DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sherri was the one you'd want to date and Eliz---Sherri was the one you'd want to marry.  

If you are the type of man who would date a woman like Sherri, there is nothing in this world a woman like Liz would be able to offer you.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I avoid the English commentary on NJPW world, but as much as I love the Japanese commentary I’m curious what is said about Yano’s infamous DVD?  Also, what is chanted during Yano’s multi double thumb RVD taunt?  

Yano really impressed me, like many of you, in the G1 (twenty nine!!!!) with his winning tactics.

14 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I saw the first Mortal Kombat movie in '95 in a theater in Dundalk, MD.  Motherfuckers cheered through the whole thing and popped like Hogan slammed Andre when Scorpion and Sub-Zero showed up.  It was a miserable experience.

To be fair if I saw that in a theater as a kid I would be going nuts too.  That movie was awesome.

And people react in movies all the time for superhero and Star Wars movies.  It's almost expected for opening weekend and especially opening night.  I've been to a good amount of them to see that firsthand and I always had a blast.

9 hours ago, Morganti said:

The only movie i can recall the audience Poppin like it's the roadies coming to squash some jobbers was the first transformers movie with "I am Optimus Prime" just because of the nostalgia.

I went and saw the real Transformers: The Movie in the theater last year for a one nighr only re-release...you better believe everyone popped for Optimus showing up as "The Touch" started up...

Of course I also saw it in the theater during the original run when I was 9 and we all probably popped then too...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I certainly pop the first time Godzilla appears on screen, and no not that bullshit 1998 zilla.

Shit, watching Shin Godzilla at 1pm on Sunday the whole theater lost it when he appeared.  Really cool seeing that though I still regret not seeing the new one in theaters.

Oh, right, wrestling.  Um, congrats to Becky and Seth?  Yeah, there we go.  Even though the chemistry was weird on TV they seem like really great people so happy for them.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I saw the first Mortal Kombat movie in '95 in a theater in Dundalk, MD.  Motherfuckers cheered through the whole thing and popped like Hogan slammed Andre when Scorpion and Sub-Zero showed up.  It was a miserable experience.

The pop Liu Kang got doing the bicycle kick in my theatre made Stone Cold showing up to hit The Rock with a chair and give Mankind the World title sound like it was in Corpus Christi.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Re: WWE stars not being recognized in the mainstream.

Isn't this mainly due to the fact that they purposefully wanted to make the brand bigger than the stars?

That's partially true, but also because wrestling has become more niche as entertainment options have grown and TV viewing habits have changed.

It's not a surprise the one full-time wrestler moving into the mainstream not only has the inspirational aspect of being a two-time cancer survivor, but also happens to be directly connected to the world's #1 movie star.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Isn't this mainly due to the fact that they purposefully wanted to make the brand bigger than the stars?

I don't know if I buy that because how popular is John Cena, the last guy they pushed to the moon, even now? 

20 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I don't know if I buy that because how popular is John Cena, the last guy they pushed to the moon, even now? 

Given how long Cena was the top guy and his natural charisma and talent, shouldn't he be a bigger mainstream star than he is now?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Given how long Cena was the top guy and his natural charisma and talent, shouldn't he be a bigger mainstream star than he is now?

He's pretty big with kids and teens. My stepkids and all of their friends know who he is and most of them aren't wrestling fans at all. He was on a bunch of those Nickolodean and Kids Choice Awards shows when my stepkids were a few years younger (they're both about 16 now) so I think he gets a lot of recognition from that set now. 

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

Or that's just a WWE excuse as to why their guys aren't as popular as they once were. I'm not even sure how they could put that idea into practice and it seems like it would take more work to accomplish it instead of just pushing their wrestlers. 

I think it is more to do with them getting away from being actual pro wrestling. If they just treated it as such and accepted it as such, they would be popular for that. Pro wrestling doesn't really work as well when it's some other sort of meta presentation. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Morganti said:

The only movie i can recall the audience Poppin like it's the roadies coming to squash some jobbers was the first transformers movie with "I am Optimus Prime" just because of the nostalgia.

Endgame had a couple Hegstrandian pops. Particularly Steve with the hammer.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

He will only get bigger now that he’s part of the Fast and Furious franchise.

I dunno. I don't see the demand for more roles for Tyrese Gibson and Chris Bridges and Charlize Theron can't draw a fly to shit right now as far as box office goes. I think Cena's popularity is going to be with lapsed fans who dropped off when he was on top and a bunch of anecdotal evidence (much like people are complaining about with Meltzer).

I think there is a clear ceiling with Cena and probably right around where Bautista is now which isn't bad at all. Rock got into movies at age 29/30. Cena is on the wrong side of 40 already.

Eventually you have to reap what you sow. The Reigns/Rollins/Brock era came about at a time where WWE started making more money than ever before even though classic indicators for success (ppv revenue, house show attendance, ratings) were going down. Fans did everything in their power to voice that the crop of stars WWE stubbornly kept on trying to market were not clicking.  They basically stopped showing up outside of the major shows. 

So now you have a generation of top guys  who nobody wants to pay to see and have limited mainstream appeal. 

Edited by JohnnyJ
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Eventually you have to reap what you sow. The Reigns/Rollins/Brock era came about at a time where WWE started making more money than ever before even though classic indicators for success (ppv revenue, house show attendance, ratings) were going down. Fans did everything in their power to voice that the crop of stars WWE stubbornly kept on trying to market were not clicking.  They basically stopped showing up outside of the major shows. 

So now you have a generation of top guys  who nobody wants to pay to see and have limited mainstream appeal. 

I agree with this but I will put it more on the company than any performer. 

• Like 1

PPV buys were done once the Network came about, so no one is to blame for that. TV is a mixed bag. WWE's resistance to freshening up their shows didn't help, but TV as most of us grew up with is gone. It feels like a combination of things. Show attendance is the one indicator that can be partially put on wrestlers' shoulders. But even then, if we're in the Brand Era, WWE has to accept fault, too.

Even if one doesn't like any of the bigger stars, they all bring enough to the table to enjoy some mainstream success. Wasn't there a rumor about WWE setting high appearance fees for their stars that many couldn't or wouldn't pay? Not to mention the constant road schedule keeping wrestlers from having time to pursue at least some other options.

2 hours ago, Ace said:

Endgame had a couple Hegstrandian pops. Particularly Steve with the hammer.

The reactions to the portals scene was super interesting as a barometer for how much people care about these characters. Black Panther? Over. Spider-Man?  Over like Steve Austin in '98. Doctor Strange? Over like Steve Austin as the Ringmaster. 

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That F&F isn’t a guaranteed success after Hobbs & Shaw underperformed. 

I think the Fast franchise is gonna need another Tokyo Drift soft reboot. The movies have escalated the scenarios to outrageous levels. 

Fuck that. Send Vin Diesel and Tyrese into space. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy