DVDVR Message Board

REBOOTED Feb 2017 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

I've only done one Mania so far...Wrestlemania 24 and it was a blast. Spent Wednesday to Sunday morning in Miami and basically went from a club to the airport and flew to Orlando. Given that Ric Flair retired that night, it was fitting that I had a Horseman style weekend. WOOOOOOOOOO!

• Like 4

I've attended a few ppvs

IYH: Cold Day in Hell--Austin vs. Taker, Shamrock vs. Vader plus Mankind being cheered for putting Rocky out with the mandible claw
Armaggedon 99-6 Man Hell in a Cell, Vince vs. HHH in the match where Stephanie turned plus The Kat taking off her top
Uncensored 2000--Yappippippippiipiipii STRAP MATCH b/t Flair and Hogan. Knobbs vs. Three Count for the Hardcore Title. The Harris Brothers vs. The Mamalukes for the tag-titles! The Artist Formerly Known as Prince Iaukea vs. Psychosis! Smell the excitement!
Wrestlemania 28--Rock/Cena, Punk/Y2J, HHH/Taker in the HITC while HBK cried in the corner, hearing We Are Young by Fun about as many times as Dolph Ziggler has fought the Miz and Kofi Kingston
Battleground 2016--Shield triple threat. The Last Ever Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens match (LOL).

14 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

No recollection of Cole's Mania match? That's an unhealthy amount of time to black out for. 

Considering how that match went, his mind probably repressed the memory for the good of his mental health.

I've been to Wrestlemania 19, 31, 32 and am going to 33. I've also been to No Way Out 09 and Over the Limit 11. I got super duper drunk at Over the Limit so l don't remember much, but I friend who was sober at it tells me it wasn't that good.

Given my proximity to Chicago, until recently, I went to most PPVs and TV shows there. The big one I missed, which I'll always regret, was MitB 2011. That week and weekend was picked by my ex-wife for a vacation. Oh well. 

7 hours ago, AxB said:

On the edited one hour version of RAW on SKY 1, they cut to old crowd shots whenever there's a weapon strike (it airs at 11AM on Sundays). And when I say old crowd shots, I mean pre-HD. It's usually Hardy girls from about 1999-2000.

Jesus, like in Global? And I thought our country was crazy

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

That's a good show for your first wrestling event: A WrestleMania, The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels classic, Ricky Steamboat's awesome comeback and the dire Triple H vs. Randy Orton main event.

I think of 25, and my instant reaction is "that was a bad show outside of HBK-Taker." But really though, excluding the Divas battle royal -- which was horrible for Kid Rock screeching in the background -- the only really bad part was the main event. 

But good god was the main event TRASH. 

I'd have to put that Orton-HHH match in my bottom five Mania mains ever. Others: Sid-Hulk at 8, Hitman-Yoko at 9, Sid-Taker at 13, Miz-Cena at 27. I will defend Bam Bam Bigelow vs. LT until I'm in the grave, idc.

Orton and Trips actually reminds me of Taker and Sid from 13: plodding, boring and WAAAAAAAAY too long. At least the WM13 match had the excuse of Sid crapping his pants early on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Given my proximity to Chicago, until recently, I went to most PPVs and TV shows there. The big one I missed, which I'll always regret, was MitB 2011. That week and weekend was picked by my ex-wife for a vacation. Oh well. 

That was a good show and all, but I think divorcing her because she made you miss it might be a bit of an overreaction.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

I think of 25, and my instant reaction is "that was a bad show outside of HBK-Taker." But really though, excluding the Divas battle royal -- which was horrible for Kid Rock screeching in the background -- the only really bad part was the main event. 

But good god was the main event TRASH. 

I'd have to put that Orton-HHH match in my bottom five Mania mains ever. Others: Sid-Hulk at 8, Hitman-Yoko at 9, Sid-Taker at 13, Miz-Cena at 27. I will defend Bam Bam Bigelow vs. LT until I'm in the grave, idc.

Orton and Trips actually reminds me of Taker and Sid from 13: plodding, boring and WAAAAAAAAY too long. At least the WM13 match had the excuse of Sid crapping his pants early on. 

I actually don't remember too much from the show despite being there. I recall Taker/HBK being great though I still haven't actually watched the damn thing again for no real reason. I recall enjoying the triple threat between Cena, Edge, & Show. And I recall the crowd being mostly dead for Orton/HHH.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Matt D said:

Did they give it right back to Alexa, Bockwinkel-style? Because that'd be some awesome heat.

