DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

45 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

That's interesting. I keep meaning to post somewhere how I think that match might be better than their overrated Iron Man match.  I certainly wouldn't call it "pretty crappy".

SWEET FUCK.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well people are all up in arms this week again because Meltzer pointed out that the WWE still has no plans to bring Nakamura up since they want him to be be the NXT brand carrier

I don't know why anyone would be upset about that. Isn't that the same boat Finn was in this time last year? He ended up doing alright on the main roster... Booking wise, obviously, the injury was bad luck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tbarrie said:

That's interesting. I keep meaning to post somewhere how I think that match might be better than their overrated Iron Man match.  I certainly wouldn't call it "pretty crappy".

To each his own but in my opinion, you can see that Rude doesn't really have a clue how to piece together a match at that point. He's just randomly clubbing away, punching and putting on chinlocks with no real goal in mind. It was like watching someone like Mason Ryan wrestle where you can almost see the wheels turning in his head where he's struggling to think of something to do.

As I was watching WWE Network today, I was wondering who owns the XPW tape library and would Vince ever want it? I have two of their tapes that I bought for like $10 from one of the old Suncoast video stores. Terrible stuff but I remember always getting a kick out of Homeless Jimmy and White Trash Johnny Webb.

8 hours ago, Brysynner said:

So there's a rumor going around that Becky Lynch is not going to get much promo time because Kevin Dunn hates her voice. If true, that would be a dumb hill to die on for Dunn, who historically, has been able to read the tea leaves on who the McMahons favor. And considering the rumors that Vince (and Steph) really like Irish wrestlers it would be dumb for Dunn to admit he does not like her Irish accent.

So you're saying that Kevin Dunn needs to be fired.

On air.

With no one in the production truck to insist on seizure inducing editing and camera wobbling while he's fired.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The only issue is that he can't just do his entrance and that's it - he has to wrestle, too. 

He got a better match out of Sting than HHH or Rollins could.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brysynner said:

So there's a rumor going around that Becky Lynch is not going to get much promo time because Kevin Dunn hates her voice. If true, that would be a dumb hill to die on.

The thought of Luke Harper torturing Kevin Dunn warms my heart. "Kevin Dunn, you picked a beautiful hill to die on."

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Who was filming and why?  I would have figured in 1988 that was still not a thing they'd want to be doing. Exposing the biz and such

Jimmy Garvin filmed it. I assume it was supposed to be for his personal use and not a legitimate documetary, but it's been floating around the internet for years.  LOl, I've got the footage on DVD (bought from a "tape trader" long time ago).

As to why.... um, blackmail?  I have no idea why you'd film that stuff, though this was 1988; pre-internet and before people started assuming everything they record could end up on the internet somewhere.

Edit; In answer to the question of how long the footage has been around, I acquired it something like 10-15 years ago.  And I'd been seeing "Behind the Scenes at the Bash" listed in traders' catalogs for a while before I picked it up. 

• Like 2