DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

9 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I am surprised that they ran with the Eugene & Festus gimmicks so late in the game.

I was surprised as it was happening with Eugene.  This may be the answer.  There is no reason whatsoever to make a wrestling character making fun of a handicapped person.  

• Like 1

Its oddly the former since the idea was that both were wrestling savants. WWE just sucks at doing those types of things and they aren't the best of ideas to do in general.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tromatagon said:

They actually thought they were empowering.

Or they spun it to make look like they thought they were empowering

We all saw One Night Stand 2 and know what was really up

The reason I don't think it could happen again is that no one bought that.  There are enough people who will deny any amount of racism, that there is a chance we get another racist caricature, but pretty much everyone looked at Eugene and thought they stepped across a line.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The reason I don't think it could happen again is that no one bought that.  There are enough people who will deny any amount of racism, that there is a chance we get another racist caricature, but pretty much everyone looked at Eugene and thought they stepped across a line.

If we look at it from a saddling a talented worker with a shitty gimmick perspective, that was one of those "yeah, they're officially running out of ideas" signs reminiscent of something you would see in the early RAW days. You could literally pick some generic gimmick from Extreme Warfare Revenge, give it to Nick Dinsmore, and it would be less WTF.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

17 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If we look at it from a saddling a talented worker with a shitty gimmick perspective, that was one of those "yeah, they're officially running out of ideas" signs reminiscent of something you would see in the early RAW days. You could literally pick some generic gimmick from Extreme Warfare Revenge, give to Nick Dinsmore, and it would be less WTF.

I really wish I was a fly on the wall when Vince told Dinsmore about that gimmick.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Seriously, we have been fighting a war for almost 20 years against a group of somewhere between 2,000-5,000(at the start of the war) people.  At this point, I don't think you could get any real heat based on these wars.  The average person couldn't care less about these two wars.  Also there is no way to create a evil version of this current enemy without being overwhelmingly, undeniably racist.  

Tito Ortiz managed to get booed for dedicating a fight to the troops who put their lives on the line to defend American freedom. Well, he was getting booed anyway, he lost and he was making excuses about how he was injured in training (like he always did when he lost), so he started talking about the troops to try and turn it around. And they booed harder because of the shamelessness of it all.

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

Tito Ortiz managed to get booed for dedicating a fight to the troops who put their lives on the line to defend American freedom. Well, he was getting booed anyway, he lost and he was making excuses about how he was injured in training (like he always did when he lost), so he started talking about the troops to try and turn it around. And they booed harder because of the shamelessness of it all.

Was that the time when he claimed to have come into the fight with a broken skull?  

10 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I really wish I was a fly on the wall when Vince told Dinsmore about that gimmick.  

Honestly, Vince probably sold him on the gimmick by telling him how much merch he could potentially sell if he just committed to it.

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

Tangentially related and I've said this before, but ...

Sasha

as

AOC.

Heel in half the country. Face in the other half.

$$$$

It's not rocket science.

I think Salina de la Renta would nail it.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think Salina de la Renta would nail it.

I'm not sure about an AOC type character but going off promo skills alone I'd definitely go with Salina for the role (Sasha's good, just prefer Salina for this)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm not sure about an AOC type character but going off promo skills alone I'd definitely go with Salina for the role (Sasha's good, just prefer Salina for this)

Why give someone that gimmick that's already been on TV for years now when you can give it to someone (fwiw who is probably going to be with a major promotion pretty soon) who people are just seeing for the first time? Plus, she's actually Puerto Rican.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Dammit, you guys made me do it...FANTASY BOOKING TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, The Street Profits have a good long run, becoming multiple time tag team champs and are legitimately beloved as a babyface tag team.  Throughout there run Bianca Belair is acknowledged as Montez Ford's wife and she's in all their vignettes and backstage segments.  Belair is on an almost unheard of winning streak on the main roster, where she's just running through the women's division.  The Street Profits are having their biggest success yet, until one day, Angelo Dawkins accidentally spears Montez Ford causing them to lose the titles and breaking 3 ribs at the same damn time.  Dawkins gets a bit of a singles run and is actually starting to gain some momentum while Ford is out injured.  Once Ford is back, Dawkins tells him, Street Profits are forever, but it's time for him to get some shine and hopes Ford understands.  Ford agrees and tries to go on his own singles run, but can't seem to get on track.  All while this is going on, they're still doing backstage segments together but there is a hint of jealousy about Dawkins' success.  Ford asks Dawkins one more time for a final run as a team, and Dawkins, who is now Intercontinental Champion tells him, "I have something going, I thought you would be happy for me."  Then Ford attacks Dawkins, beating him down, and Bianca Belair runs out to stop him.  Ford looks her dead in the face and says, "Bianca, it's over," and storms off.  The next week, Ford introduces us to his new girlfriend, and it will be Charlotte Flair, Bianca's biggest rival and the bleach, blondest white woman possible.  Ford then goes on a huge winning streak, the whole time being an over the top ass, and displaying the most uncomfortable PDA possible with Charlotte.  You'd have to pick the right arenas to really pull this off(the break up would have to be in Atlanta), but if done right, there would be massive heat.

