DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Shinya Hashimoto vs Jumbo Tsuruta

It really is a shame we never got this. Jumbo was out of the sport right before Hash split off. If Hash had left earlier we wouldn't have gotten him vs. Tenryu and if Jumbo had stuck around through the NOAH split he would have possibly been way too old for the match to be any good. But if they had hooked up in the '80s, like if young Hash had jumped with the Choshu group to All Japan? Whoa.

Religious Sting vs. Religious Michaels

Hulk Hogan vs. New Day

Andre vs Big Show

Brock vs. Yano

Pentagon Jr. vs. Great Sasuke

Dolph vs. Road Warriors with Paul Ellering

Paul Heyman vs. Irwin R. Scheister

Kevin Nash vs. Orange Cassidy

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Zartan said:

Kevin Nash vs. Orange Cassidy

It would be a horrible gag, but them doing a big production, with match graphic, and pre-match video only for the ring announcer to inform the crowd neither man will be performing tonight would be the the greatest rib ever pulled.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

When was the last time a big match did the 3 guest judges spot? I remember TNA doing it a lot early on in the Fox Sports Impacts.

That'd be a great way to redebut someone, in either the Dory Funk angle of one guy changing their vote for the challenger to the defending heel champion at the last minute, or the Terry Funk version of requesting a title shot from the winner afterwards and laying a beatdown on him afterwards instead.

3 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Bret would never take those chops. He hated taking Flair's chops. Though building a whole match around can Walter chop him once would be amazing.

That'd work. I literally just saw a 10-12 minute match with Ryosuke Taguchi finally building to hitting a butt bump.

1994 Dustin Rhodes vs Modern Dustin Rhodes

Tables match: 1987 Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart vs 2000 The Dudley Boyz 

2006 Bryan Danielson vs Hall of Pain Mark Henry

Shoot: Angriest Harley Race vs Angriest Haku

1996 Stone Cold Steve Austin vs 1989 Terry Funk

Prime Gorgeous George vs 1981 Jerry Lawler

2005 The Undertaker vs 1989 Ric Flair

1984 Hulk Hogan, Rikidozan, and El Santo vs 1981 Andre the Giant, 1985 Rowdy Roddy Piper, and 2002 The Rock (team managed by three different time period Bobby Heenans).

Edited by OctopusCinema

1994 Steve Williams vs. 2004 Samoa Joe

Furnas/Kroffat vs. The Revival

Fit Finlay vs. Drew Gulak

1993 Vader vs 2005 Daniel Bryan

Bret Hart vs Chis Hero

Curt Hennig vs. AJ Styles

Kaientai vs. The Elite (maybe add Teoh and Devitt to make it 4 on 4)

1996 Raven vs 2015 Bray Wyatt (I don't even give a fuck about the match, just the crazy buildup)

I thought about this match then wondered if it ever happened - did Curt Hennig and Chris Jericho ever wrestle in WCW?

• Thanks 1

Rick Martel and Ricky Steamboat vs. Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard

Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, And Jack Evans vs. The Shield

The Fantastics vs. The Revival.

William Regal vs. Nick Bockwinkel

Sasha Banks vs. Akira Hokuto 

Cage Match: Jerry Blackwell vs. Mark Henry

Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Guerrero 

War Games: Samoa Joe, Necro Butcher, Eddie Kingston, Chris Hero, And Homicide vs. Terry Funk, Barry Windham, Dustin Rhodes, Jerry Lawler, And Brian Pillman

My card is weird but awesome.

Edited by The Man Known as Dan
  • Thanks 1

The world was a different place in 2000.  Plus WCW hadn't spent the last 20 years running one 'Evil Authority Figure' angle after another.

1 hour ago, Brandon-E said:

How was Jeff Jarrett's push in 2000 WCW able to avoid the backlash that the Roman Reigns push has gotten other than the fact that Jarrett was a heel at the time?

It was the fans fault. Same when they wanted Jarrett to drop the belt in TNA. It’s the goddamn fans fault.

55 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Viewership is down, and attendance is down. You’ve even admitted to this, and you’ve brought up the Saudi’s, and Fox for keeping things stable.

Is this the CFL, or the NFL? Keep the goal posts where they need to be.

Go ahead and compare WWE's falling numbers directly to WCW's falling numbers in 2000. The dropoff is nowhere close. Nobody turned on Jarrett because nobody gave a fuck.

If you want to define what you think the "goalposts" of this conversation are, I'll address those too, but it sounds like you just want to bitch about modern WWE some more when the conversation we're having is about Jeff Jarrett.

The dynamic between Reigns and the office never made any sense. You have to examine the essence of why the authority figure is evil. They are evil because they  have an objective which differs from the fans. Traditionally, they are profit motivated and will rail against someone unconventional who is risky on the top of the card. 

Reigns was an entirely conventional choice and it was common knowledge that WWE wanted Roman as the face of the company. If that is the case, why are they  against him succeeding? Don't they want him to get over and headline all of their shows? 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

In conclusion, the company should get rid of MitB. It's been used to good effect like three times that I can think of (Edge cash-in on Cena, RVD cash-in on Cena well in advance, Ziggler cash-in on ADR). 

All the other times, it ends up being a) a shocking swerve tool that creates more problems than it solves for the payoff of an immediate pop or b) a crutch that creative uses to get itself out of bad booking decisions that works in the very short term, but that fucks up their long-term plans entirely. 

If I'm missing a good example of a cash in that's happened since the end of 2016, please enlighten me. 

I'd add Edge to The Undertaker as the Undertaker couldn't sit up with what happened to him, made for a good visual that and Seth Rollins on Brock Lesnar but that's a divisive one.

Edited by The Natural

Jeff Jarrett was closer to WCW’s Matt Taven than WCW’s Roman Reigns. Total midcarder in the right place at the right time to become the top guy. And as others have said, people weren’t as mad because by 2000 you had to keep your expectations of WCW pretty low already so nobody really cared.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Brandon-E said:

How was Jeff Jarrett's push in 2000 WCW able to avoid the backlash that the Roman Reigns push has gotten other than the fact that Jarrett was a heel at the time?

4 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I remember a ton of blowback about Jarrett at the time. Putting someone like him that people didn't care about on top was yet another sign of WCW going down the tubes.

I think being a heel had a lot to do with it, as no one was being asked to buy him as a heroic face. A few years prior, Jarrett got booed as a Horseman... in Charlotte... when they were faces... so had they tried to push “The Chosen One” as a face, it’s highly possible the reaction would have been similar to Reigns.