DVDVR Message Board

The Awesome/Annoying TV COMMERCIAL Thread

piranesi

• 2 weeks later...

So I just saw a Mac 'n' Cheese commercial with Vanilla Ice stocking shelves while doing "Go Ninja Go!" with some mom getting down with him as her kid looks on all annoyed.

I honestly had to watch it again to make sure my mind wasn't fucking with me.

So after Jaguar hired a trio of Brit film villains to shill their cars, Cadillac counters with their ad for the all-electric ELR, featuring Neal "The Whitest Guy You Know" McDonough.

I have liberal friends in Northern California who are horrified by the levels of douchiness in this commercial.  They, of course, are missing the point.  You don't put Robert Quarles in a nice suit and expect him NOT to be douchey.  And when was the last time that Les Paul got name-checked in an advert, I ask you?

Plus: it's just a really fucking funny ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4hI6koIRYk

Yeah, but Donald is a brutal mother.  We've always known that and we're comfortable with that. 

The Potato-heads are supposed to be like us.  Which makes that kind of the commercial equivalent of, like, FUNNY GAMES or something.

Except the commercial made it all sexualized...which is even darker.  It was like it was a bigger deal that she had murdered and eaten someone other than him.  Like devotion stems from the flesh and devours the flesh.

That's some Lars von Trier Antichrist shit right there.  Like the point of the story is to imagine what happens after the screen fades to black. [shiver]

I've noticed this commercial is back in the regular rotation:

I think this started airing in, like, 2010.  That's crazy, right?  For a single spot to re-emerge like that?  I wonder if three actors have ever pulled so many residuals or whatever it's called from one commercial...not, like, a series, but just one spot. 

I'd like to think they're all rich now from this one ad...but maybe probably that's not how it works.

I always wondered why he was calling about insurance at 3 am in the morning. I assume his wife was right and he's having an affair with the dude in khakis.