DVDVR Message Board

MAR 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

35 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Just have Mania in international waters.

Go all in with the pirates theme.

The Did You Know segments about that are really going to hammer home that Vince totally invented Cruise Ship wrestling and absolutely nobody had even considered anything like that concept ever before.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Just have Mania in international waters.

Go all in with the pirates theme.

Funny enough, this was my Tweet last night:

Edited by Peck

I know the other indies won't coordinate but if Wrestlemania is postponed, the other indie shows should follow if they can.  let's say that the show is moved to July.   Nobody is going to Tampa for the Collective shows and then go back months later for WM.   Plus knowing indie promoters there will be another 100 shows added that weekend as well.

If is moved to another city or even country, I don't know what then.  

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Mindful meditation and good hygiene will go a long way right now. It is incredibly unlikely anybody you know dies even if they do contract it but yeah, it's a good thing your grandmother is not going out much and that you're picking stuff up for her. I refuse  to use the term "social distancing". 

I watched Contagion last night, and that term was definitely in the movie. 

In other news, I make poor choices. I'm thinking maybe Ocean's 11 tonight.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

It's be nice if the Media and Government didn't spend the last 12ish years or more shredding every last bit of their credibility and thrived on people being uninformed...

It's been much longer than 12 years.  I went to school for journalism and I swear every professor asked the class some version of, "what the fuck made you choose this?"  They made it pretty clear that the rules and principles we were learning were quickly going out the window.  I had this stupid idea that I was going to be the sports writer who didn't take bullshit, coach speak, answers and how I was going to hold people accountable, etc.  I asked my professor about it and he said, "If you think you can convince people to tell you the truth, you should be a cop, or a lawyer, or something like that.  If you want to be a journalist, being lied to is pretty much the entire job."  His advice was don't even expect the truth, because you'll never get it.  Here's the thing, he was right.  If you want to take quotes from people and report what they said, you can do that.  If you want to spend time researching, reporting from multiple sources, and getting to the bottom of something, there is essentially no one who has the budget for that.  The internet changed the news, because there is no reason to pay for something that is available for free.  No one pays for news, so no one pays for news gathering.  We've fucked ourselves.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

I'm wondering if I went back to London via bus whether they'd be a record of that available to US authorities if I was then to fly to the US. I'm not about to try, but from what I can gather probably not. A flight would be dicier I think. But as a Brit, yeah I might be able to pull that one off. Could Walter be like 'I've been in the UK for the last two weeks'....I don't think he'll be risking it.

(I could fly to Canada maybe lol)

Not if whoever oversees it checks the Internet for Walter Matches, he was at 16 Carat tournament in Germany last week. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Wasn't there a surge in paper subscriptions after the 2016 election? Obviously not anything like pre internet times but I thought I read something about that. 

There was, but all "news" turned into which flavor of outright hating the ideological opposite of you do you want.

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Wasn't there a surge in paper subscriptions after the 2016 election? Obviously not anything like pre internet times but I thought I read something about that. 

We went from a world where about 60 million people  paid for a daily newspaper subscription from the 1960s until 2000.  Now there is about 30 million...which is a whole lot, except the entire industry is built on having 100% more customers.  

Just now, Raziel said:

There was, but all "news" turned into which flavor of outright hating the ideological opposite of you do you want.

Turned into? My understanding is it's always been that way. You guys have had limp-dicked partisan mudslinging in the media down to a science since at least the time of John Adams. 

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Turned into? My understanding is it's always been that way. You guys have had limp-dicked partisan mudslinging in the media down to a science since at least the time of John Adams. 

There is not really a such thing as unbiased reporting, but what we have now is different.  Our news is now primarily reported by the propaganda arms of our most powerful political parties.  That's what is different.  Even if people had a bit of a slant, there was probably at least one person with the opposite slant in the same place.  Now, it's an echo chamber of the same slant.  People probably consume more news now, but are ultimately less informed.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I mean, the NYT has been criticized from both extremes and are generally pretty moderate. I don't know if I'm going to renew my subscription but that's less the quality of their news and more my not caring about US politics as much anymore and not having the time to read their small books of deep dives anymore. 

7 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I mean, the NYT has been criticized from both extremes and are generally pretty moderate. I don't know if I'm going to renew my subscription but that's less the quality of their news and more my not caring about US politics as much anymore and not having the time to read their small books of deep dives anymore. 

I find that the Washington Post winds up being the best, but I still kept my NYT subscription just for the food and recipes stuff because their recipes wind up being really solid.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, supremebve said:

It's been much longer than 12 years.  I went to school for journalism and I swear every professor asked the class some version of, "what the fuck made you choose this?"  They made it pretty clear that the rules and principles we were learning were quickly going out the window.  I had this stupid idea that I was going to be the sports writer who didn't take bullshit, coach speak, answers and how I was going to hold people accountable, etc.  I asked my professor about it and he said, "If you think you can convince people to tell you the truth, you should be a cop, or a lawyer, or something like that.  If you want to be a journalist, being lied to is pretty much the entire job."  His advice was don't even expect the truth, because you'll never get it.  Here's the thing, he was right.  If you want to take quotes from people and report what they said, you can do that.  If you want to spend time researching, reporting from multiple sources, and getting to the bottom of something, there is essentially no one who has the budget for that.  The internet changed the news, because there is no reason to pay for something that is available for free.  No one pays for news, so no one pays for news gathering.  We've fucked ourselves.  

I'm surprised your professors were so frank with you. Northwestern was a great place to study journalism, but they had a very idealistic, almost naive view of the profession, its importance and its nobility. I discovered the real world was a lot different.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Holy shit yes, so much this.  I took some journalism classes in college (mid 90s) and they never talked about real shit like asking softball questions/being easy on somebody to maintain access or "if it bleeds, it leads."  Were they just letting us keep our rose colored glasses on?  Of all the mass comm classes I took, only one professor was actually honest about a profession.  It was a screenwriting teacher who just said "look, if you want to do this shit for a living, move to LA.  Nothing is happening here.  You have to move."

The news just bugs the shit out of me.  I hate to say "fake news" because the stuff they report on IS real and did happen.  But they choose what to cover based on 1) how outlandish it is and 2) if they have footage of it.  I watch the DC news and you'd think the city is one step up from Mogadishu.  You literally need to stop yourself and say, "think about the thousands of parts of DC where nobody got shot yesterday.  They will never tell you about that."  It's so hard to watch this infotainment and stay sane.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That’s it for B&G...

Newark, New Jersey is different from New York City (or New York State for that matter)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Newark, New Jersey is different from New York City (or New York State for that matter)

FWIW As late as this morning, there were talks both Top Rank boxing shows at the Hulu Theater (one on Saturday and another on St. Patrick's Day headlined by super popular Irish fighter Mick Conlan) would be in front of crowds still despite earlier talks they wouldn't. Then, less than two hours later, that was no longer the case and both shows will be in front of no crowds. Shakur Stevenson, who is headlining the show on Saturday, is from Newark and fought at the Prudential Center before. I can't imagine that show going on with fans in attendance if it was at the Prudential Center instead of the Hulu Theater.

This has to be kick in the dick for Top Rank because they are running NYC with no crowd with two guys who could have sold a number of tickets. Conlan definitely would have sold Hulu Theater out since his past shows fights on St. Patrick's Day were at capacity.