both Boyd, and Raylan thinking about it. Without either man appearing together.

Edit: Big suggestion... Three Justified TV movies. Each with three different villains. These three villains are villains from the series who didn’t die. Fletcher Nix, Dickie Bennett, and a now hook handed(also hiding a retractable shotgun under the hook) Robert Quarles.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

All I remember about Pacific Heights (SPOILER) is 

Spoiler

Keaton getting killed with a nail gun

which was pretty cool. 

They only showed him doing one joke, and it was metaphysical improv, which was just bizarre but really funny. 

Most of the first episode was laying out the importance of the Store and its beginnings, relation to Carson, etc. with a secondary tale being the life and death of Freddie Prinze. I get the feeling there are going to be a lot of these in the series... a lot. 

EDIT: Oh, and The Good Lord Bird started last night on Showtime too. Ethan Hawke is gonna win an Emmy, and a Golden Globe, and whatever else they got. Despite the content it is really funny too. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Justified, Banshee, that one kung fu show on A&E, Cobra Kai, etc. are pretty much what television should be in my view.  Genre shows that don't take themselves that seriously, but it's clear that they are made with great care. I love the prestige shows like The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, but sometimes I want seemingly brainless entertainment that is ultimately not brainless.

23 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

All I remember about Pacific Heights (SPOILER) is 

Nah it’s nowhere near as cool as that. I don’t even think it’s worth spoiler boxing, but I won’t reveal anything. Just if you go into it, just know you won’t get Keaton chewing the scenery, or get crazy creepy one liners like Rebecca De Mornay does in Hand That Rocks The Cradle. It’s super basic, and joyless in its lack of creativity. 

Wait really? 

Spoiler

Danforth is bailed out of prison by a wealthy widow, Florence Peters (Tippi Hedren), whom he was apparently vetting to be his next victim. Once out on bail, Danforth returns to San Francisco to seek revenge against Patty and Drake. Upstairs, he bludgeons Drake with a golf club, then attacks Patty in the downstairs apartment where she is busy making repairs. A struggle ensues, and a badly-wounded Drake makes his way into the crawl space between the basement and the first-floor apartment. He reaches through a hole in the floor and grabs Danforth by the ankle; Danforth loses his balance and is killed when he falls backward and is impaled by a water supply line.

That's lame. There's got to be a movie where what I posted happened, some other thriller of the type. I have no idea why I would have thought of that otherwise.

Oh wait do they use a nail gun in the fight?

Edited by Curt McGirt