We could do a tournament, but man, that's so much work.  So we're just going to give it back to the guy who just lost.

• Like 1

Reading the IYH network thread and it got me thinking - is Legacy the most unsuccessful main event stable of of the last fifteen years or so? They had Orton, who was already main event level; Ted Dibiase, who never got much of anywhere; Cody, who plateau'd at upper midcard and then floundered; and two guys so forgettable they were basically there just to get kicked out. It was really a poor man's Evolution, and showed that Orton isn't cut out to be a building block around that sort of thing. He's better on his own or as a high-ranking lackey (Evolution; Authority; Wyatt Family.)

For the purposes of this thesis, I'm distinguishing between midcard/low-level stables like the Corrrrre or the Social Outcasts and those who had at least one member get a sniff at the main event scene for longer than a week - Nexus (never got a title but I'd definitely rank them as more successful); Authority; nWo WWE; Wyatt Family; the Shield; etc. I guess maybe an argument could be made for la Familia and JBL's Cabinet being comparable.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

What real success did the Hart Foundation have? Bret won the WWF Championship without their help. Outside of Bret and maybe Owen that group wasn't that impressive

Owen and Bulldog were the tag team champions when the stable formed. Owen was the Intercontinental Champ and Bulldog was the inaugural European Champ. Owen later won the IC title again after Austin had to vacate due to his neck injury.

• Like 5

Bret was WWF champion, Owen won two Intercontinenal belts, Bulldog was Euro champ and they had the tag belts for a bit.

Legacy could have done better if they let Ted Jr and Cody do anything. Ted was treated consistently like a punk and I think he lacked the heart to fight back. Cody hung in there and did better when the group dissolved. Orton beating them both was a very fitting tribute.

Lowest point was Cena beating Ted with a pipe and Ted never tries to get revenge.

The Hart Foundation also was punked out when DX stole the European Title from the Bulldog in England and then when the screwed Bret in Montreal. Neidhart never had any value. Pillman was great on the stick and in angles but once the bell rang it was somewhat sad towards the end.

Comparing apples to apples as best as I can I'd say:

Orton > Bret

Cody < Owen

Ted > Bulldog

The Hart Foundation never really improved anyone's standing long term (though Montreal plays a huge part in it) whereas Legacy helped Cody out with the in the ring stuff and he was doing well as a upper midcard guy after Legacy. The stuff after the group ends is also what stops groups like the Nation of Domination (Rock) and the original DX from being a bad group overall since DX got Chyna and Hunter over into much better positions than they were prior to DX being formed even if their only wins were HBK wins

Overall I think Bret is better than Orton (Bret's in my top 5 all time) but 1997-2000 Bret is not better than 2008-Present Orton. With their careers in different points when the groups were formed makes it hard to make an apples to apples comparison.

That's generally a WWE problem. They never had a successful stable like the Four Horsemen in the early days of the WWF as their first real successful stable was the HHH-led DX. So when they grouped guys together it was very much like throwing random people together and hoping for the best.

17 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

Orton > Bret

Cody < Owen

Ted > Bulldog

I don't say those are wrong. But those are really wrong. Cody and Ted are not in Bulldog's league, much less Owen and Bret. 

Neidhart worked well as the enforcer of the group and Pillman was the wild card. 

That One Night Only match is nearly the worst booking the WWF has ever done. They did not even try to explain why Owen and Bret were not helping. Not even a passing Bret was injured by Taker and Owen by Vader. 

20 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I actually think Teddy Jr would have been better with a babyface run before his time was up.

People were cheering Ted at the end of Legacy and WWE would not give him anything. He was a really good hand but they treated him like crap. I can't blame him for quitting. 

• Like 2

1997-2000 Bret had the WM13 match (better than any of Orton's matches), the Montreal match with HBK (which was pretty good until the ending), and the Owen tribute match.  He was still doing exceptional work right up until his last match.  Yeah, his WCW run was largely unexceptional, but they had no idea what how to use him, and it's hard to blame him if he had a hard time staying motivated.  Can you imagine how few fucks Orton would have to give if he was around for the dying days of WCW?  He'd make Kevin Nash look like Bryan Danielson.

• Like 8