DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Web Conn said:

i've never seen Grindhouse but I've seen every other film and i liked them all. Do you have a wrestler that has never had a bad match, Bret maybe?

Daniel Bryan, Eddie and Benoit? Nice Guy Eddie is right to point out the ECW One Night Stand 2005 match with Eddie wanting to be elsewhere.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KidNatural said:

I can't think of a bad match that Rick Steamboat had...

He had a pretty crappy match with Rick Rude at RR88. Rude was in control for most of it and I'd say 95% of his offense at that point in his career consisted of clubbing forearms and chinlocks. Also felt like Steamboat was phoning it in during the match too.

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

He had a pretty crappy match with Rick Rude at RR88. Rude was in control for most of it and I'd say 95% of his offense at that point in his career consisted of clubbing forearms and chinlocks. Also felt like Steamboat was phoning it in during the match too.

There are criticisms that Steamboat didn't get over in All Japan (I heard one recently that Youngblood was more over there than he was).

He sold too much. Not enough fighting spirit inside the Dragon. Another reason Japanese wrestling sucks, not to mention how they defrauded Jimmy Golden and gave Kawada credit for creating the improperly named Ganso (GOLDEN) Bomb.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Like this one from GLOW

ganso.gif

Is that pre-1981? Because Jimmy Golden did the Golden Bomb first on April 18th 1981. Don't be a part of the misinformation cover up you're better than this.

y7wg1Wu.gif

I maintain my very hard line stance of "gifs or it didn't happen" in regards to misinformation trying to discredit Jimmy Golden, the one and true originator of the Golden Bomb. Especially when you're just making up names like there was ever even wrestling in France pffftttt

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, gatling said:

After time traveling from Japan on one his 400 days a year schedule.  I think the real question is whether Doc Brown invented the DeLorean time machine or if Hogan developed the flux capacitor technology first.

I don't know about the car, but I'm pretty sure Hogan knew John DeLorean quite well. 

• Like 9

Who needs a time traveling car when you have you have access to that much cocaine?  Hogan probably just snorted up whatever was on the carpet at the time - that explains why his cats kept disappearing - flapped his arms, and flew back to the 1970's

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

By this statement - I am taking it you only are familiar with them due to the WWE

One of the things that I never really got was that people said these guys were good as the Sheepherders. I thought they were pretty mediocre then, too.

The Fantastics are one of the best tag teams ever, IMO, and I don't think one of their matches with the Sheepherders goes beyond "decent," for example. I've never seen them in Stampede (they were there, right?) or anything, so maybe there is some great match or feud that I'm still missing. 

28 minutes ago, DTTW said:

My inner child wants to call you a poopy head for smack talking his favorite tag team.

My inner child wants to beat up your inner child and take your inner lunch money for cheering the Bushwhackers.  

(Like I was any better - I hitched my wagon to Sid early on and wouldn't get off)

• Like 1

I can't hate the Bushwhackers too much..... I've tried.  Both guys were pretty much shot physically by the time they got to the WWE and Luke had had a hip replacement and couldn't take a bump.  They extended their careers and made a nice chunk of change with the gimmick, so...

Mark me down as a Sheepherder's fan.  Probably an acquired taste though.

• Like 1