DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

3 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Vicious and Delicous.

Buff Bagwell in an interview a couple years ago spoke on that TNA Angle where Sting brought him out as a potential tag partner before choosing Samoa Joe. And Buff went on a tirade about how much better shape he was than Joe and how he should have been in the PPV main event not Joe in 2006 mind you. I got a chuckle over how delusional he sounded. 

But my favorite Buff Bagwell moment doesn't even directly involve him, I saw a shoot interview clip on YouTube years back of Ricky Morton just spinning into an absolute rage over how much money Buff made in the business and how much better Ricky was in ring than Buff and how his biggest year was only 100k.

Everything you need to know about Buff Bagwell you can learn in two interviews:

1) The infamous Bryan Alvarez interview on WO where Buff was clearly in no shape to talk and bragged about his TNA tag team title run (which he never had.) Bryan gave up and ended the interview after 20 minutes.  Most go an hour.

2) His Art of Wrestling appearance.  Colt told the story on a previous show about how he wrestled Buff and Bagwell talked to him like he was a rookie.  And then he got confused when the fans chanted for Colt.  Colt throws a shit fit on his show, invites him on, and the first think Buff does is tell him what a fan he is of his show and how great it is to be on it and Colt basically says "But we just had a match and you didn't know who I was."

Side tangent re: Meltzer's ratings

Apparently there is a sports book somewhere that takes bets on what Dave will rate a match.

Only learned of it because someone asked Dave about it on Twitter and Dave was like "I have to pretend it isn't there!"

• Like 1

BTW - just for the context

After their 1/4 match, which was one of the best matches I’ve ever seen, I watched the Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada match from 1994, which many call the best match ever. Obviously that is a subjective subject and there are tons of matches that can fit into that category, but more people I know would say Misawa vs. Kawada then any other. I would say the two were comparable. They were different. Misawa vs. Kawada was more a fight and more heated, like an incredible sports contest. Omega vs. Okada I was more spectacular when it came to moves, as we’re 23 years later but every bit as dramatic, which is ultimately the goal. What I can say is that while this match was not as heated as either of those two matches, it was more intense, featured better selling, was more drama and told a better story than either. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the greatest match they’ve ever seen. This was better than those two matches that I thought were the best ones I’d ever seen. It was the two best wrestlers in the world at this point in time, both in the best match of their lives. We are seeing history with this Okada championship run and this Omega vs. Okada program. This is the modern version of the 1989 Flair-Steamboat series, which consisted of three major national shows (they also did dozens of house show matches, most of which were close to the level, at least one of which was above the level, of the three national matches, which is something Omega and Okada didn’t do). Omega and Okada are right now scheduled for three matches this year, and after two, they are well ahead in comparison, even factoring in the time and place elements. I don’t know how you could top it, except some day, like everything, it will happen. ******1/4

I heart Dave so much

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Buff Bagwell in an interview a couple years ago spoke on that TNA Angle where Sting brought him out as a potential tag partner before choosing Samoa Joe. And Buff went on a tirade about how much better shape he was than Joe and how he should have been in the PPV main event not Joe in 2006 mind you. I got a chuckle over how delusional he sounded. 

Just imagine if you're Buff. You come up at a time when all you really need is a great look. If I recall due to his look he was making good money even back in his GWF days. By the end of WCW he was making $400k plus. As the average to below average  worker he was he fit right in in the 1.5 star fest the was the wcw upper card scene. If wcw had survived there's no reason to think he wouldn't have stuck around for years making great money. Theoretically he might have even snuck his way into the main event. 

Then over period of five months in 2001, WCW is purchased, he signs some kind of deal with WWE and is released after his stinker with Booker. You spend the next sixteen years not being able to catch a break (maybe that gigolo show counts). That's a hell of a quick fall.

I also learned that Buff married a woman named Judy. That man sure loves his mama. 

• Like 1

I love Dave trolling those that get upset by the start ratings, and 61/4 is going to bring up a lot of discussion for awhile.  That's great and all, but the only downside is he talks about this on Twitter a lot.  I got enough tweets to go through and him going on a spree doesn't help matters.

51 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

I also learned that Buff married a woman named Judy. That man sure loves his mama. 

I just wonder if Buff's wife Judy shaves his balls or if his mother still does that for him

8 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

I just wonder if Buff's wife Judy shaves his balls or if his mother still does that for him

What's sad is considering we're talking about Buff I'm sure that was a joke, but don't rule out the possibility that that's happened/still happens.

• Like 1

Dave's ratings have taken on a life of their own since the first 6 star match, honestly though, Okada forgot to sell his knee about a quarter of the match in, as much as I hate judging fake fights and if called upon would rate the majority of Strowman's matches as 5 stars or whatever parameters you want to work with because I like what I like, a simple thing like OKADA NO SELLING THE KNEE THAT OMEGA HAS BEEN BATTERING FOR 20 MINUTES is a notch against this match being anywhere near the goat, Dave has lost his mind 

• Like 1

Because Rusev is still a national treasure

That was in response to Pro Wrestling Sheet reporting that Rusev had been cleared to wrestle

• Like 3

That is kind of nuts. I wish Jinder was a better wrestler. I could totally get behind his current run if he was at least as good as Baron or even Mojo, but he is so mediocre. That first match with Orton was a miracle of booking and Orton giving a shit though, maybe a bit too much (poor Singh brothers).

• Like 1