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Dammit, you guys made me do it...FANTASY BOOKING TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, The Street Profits have a good long run, becoming multiple time tag team champs and are legitimately beloved as a babyface tag team.  Throughout there run Bianca Belair is acknowledged as Montez Ford's wife and she's in all their vignettes and backstage segments.  Belair is on an almost unheard of winning streak on the main roster, where she's just running through the women's division.  The Street Profits are having their biggest success yet, until one day, Angelo Dawkins accidentally spears Montez Ford causing them to lose the titles and breaking 3 ribs at the same damn time.  Dawkins gets a bit of a singles run and is actually starting to gain some momentum while Ford is out injured.  Once Ford is back, Dawkins tells him, Street Profits are forever, but it's time for him to get some shine and hopes Ford understands.  Ford agrees and tries to go on his own singles run, but can't seem to get on track.  All while this is going on, they're still doing backstage segments together but there is a hint of jealousy about Dawkins' success.  Ford asks Dawkins one more time for a final run as a team, and Dawkins, who is now Intercontinental Champion tells him, "I have something going, I thought you would be happy for me."  Then Ford attacks Dawkins, beating him down, and Bianca Belair runs out to stop him.  Ford looks her dead in the face and says, "Bianca, it's over," and storms off.  The next week, Ford introduces us to his new girlfriend, and it will be Charlotte Flair, Bianca's biggest rival and the bleach, blondest white woman possible.  Ford then goes on a huge winning streak, the whole time being an over the top ass, and displaying the most uncomfortable PDA possible with Charlotte.  You'd have to pick the right arenas to really pull this off(the break up would have to be in Atlanta), but if done right, there would be massive heat.

Speaking of 1991, as soon as Vince gets hip to the film Jungle Fever, he'll be all over this.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Speaking of 1991, as soon as Vince gets hip to the film Jungle Fever, he'll be all over this.

That's only part of it.  It's Macho Man leaving Miss. Elizabeth and showing up with Sherri with the added racial element.  

Speaking of...are we ready to admit that Sherri was a better girlfriend than Miss Elizabeth?  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, supremebve said:

That's only part of it.  It's Macho Man leaving Miss. Elizabeth and showing up with Sherri with the added racial element.  

Granted I have only seen bits and pieces of New Day and I have a low tolerance of black people eye bucking as is, I don't trust WWE to get the racial element right. It barely worked for Doom and Harlem Heat. Plus, to get it to that level, you would need what...two years minimum? That's way too long for WWE to get divested in it and just move on to something else.

8 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Speaking of...are we ready to admit that Sherri was a better girlfriend than Miss Elizabeth?  

I would be on the ground fucking coughing blood if I was there when they were cutting those Macho King and Sensational Queen Sherri promos in the studio in Connecticut. As performers, they were WAY too into that.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Granted I have only seen bits and pieces of New Day and I have a low tolerance of black people eye bucking as is, I don't trust WWE to get the racial element right. It barely worked for Doom and Harlem Heat. Plus, to get it to that level, you would need what...two years minimum? That's way too long for WWE to get divested in it and just move on to something else.

I would be on the ground fucking coughing blood if I was there when they were cutting those Macho King and Sensational Queen Sherri promos in the studio in Connecticut. As performers, they were WAY too into that.

I think Sherri is the most underrated performer in wrestling history.  She was not afraid to make the entire audience uncomfortable by going way too far with the sexuality.  Remember when she basically offered to blow the Ultimate Warrior to save the Macho Man's title?  Miss Elizabeth would have just let Macho go out there and catch an ass whooping.  Sherri was willing to do whatever it took to ensure her man's success.  Miss Elizabeth was just standing there looking worried all the time.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

I think Sherri is the most underrated performer in wrestling history.  She was not afraid to make the entire audience uncomfortable by going way too far with the sexuality.  Remember when she basically offered to blow the Ultimate Warrior to save the Macho Man's title?  Miss Elizabeth would have just let Macho go out there and catch an ass whooping.  Sherri was willing to do whatever it took to ensure her man's success.  Miss Elizabeth was just standing there looking worried all the time.

The woman was in Wembley Stadium with her whole entire ass out before it was fashionable for women in WWF/WWE or anywhere else for that matter to do that. Not afraid is an understatement if there ever was one.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The woman was in Wembley Stadium with her whole entire ass out before it was fashionable for women in WWF/WWE or anywhere else for that matter to do that. Not afraid is an understatement if there ever was one.

She was about 25 years too early, if she was around when women taken more seriously she'd be a huge star.  Dude, not only was it not fashionable in WWF/WWE, there weren't women anywhere on television with their ass out.  The Thong Song came out in like 1999 and the video showed more of Sisqo doing cartwheels at the beach than it did thongs.  She had the ring ropes between her ass cheeks in 1991 at Wrestlemania VII, I can't think of a time or place where you would have seen a thong on television before that.   

• Like 1