DVDVR Message Board

The Awesome/Annoying TV COMMERCIAL Thread

piranesi

In response to the "random single spot ads re-running" the fact that you will still see one of the old time Cadbury egg commercials around Easter time still blows my mind

I don't think that ad has ever stopped running. They are still using that stupid mime/talking baby ad.

The new Wendy's ads for chibatta bread are a whole new level of annoying. The KFC fake YouTube blogs are absolutely some of the worst I've seen in years.

I don't think that ad has ever stopped running. They are still using that stupid mime/talking baby ad.

The new Wendy's ads for chibatta bread are a whole new level of annoying. The KFC fake YouTube blogs are absolutely some of the worst I've seen in years.

I'm really worn out with this new trend of food companies basically pulling complicated words that mean "bread" out of their ass and pretending it means anything to me other than "bread".

Also, the new Old Spice commercial with the mom crying in the tree is the most obvious public cry for help you could ever hope to see. We're into full blown "drug addicts do inexplicable things at work hoping their loved ones will step in" now. I hope whatever the issues of those involved are, that they can confront and own their pain and start getting on with their lives.

• Like 2

This will be of interest to know one who isn't disturbingly obsessed with these details...but I've finally pinpointed the graphic and design books that keep showing up in the background of the Wendy's Lady commercials.  In the latest, they are right in the center of the frame behind them.

http://youtu.be/w8nghTN-IxQ

They are the following:

images333.jpgcover_mi_illustration_now_0706041347_id_cover_mi_sustainable_era_design_int_1302

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrations-Now-Illustration-Julius-Wiedemann/dp/3822840335

http://www.amazon.com/Illustration-Now-Vol-Julius-Wiedemann/dp/382283016X/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=040HA1MZ0RSY9WVBFSYT

http://www.amazon.com/Product-Design-The-Sustainable-Era/dp/3836520931

I submit this merely for the exhaustiveness of my trivial obsessions...and to chronicle my madness.

If anyone comes across this message, see it as a cautionary tragedy.  Learn from my sad fate, burn this, and move back toward the world of the living.

I don't understand why Dairy Queen insists on having hipsters promote their 5 dollar lunch thing. 

I eat at the Dairy Queen in my town pretty much constantly (great onion rings and a Blizzard for dessert? Yes, please!) and I've never seen anyone under the age of 65 buy that $5 lunch. So I'm not sure the commercials are reaching their target audience.

And Piranesi, that's dedication to your craft right there. I can't quit thinking about The Little Red-Haired Girl (TM Charlie Brown) to think about much else, though the latest one with the ciabatta bread is the first that makes me wanna throw things despite her.  

POT PIE! 

Pot Pie guy makes me feel in favor of capital punishment on random American citizens.

The one with the cunt loudly eating her lunch at work and then giggling about it is an abortion. The one with the mom giving herself a self high five for buying fast food for dinner is a close second.

The fake video blogs for toothpaste are awful too, especially when they show huge closeups of people mugging into the camera.

Both of the new categories of geico ads are really annoying. The pig ones are bad enough, but the other ones are much worse. You know the ones with a person saying the bit about 15 minutes saving you money, then the other person saying, yeah I know. SO then the first person has to be a dick and add some inane factoid? Yeah fuck those ads with a spiked dildo. . . 

• Like 1

The worst Geico ad is the one where the lizard is in Philadelphia.  And we learn about Philadelphia...that they eat cheese steak sandwiches...which...way to stretch for a single thing about a place.

And then there is a song that goes:

Cheese Steak! Cheese Steak!

Everywhere a Cheese Steak!

Everday a Cheese Steak!

Cheese Steak! Shuffle

I don't even like Philadelphia and I want to fucking kill someone for that.

The one I don't get is the older black man who looks at the camera and says 'next time you rent a DVD take my advice DONT rewind it, that's the next guys problem' what I'm not sure is a) is he being ironic and there playing the old people don't get technology or b ) that some people actually think you have to rewind DVDs

The worst Geico ad is the one where the lizard is in Philadelphia.  And we learn about Philadelphia...that they eat cheese steak sandwiches...which...way to stretch for a single thing about a place.

And then there is a song that goes:

Everywhere a Cheese Steak!

Everday a Cheese Steak!

Cheese Steak! Shuffle

I don't even like Philadelphia and I want to fucking kill someone for that.

My annoyance with that commercial is that he's CRIP-WALKING IN PHILLY!!!  IN PHILLY!!!

The one I don't get is the older black man who looks at the camera and says 'next time you rent a DVD take my advice DONT rewind it, that's the next guys problem' what I'm not sure is a) is he being ironic and there playing the old people don't get technology or b ) that some people actually think you have to rewind DVDs

I just love that guy, though.  And his house.  It looks fantastic.  The super low fireplace, paneling, shag carpeting...two giant keys hanging on the wall.  People used to hang huge keys on the wall as trophies of, like, the time they won the deed to a giant's house in a game of Connect Four.

I have to imagine there's a plate of cold cuts and radish slices somewhere nearby.

AND LOOK AT THE TELEVISION!!! That thing is meant to watch BARNABY JONES on.

That dude does not give a fuck about the rest of the world.  He managed to create paradise in 1979 and he's not changing any of it.