DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

23 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Who was asking for this?

Fucking WHY. Worst final season ever. Worst series finale ever. Everything after season 4 was awful and it continued to get worse and worse.

Ray Donovan gets cancelled and doesn't even get to wrap up its story, but yeah, let's bring back Dexter for one final season. For fucks sake.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Last Man Standing has been cancelled by FOX

I assume Tim Allen will still blame the libs

EDIT - to clarify, it will end after its upcoming 9th season

Can I finally stop being told it's "a wotking class" sitcom despite Allen's character being a senior executive at a major corporation?

Such a fucking terrible show

• Like 1

Wife and I finally learned their was a Gilmore Girls reunion series on Netflix four years ago.  No idea how we missed that.  We are huge fans of the show and had Netflix in 2016.  Anyway, great stuff.  Probably the favorite show I've watched since the pandemic started.  Probably longer.  KInda missed the Palladino's ear for dialogue and the show was packed full of callbacks and easter eggs to the original series.  If anything, A Year in the Life was even more offbeat than the show.  So many ridiculous, self-indulgent gags.  I can't imagine Stars Hollow: The Musical getting nearly that much time on a network series.

Wasn't perfect.  The third ep (season was four 90 minute eps) seemed to be dragging things out more than it needed to be.  The Gimore's argument at the graveyard seemed forced.  Lorelai doing Wild was ridiculous and just seemed to be a way to ratchet up the tension between her and Luke - though they resolved the storyline pretty quickly and the payoff was funny.

Did hate the last line of the season.  Rory's storyline made me think that, for as much as the original show painted Lorelai as a rebellious teenage screw-up who disappointed her parents and was still paying for past mistakes, she had her shit together pretty well by her early 30's.  Rory is a much bigger mess in her early 30's.  Honestly, if she was my kid, i'd probably think she needed therapy.  Her behavior during the year of the show is kinda disturbing for a 32-year-old professional who got accepted to Harvard and seemed to have a bright future 15 years ago.  I feel like they glossed over that overmuch to keep the light, fluffy tone of the show going.

About the closing line.

Spoiler

Am I the only person who wondered if the Wookie is the father of Rory's baby?

Edited by Eoae
typos

Ok, so I finished Paradise PD yesterday and boy, did they go for the stupidest way to possible to (probably) finish the series, with extra cheese! It seems like the series jumped the shart right about after the point I commented on it here. Well, the entrance to the Pussy Land was classic, what can I say? *cough cough* "So dry!" *cough cough* It definitely had it's moments for sure, but at some point gross-out humor WILL lose its effect, and it sure did here.

On 10/14/2020 at 9:33 PM, Craig H said:

Fucking WHY. Worst final season ever. Worst series finale ever. Everything after season 4 was awful and it continued to get worse and worse.

Ray Donovan gets cancelled and doesn't even get to wrap up its story, but yeah, let's bring back Dexter for one final season. For fucks sake.

Dexter's comeback season, the story of how he got really buff from lumberjacking, got a few stupid tattoos, shaved his facial hair into a just having bushy moustache and moved to Orlando to become a Wrestler. And changed his last name to Lumis, so none of his old friends would realise he was still alive (nb: They aren't that smart. It would probably work). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Dexter's comeback season, the story of how he got really buff from lumberjacking, got a few stupid tattoos, shaved his facial hair into a just having bushy moustache and moved to Orlando to become a Wrestler. And changed his last name to Lumis, so none of his old friends would realise he was still alive (nb: They aren't that smart. It would probably work). 

There's no way whatever they actually come up with, will come close to this.

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just watch, they'll end up doing Dexter In The Era Of COVID just to blow any attempts at something dumber out of the water. 

Dexter hiding a trophy case full of nose swabs in his air conditioner.

Dexter using red string to reconstruct a super spreader event. 

Dexter going back to Miami to kill again, but all of his targets are already dead or hospitalized because Florida. 

• Haha 3

The showrunner already said that they aren't undoing any previous seasons. Shot down theories about everything being a dream, etc. And said that seven years have passed since the finale and the revival will reflect that passage of time.

Academy Award-winning filmmaker Barry Jenkins took to Twitter to reveal the first teaser for his upcoming historical fiction miniseries titled The Underground Railroad which will feature an alternate timeline of the real-life titular underground network of secret routes and safe houses that was created in the mid-19 century that was used by enslaved African-Americans to escape to free states. The long-in development project has no release date yet but it is expected to debut on Amazon Prime

Based on Colson Whitehead’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel of the same name, The Underground Railroad follows Cora, a slave on a cotton plantation in Georgia who is an outcast even amongst her fellow Africans and is struggling coming into womanhood when she meets Caesar, a recent arrival from Virginia who informs her of the Underground Railroad, inspiring them both to take the risk and escape to freedom.

