DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Jeff Daniels was on Colbert tonight and said that The Comey Rule was supposed to air early this summer, but corporate decided to nix it until after the election. He wasn't told and when he found out he had to threaten them to force them to air it this weekend. I missed some of it but it sounded like he refused to let them air it at all somehow unless. 

*sigh*

EDIT: I watched it again. He told them basically that he wouldn't promote it and "you won't want me in front of a live microphone" unless they moved it up. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Thanks to the Great Content Drought brought on by Covid, I’ve been rewatching HANNIBAL and being blown away all over again.  Somehow, I think it gets even better when you know where it’s all going.  Every episode, even the standalone cases-of-the-week are telling you something about what’s going on and foreshadows where the main narrative is headed.  So many quick character reaction shots that didn’t seem like much at the time but, in retrospect, might as well have been flashing neon signs.  Just a brilliant show.  An all-timer.

Hopefully it’s done well enough on Netflix to maybe inspire them to pony up for a 4th season.  Listening to all the cast and crew talk about the show recently, it’s clear everyone involved felt the same way about their show as the DEADWOOD crew felt about making that show: they knew they were making something special and completely unlike any other show on TV, and they would all sign up to chase that feeling again.

Been watching Northern Exposure and fuck is it great. It was one of my family's favourite shows back during its original run, but I have not watched it since. I remember back when it aired that it kind of peters out and the quality drops during the last season or so. But a season and a half in and it might be one of the best shows I've ever watched.

I might have more thoughts later, especially about the weirdly timely episode Russian Flu, but for now I'm just enjoying the hell out of it. I remember it being quirky, but I forgot about how weird of a show it was. Definitely takes a lot of queues from Twin Peaks, whose first season ended a couple months before Northern Exposure premiered (episode 5 even has a direct Twin Peaks reference).

Edited by elizium

So I have no idea who owns what, but I’m starting to think Raised By Wolves is an intentional workaround continuation of the Prometheus mythology. 

Its weird as shit, but I enjoyed almost all of this program. It’s pure science fiction fantasy.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

16 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So I have no idea who owns what, but I’m starting to think Raised By Wolves is an intentional workaround continuation of the Prometheus mythology. 

Disney owns the Alien(s) and Prometheus IPs.

On 9/3/2020 at 3:39 PM, Setsuna said:

I'm going to start Lovecraft Country tonight, but anyone else watching Ted Lasso? I'm enjoying that way more than I thought I would. Watched the first episode thinking I'd get something vapid in the style of Ballers, but I am totally hooked on pretty much everything going on in the show. Love the Sudeikis character and was going to start naming others until I realised I like every supporting character. It's the show I look forward to most for the past few weeks.

Its so fucking good.

I can't believe this is the show that makes me consistently cry the most