DVDVR Message Board

Raw - 10/22/2018

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, piranesi said:

When Rollins mentioned "Ambrose Time" Dean yelled at him something like "What because I'm a LUNATIC????"

So it's that thing of a crazy guy who has been labelled as the "crazy guy" who (because he is genuinely crazy) suddenly decides that all these years everyone has been ridiculing him and is out to get him and the slightest thing will set him off (like "Ambrose time") because he's already made up his addled mind that he's going to go feral on someone, or worse, he's genuinely gone into a kind of boiling rage state and no matter what you say he is going to hear "Hey, it's the LOOOONATIC HAHAHAHA!!!" and lose his shit.

Once that switch was thrown a few weeks ago, it was inevitable. There is literally nothing Rollins could have said or done that would not have been translated in Dean's fucked up brain as "We've all been secretly making fun of you for years, freak."

He’s basically course correcting. He veered from dangerous lunatic to zany ha ha lunatic, and now that he realizes even his brothers think of him that way, he snapped.

I liked that Seth was so confused by the turn he wasn't even trying to fight back.  It looked like he was trying to reason with him. 

Listen and understand.  Dean Ambrose is out there.  He can't be bargained with.  He can't be reasoned with.  He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear.  And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am guessing they will do something like Corbin forcing Seth to defend by himself instead of holding up a 2nd title.

It is bad enough that the IC title is basically in limbo now as Rollins deals with the tag titles

Last night while we were gaming, Rippa made an unintentionally hilarious comment about how this being the first genuine face pop that Roman has ever received and he had to announce that he had cancer in order to get it.

I am an awful human being, so I laughed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

All heels are justified in their mind.

This. I don't think there's ever been a case of an unwilling heel.  The closest I could think of was Waylon Mercy, but that's not quite the same thing.

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

Someone on twitter said that Rollins was saying "It's okay it's okay" to Dean before the beat down as if Rollins understands why this is happening.  I didn't see that

I did, and thought that was pretty strange. Some of it looked like Seth either knew it was coming and/or was okay with it.

Either way, that segment was done very well. I knew they were lingering on the celebration juuuuuust a bit too much for something not to happen.

I'm also kinda bummed we never went to the back to see what was going on with Braun/Drew.

10 hours ago, piranesi said:

When Rollins mentioned "Ambrose Time" Dean yelled at him something like "What because I'm a LUNATIC????"

So it's that thing of a crazy guy who has been labelled as the "crazy guy" who (because he is genuinely crazy) suddenly decides that all these years everyone has been ridiculing him and is out to get him and the slightest thing will set him off (like "Ambrose time") because he's already made up his addled mind that he's going to go feral on someone, or worse, he's genuinely gone into a kind of boiling rage state and no matter what you say he is going to hear "Hey, it's the LOOOONATIC HAHAHAHA!!!" and lose his shit.

Once that switch was thrown a few weeks ago, it was inevitable. There is literally nothing Rollins could have said or done that would not have been translated in Dean's fucked up brain as "We've all been secretly making fun of you for years, freak."

Mental health care worker here.  And I've been in some tough places 

This is a absolutely a VERY real thing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I doubt they do it, but it would be interesting, to me at least, if Dean shows up next week and runs into Seth and acts like nothing happened. They're still tag team champs, but Dean is always just going to randomly snap on Seth.

Either that or they do an angle where Seth is "ok" with being attacked because of what he did to Dean years ago and he hopes they're even now. That would at least give Dean a chance to explain his position.

Either way, I don't think they just outright drop the titles or go with Seth defending them alone. The new trend with partners or friends in WWE is to drag out these things as long as possible even after it looks like one partner turns on the other. 

• Like 4

I heard the "It's ok. It's ok." as Seth trying to calm him down so he wouldn't do anything else. Like "Okay, you just did that, but we can still figure this out." Again it's very dark because I can totally imagine someone saying that to an unstable person who has attacked them if they think they can stop the attack that way. If you follow the logic of the shield characters he's probably been in a lot of situations where he's had to deflect Dean from a meltdown by telling him whatever he just did is ok, just don't do anything else.

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I doubt they do it, but it would be interesting, to me at least, if Dean shows up next week and runs into Seth and acts like nothing happened. They're still tag team champs, but Dean is always just going to randomly snap on Seth.

Either that or they do an angle where Seth is "ok" with being attacked because of what he did to Dean years ago and he hopes they're even now. That would at least give Dean a chance to explain his position.