The 11-episode limited series will chronicle Cora’s journey as she makes a desperate bid for freedom in the antebellum South. After escaping her Georgia plantation for the rumored Underground Railroad, Cora discovers no mere metaphor, but an actual railroad full of engineers and conductors, and a secret network of tracks and tunnels beneath the southern soil.

The series will star Thuso Mbedu, Chase W. Dillon, Aaron Pierre and Joel Edgerton. It will also feature Damon Herriman, William Jackson Harper, Amber Gray, Jim Klock, Lily Rabe, Fred Hechinger, and Owen Harn.

I forgot to mention the previous episode of The Comedy Store. They talked about Carrey and Thomerson and Pauly Shore but this was the one where they dealt with Sam Kinison too. One of his best friends who toured with him told the story of his death, of witnessing the car crash, Sam talking to God and literally dying in his arms. Then he reveals that he managed to forgive Sam, because Sam -- and this made my jaw drop -- fathered a child WITH THE GUY'S WIFE behind his back, and died never knowing the kid. Another thing that amazed me was they revealed that eventually when Mitzi got sick the Store was pretty much taken over by the comedians, and people like Eddie Griffin would show up, bump everybody else off the card and work for hours on end. Griffin would do five hours open to close. Amazing, and incredibly self indulgent; what an asshole.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 4:33 PM, Craig H said:

After viewer outcry, Showtime apparently committed to something that's going to wrap up Ray Donovan.  No word on what, yet (TV movie, short series, etc).  Who knows what the status of that is now, with Covid fucking up productions everywhere.

On 10/15/2020 at 3:38 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Can I finally stop being told it's "a wotking class" sitcom despite Allen's character being a senior executive at a major corporation?

HE'S A JOB CREATOR~! 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 1

I was just thinking of all the things Dexter just royally fucked up over the course of everything post season 3 and one thing among them is that he had a kid.  I fucking love it when a main character in a show has a kid and then the show just goes on like it's the same as always and they figure out workarounds for the kid to the point where you KNOW the writers seriously regret putting the kid in the show.  Every single episode featured Dexter calling his baby sitter.  That chick got rich.

On Ray Donovan, they seriously just low-key wrote his son out of the show.  "Cawnnah's joinin' the Marines!"

The best was Homeland, where the writers just gave up on the whole thing and had Carrie give her daughter away.  ?

"Hey, Donna? I know this is short notice but can you watch the baby tonight? I've got to stalk someone, kidnap them, Saran Wrap them to a table, plunge a knife into their chest then dismember them and drop them in a series of garbage bags to the bottom of Biscayne Bay. It's a school night so it'll be double? Sure, I got it. Thanks darling, you're a life-saver." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not only that, in the finale he faked his death and became a lumberjack in the Pacific North West (not sure how he sailed there from Florida, unless he went all the way around South America or through the arctic circle), and left his son to be raised by his girlfriend in Argentina (Miranda from Mass Effect/ Serena from The Handmaid's Tale), despite the fact that she had a history of killing her relatives once she got bored of them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Not only that, in the finale he faked his death and became a lumberjack in the Pacific North West (not sure how he sailed there from Florida, unless he went all the way around South America or through the arctic circle), and left his son to be raised by his girlfriend in Argentina (Miranda from Mass Effect/ Serena from The Handmaid's Tale), despite the fact that she had a history of killing her relatives once she got bored of them.

And ditched his step kids which he may or may not have adopted as his own kids.

And we've talked about Dexter plenty, but the best way to end the series would have been either with the Lithgow season or do one more season after that with Dexter getting revenge on Lithgow.

Instead, they dragged this fucker out as long as possible with it getting worse and worse with each season. Doakes had the weakest ending to his character. Deb sucked and when they added Deb's crying face that only made it worse. Her crying face is worse than Carrie's from Homeland. All the season villains sucked and got worse and worse. Somehow, someway, the final season villain was worse than Colin Hanks.

Re: ditching his kids, well he was a psychopath. Not exactly known for the best life choices or a sense of empathy, despite his veneer of respectability. 

What irritated me most about Deb was her saying 'fuck' constantly. I  say 'fuck' constantly (fuck, I even write like I speak) but that seemed egregious even to me. 

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Instead, they dragged this fucker out as long as possible with it getting worse and worse with each season.

I got the impression Showtime wanted it to keep going as long as they could, quality be damned.  Keeping Dexter alive at the end was a concession to the network, who wanted to reserve the right to bring Dexter back when they wanted to.

Homeland was the polar opposite of Dexter.  I really feel like that show got better after the early seasons.  I think the non-Brody seasons were much better and wouldn't have minded another season.  Also, as far as being the Anti-Dexter, Homeland ended perfectly.  As long as you forget about the kid Carrie gave away ?

• Like 1