DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Really, just the mando episodes of Clone Wars and Rebels, since that'll catch you up on just what the hell the Darksaber is and why it was significant/an amazing fucking coincidence that Gideon has it while facing off with Mando.

• Like 1

I watched the first episode of Upload which is not enough to judge the show

However - for some reason - I was really irritated by the gratuitous "nudity" or maybe the better way to say it was "we really want to have nudity but can't so we are going to keep covering up boobs with hair or awkward arm placements"

I mean it happens like 3 times in just the first episode.

Of course, I also get irritated at all the cable shows (especially HBO ones) that just have nudity now because they can

Basically I am old and cranky

Utopia

The Amazon Prime version of the Gillian Flynn British show

Utopia, based on the British series of the same name written by Dennis Kelly, focuses on a group of young adults who meet online and are mercilessly hunted by a shadowy deep state organization after they come into possession of a near-mythical cult underground graphic novel. They discover the conspiracy theories in the comic’s pages may actually be real and forced into the dangerous, unique, and ironic position of saving the world.

The cast for the series features an ensemble roster that includes John Cusack (1408), Jessica Rothe (Happy Death Day), Rainn Wilson (The Office), Dan Byrd (Cougar Town), Cory Michael Smith (Gotham) and Sasha Lane (Hellboy). For Cusack, Utopia will serve as his first starring gig in a TV series.

I think Superstore has had the best ComicCon panel so far.

Also, sign me the fuck up for the return of G4. Although I did think it was just a teaser for the Attack of the Show documentary by Chris Gore at first.

I mean, I guess, but I think Peacock is one of the only streaming services where the interface actually looks and operates better on a computer than a TV. That's how I use it, anyway.

On 7/24/2020 at 2:13 PM, RIPPA said:

Utopia

The Amazon Prime version of the Gillian Flynn British show

Kept waiting for, "where is Jessica Hyde?" or "hello matey". I love love loved Utopia on Channel 4, so much so that my cousin (who works for Channel 4) started blanking me at family events because I'd just keep asking, "when is season 3 coming?". I'm intrigued by this, mostly because of Gillian Flynn being on board so I'm hopeful that it keeps the spirit of the original while doing its own thing. And hopefully we get an actual conclusion this time. Also, the them tune for the original was an absolute bop! 

• Like 1

I've also heard good things about Utopia.  I keep hoping the Channel 4 original version will show up on Acorn, but no luck.  I guess I will be watching the AP version.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 7:00 PM, RIPPA said:

Based on social media - it seems like a lot of the old G4 folks will be involved again

If Adam Sessler is in for all new episodes of X-Play, then so am I.

If they bring Layla Kayleigh back as the anchor for The Feed on AOTS, I am doubly in.

I will pay them a million dollars if they have Alison Haislip read the Delta Gamma sorority e-mail. 

Edited by J.T.

30 minutes ago, J.T. said:

If Adam Sessler is in for all new episodes of X-Play, then so am I.

Sessler has left the biz and flat out said he would never return if X-Play was rebooted.

And since Morgan Webb actually works for a video game company now - I am 99% sure is out.

Most of the folks I saw seemed to be old AOTS folks (minus Olivia Munn naturally). Take that for what it is worth.

In the old thread @christopher.annino wrote about Upload

My main issue so far is how it can't decide whether it's over the top comedy or serious cyber espionage.

and I thought of this yesterday when I was watching the show. (I have 3 episodes to go)

It reminds me of Eureka. Where it is like entire show is lighthearted comedy until the final two minutes of each episode where all the nefarious shit happens.

My favorite casting of the show is William B. Davis as a Nise Koch Brother

• Like 2

I know I'm super behind on the party and not saying anything everyone doesn't know already - but binged through the first two seasons of Killing Eve this week and it's amazing.  

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In the old thread @christopher.annino wrote about Upload

and I thought of this yesterday when I was watching the show. (I have 3 episodes to go)

It reminds me of Eureka. Where it is like entire show is lighthearted comedy until the final two minutes of each episode where all the nefarious shit happens.

Are you talking about the SyfY series Eureka?

1 hour ago, CSC said:

I know I'm super behind on the party and not saying anything everyone doesn't know already - but binged through the first two seasons of Killing Eve this week and it's amazing.  

I think Killing Eve has been over-hyped for me. Its strange in that I like the show, but I've actually been on a slow crawl of the second season for around six months now. I just never feel the feed to really go all in and binge it. I even have season 3 on dvr ready for me.

I thought season 1 of Killing Eve was outstanding. It was so good. Season 2 wasn't as good, but it was better than a lot of stuff on TV. You could tell how much the quality from one season to the next dropped since Phoebe Waller Bridge didn't do anything with season 2. Season 3 was another dip in quality. It felt like they were spinning their wheels all season long. The 12 plot seems like something that they'll drag out as long as possible because they don't know how to resolve it. And that mostly took a backseat to the murder mystery surrounding season 1 and the resolution to that was fucking garbage. Literally zero reason no one involved couldn't have said anything a lot sooner.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Are you talking about the SyfY series Eureka?

Yup - the one Colin Ferguson in the lead

It might not be a direct apples to apples comparison because - while it has been a while since I watched the show - I know it wasn't AS bad as Upload seems to be in regards to the comedy/conspiracy ratio (and yes - conspiracy doesn't work for Eureka per se. Just the catch all for "we are having fun to oh 5 minutes to go.. uh WIPE EVERYONE'S MEMORIES AND MAKE RIPPA CRY!!!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yup - the one Colin Ferguson in the lead

It might not be a direct apples to apples comparison because - while it has been a while since I watched the show - I know it wasn't AS bad as Upload seems to be in regards to the comedy/conspiracy ratio (and yes - conspiracy doesn't work for Eureka per se. Just the catch all for "we are having fun to oh 5 minutes to go.. uh WIPE EVERYONE'S MEMORIES AND MAKE RIPPA CRY!!!)

Loved Eureka. While it was mostly a comedy, they were also pretty open as a secret government/scientific testing ground so there was kind of something semi-seriously happening often. They just had the occasional moments where they would hit hard like the memory wipe/time change you mentioned. Yeah, that one got to me as well.

• Like 1