Either way, I don't think they just outright drop the titles or go with Seth defending them alone. The new trend with partners or friends in WWE is to drag out these things as long as possible even after it looks like one partner turns on the other. 

After watching it I thought that could happen too, at times it looked like Dean was talking to someone else that wasn’t Seth. 

Just now, peterien said:

After watching it I thought that could happen too, at times it looked like Dean was talking to someone else that wasn’t Seth. 

Yes! It was very Mick Foley/Mankind-esque. I think it was when he went over to the ropes that he was seemingly talking to someone who wasn't there or that he was talking to himself.

• Like 1

Im only a part time fan these days so I only read results  and will watch parts of what sounds good on YouTube but clicking on wwe.com last night and seeing DX on the front page as the main preview point for RAW makes me want to give up altogether. 

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I would prefer this is the direction they go.

12 hours ago, Josh Mann said:

Ah, but you're looking for logic in a mind (character wise) where it doesn't exist. That's the point.  Even if Ambrose turning on Rollins isn't justified, in his mind it is. 

No I agree, you can follow Dean's broken logic. I was speaking as a third party watching. 

Another thing is he has been hurt and alone (mostly) with time to think. Which I can assure you is not a good thing. He was already on the fence about Seth and he thought about what a prick Seth was to him. 

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I guess I couldnt have picked a more newsworthy show to attend but I wish it was all in-ring related.. feel so bad for Roman my comments are in the other thread.

The rest of the show.. man it feels like a reset in a lot of ways. Guys like Braun and Elias should do very well as babyfaces.

I think Owens will do well when he returns.

Dean will be a good heel. Lashley is still getting mild reactions despite Lio Rush.

So I guess its Seth, Braun, Elias, Balor and Owens on the face side.

Heels are McIntyre, Ambrose, Lashley and? 

I must be forgetting people.

Yeah. One thing I always noticed for the last few years was "if Raw ends up in Providence, it's probably going to be a big episode" (the women's Rumble, Corbin cashing in, etc.) 

God, I wish this was not a big episode. 

The reset feel was pretty common on it. Strowman felt like the biggest reset on the show, and that was basically a "yeah, you know as well as we do why we're asking for a mulligan for the last two months here, so assume the Dogs of War just...never happened."

Even with the Ambrose turn's timing- I was more shocked by Elias's turn than anything. I mean, everyone kind of knew for two years Ambrose was GOING to turn. It was planned for Mania last year, it was rumored for weeks this year, literally everyone knew Ambrose was about to turn on Rollins...but THIS- this was the one night that WWE could truly blindside people with it. They knew Ambrose would turn, but never THIS SHOW in particular.  It was the one show you could not do this turn on...and paradoxically, it meant it was the one show you HAD to make the turn on. 

Elias on the other hand? Yeah, he was cheered by fans and popular, but this is a cheap heat magnet. This is Honky Tonk Man 2k18. It just seems unfathomable that Elias can be a good babyface.

• Like 1

That Ambrose turn really shocked me. Did not see it coming at all, especially after the Roman opening. When they were in the ring celebrating after winning the titles, I was thinking, that's probably the WrestleMania main event. They'll hold the titles for awhile, and THEN Dean will turn, costing them the titles and splitting the team in the road to Mania. But then BAM! Interested to see where it goes. I said a couple weeks ago that I did like the storytelling they were doing with the Dean thing, I just thought it would go a bit longer before the actual turn.

He's had that Rikishi face heat for so long and he's been talented enough to still get towns to boo him. By "Rikishi face heat" I mean that Rikishi was so freaking over as a babyface that it was unbelievable. People didn't get tired of him and he didn't get derailed until the storyline with Austin and the Rock.

I will say this, I've been 100% wrong about Elias. I thought when he got brought up he would be nothing more than a jobber and wasted space, but he's been so damn good.

Now the real fun begins where he no longer has to turn the crowd against him, but I also wonder if they'll run into a problem like where the Rock had where he's so good and talented at talking shit that he winds up burying whatever opponent he has.

And to add to this confession, I've always loved that Elias looks like Hoss Randy Savage. 

• Like 2

Well, yeah. I don't think anyone is going to argue against that. I just don't know how high his ceiling is. They programmed him against Finn Balor for awhile and that didn't seem to help. I suppose it's possible he's been at this for so long now that he's really set in his ways.

I think at some point he'll have a pretty good run in him, but I hope it isn't something like with Mark Henry where he didn't have that baller ass run until late in his career.