DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

9 hours ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

"It's art. You are way too uneducated and uncultured to get it." -Every Coen Brothers superfan when someone criticizes one of their crappy movies. 

37 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

I just glanced up and saw someone claim that the Coen Brothers make crappy movies and I'm like...fuck, I can't even...shit if the Coens are artsy an incomprehensible to you you might wanna stick to Michael Bay dude...

You literally just said what he said Coen Brothers fans say.

• Like 7

• Blood Simple: Good
  • Raising Arizona: Great
  • Miller's Crossing: Great
  • Barton Fink: OK
  • Hudsucker Proxy: OK
  • Fargo: Great
  • Big Lebowski: Great
  • O Brother, Where Art Thou?: Gimmick.
  • The Man Who Wasn't There: The movie I didn't watch.
  • Intolerable Cruelty: Or this one.
  • Ladykillers: Or this.
  • No Country For Old Men: Good.
  • Burn After Reading: Not seen.
  • A Serious Man: Dunno.
  • True Girt: Dunno.
  • Inside Llewyn Davies: Haven't seen it, but it sounds awful.
  • Hail Caesar:Sounds gimmicky and I'm not interested.

So they've got good films, films I haven't seen, and O Brother, which loads of people loved but I thought was just a lazy, empty pastiche designed to rest on Clooney's charisma and nothing else.

Well maybe there's a fucking reason to say it...I mean I'd understand if he was talking about, say, David Lynch, but the Coens aren't really that out there...I mean Barton Fink is as weird as they get and it's like maybe a 0.2 on the Mulholland Drive scale.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

So...is anyone doing a wrestling themed costume for Halloween this year?

I'm planning on being John Cena.  I'm not dressing as him or anything just telling a girl I'm never going to marry her or give her children and then kick her out of my house when I'm done with her.

Rapadoo! BUMBADUMBUM

• Like 4

I am in the camp that loves Hudsucker and O, Brother, but Intolerable Cruelty and Ladykillers are pretty bad. I didnt "get" A Serious Man. 

The pluses are huge pluses that's for sure.

but i think that's true for most directors with a 20+' year career. Marty has some duds. Señor Spielbergo has duds. John Ford had duds. kurosawa had duds. 

Just now, BEN! said:

I'm planning on being John Cena.  I'm not dressing as him or anything just telling a girl I'm never going to marry her or give her children and then kick her out of my house when I'm done with her.

Rapadoo! BUMBADUMBUM

I'll be at work, so i can wear a black t-shirt and am already fat with a goatee, so i can go as a stereotypical 90s wrestling fan. Or Don Montoya. 

12 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

i've never seen Grindhouse but I've seen every other film and i liked them all. Do you have a wrestler that has never had a bad match, Bret maybe?

Maybe I'm the wrong person to chime in because I'm a huge Tarantino mark, but I don't think he's put out any stinkers, including his half of Grindhouse, Death Proof. The whole Grindhouse experience was probably the most fun I've ever had at the movies.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

How many bad Arn matches have you seen? Maybe not counting the Renegade one since that was Flair throwing a hissy fit as booker.

That match wasn't terrible, even if Renegade had almost zero redeeming qualities.  At least Arn was trying to drag something useful out if it.

5 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

That match wasn't terrible, even if Renegade had almost zero redeeming qualities.  At least Arn was trying to drag something useful out if it.

Arn should also get points for making Tom McGee look good in 1988.

I can't comment on the Bret/Tom McGee match because like most people, I've never seen it.

21 minutes ago, Matt D said:

How many bad Arn matches have you seen? Maybe not counting the Renegade one since that was Flair throwing a hissy fit as booker.

What about when he had to put over Erik Watts? 

I bet he had some not great matches in Southeastern or Georgia we likely havent seen.