DVDVR Message Board

Raw - 10/22/2018

Dolfan in NYC

No funny title this week. (or any week Dolfan)  Roman Reigns is going into the battle of his life (thread here), the rest of this seems very trivial, but hey, the show must go on. 

Quite a bit of storytelling going on though.  Looks like Braun turned face. Apollo Crews got his papers back to Dragon's Gate. Holy shit ELIAS~ turned!!!

And Dean has finally had enough of Seth's bullshit. Thank god. 

I was hoping the Ambrose turn would get scrapped because of Roman's situation. I agree with the fan you could hear saying, "Not tonight, Dean." I guess the Authors of Pain are getting the titles of a dead division soon.

Speaking of not tonight, that DX promo and especially the Undertaker/Kane part should have been scrapped. No, I don't want to watch a fake undertaker in a fake cemetery with two fake headstones when another wrestler announces he has leukemia. 

Constantly bringing up Roman's leukemia was really poor taste. I commend Paul E. for being able to go out there. You can tell he was bawling his eyes out. They were red as hell.

• Like 3

I know everybody is loving that turn but in the hypothetical scenario, god forbid that Roman doesn’t pull through or at least never wrestles again, that segment will look REALLY BAD. It’s one thing if Roman got an injury where he’d be out for a while and I’d be fine with it. But cancer is a whole different animal. When a man’s life is legitimately on the line, I’m not okay with using that for heat.

• Like 4

Really weird show. I personally didn't think it was the right night for the Ambrose turn, but it's wrestling and there's always been an element of exploitation there. The crowd reaction to it was stunning and probably justified them doing it now to be honest. They likely wouldn't have got a better reaction at any other point down the line.

8 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Does this need to happen every time somebody turns heel? 

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Apparently, it does.

I think part of the issue is that these days heel/face turns aren't as well defined as they used to be. I blame the introduction of tweeners.

The only thing that bugged me about the WWE using roman's promo over and over was that segment where they were bragging about all the "twitter buzz." Maybe they were trying to say a lot of people care about Roman, but it came off like clueless promotion of the brand like this guy's health struggles are a viral sensation for the brand!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I think what deserves as much or more credit than how the turn was set up is how good Dean is at playing the emotions of someone who is turning because he is genuinely a dangerously unstable person and because of that it's believable and even a little frightening in a real-world way if you've ever been friends with someone like that.

It also goes to credit how much genuine emotion they managed to build into the shield over the years. But so much of that also goes to Dean for playing up this crazed amount of deluded loyalty he has that is at once childish and a little scary.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1