DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

30 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Not sure what NWAOnDemand and Highspots has hit, but NJ World is still reportedly in 5 figures.  Last hard number I can find on it is 22,000, but that was over a year ago.

Isn't that mostly Japanese subscribers with like a thousand from the US and less than that from the rest of the world?

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

According to Meltzer:

• PWG turned down FloSlam "flat, without even a conversation".
  • WWE has a stake in the company, but they have zeo influence or say-so.
  • WWE isn't happy that the price value for independent wrestling content just "skyrocketed (and that word isn't exaggerated)"
  • If your name is "Adam Cole, the Young Bucks or Kyle O'Reilly" you have no idea what good news this could possibly be.

I don't expect PWG on either platform. They are the only promotion that can use TNA, ROH, LU and New Japan talent and part of the reason for that is that they don't do PPVs, livestreams etc. A deal like that would pretty much end that.

IF this whole thing flames out, I wonder how the companys that do sign on with FloSlam would react, do they go to Vince and take what ever he gives them to try to keep a streaming platform or try to go on their own again. Or does Vince do Vince things and blackball all the companies that work with FloSlam from ever being on the Network (damnit!).

Of course this all depends on if any one worth the WWE would see as worth a damn even signs on.

Oh God this is gonna help save TNA from the brink for a while again isn't it. Dixie's probably calling them now cause she heard they have money available upfront.

28 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

When I go to their site and I can't even get info on what promotions will be featured or what matches or events are going to be available, and I see it costs twice what WWE Network costs, it's already a big fat no.  I barely have time to watch Raw and SmackDown these days; I'm not going to go out of my way to pay even more to a newcomer that can't give me basics.

I was going to say that it was 'leaked' so it wasn't completely the company's fault, but then saw their site is set up and takes money. So they really should have more details if they are accepting money.

Has anyone reported on this yet?

I thought another company that won't like this apart from WWE will be Pivotshare. Pivotshare, if you don't know, is the streaming company that hosts all those individual wrestling networks for Highspots, Progress, ICW, Revolution Pro, NEW, PWX and on and on. Then I went on their website and saw this press release that was just put out a few days ago:

Pivotshare has proven itself as the industry leader in the SVOD world focused on helping our publishers reach a larger audience. We are proud to announce yet another relationship in our growing list of international distribution partners. Today at their Northern American unveiling, digital pioneer LeEco announced the launch of LeEco Live, their entertainment marketplace to which Pivotshare will be contributing multiple channels. We are happy to help our channel partners to open themselves to yet another new market.

The company moved 8 million phones in overseas markets in 2015 and is on pace to ship 15 million this year. Dubbed the “Netflix of China”, the company made their first ripples in the North American market when they purchased television manufacturer, Vizio, this summer to the tune of $2 billion. At their press conference in San Francisco, company spokesmen announced plans for a North American rollout for phones, televisions, high-tech bicycles, self-driving cars, as well as LeEco Live, their entertainment environment.

According to corporate stats, in China, LeEco Live pulls in over 350 million monthly users for its digital content services (compared to Netflix with 47 million U.S. subscribers), and offers over 10,000 TV shows and 5,000 movies. Initially, Pivotshare will be providing content from three channels to the service: FitFusion (with fitness icon, Jillian Michaels), Powerslam, a collection of some of our favorite pro wrestling partners from around the world, as well as Cross Counter, a channel focused on the eSports fighting games community. All of our content will be available for an added subscription price for all current subscribers to LeEco’s platform.

Pivotshare firmly believes that this partnership will be not only a wonderful revenue generator for our channel partners, but also an amazing way to introduce their brands to an unbelievably large audience that they would otherwise have no access to. The Pivotshare team is working hard to open as many distribution opportunities as possible for our clients, whether it is their owned and operated channel, online SVOD marketplaces, or even conventional linear delivery on cable tv.

https://www.pivotshare.com/blog/pivotshare-partners-with-leeco-to-expand-distribution-for-svod-channels/

I highlighted the most important parts. That seems like pretty big news as well.

1 hour ago, Michael Sweetser said:

When I go to their site and I can't even get info on what promotions will be featured or what matches or events are going to be available, and I see it costs twice what WWE Network costs, it's already a big fat no.  I barely have time to watch Raw and SmackDown these days; I'm not going to go out of my way to pay even more to a newcomer that can't give me basics.

This shows what a potential fiasco this is threatening to be. The news stating the things this service MAY contain and not what it DOES contain says to me, that maybe it would have been a good idea to lock that down before announcing, in that now Floslam has given away anything resembling a bargaining position. 

And if history of this business has taught us anything, too many separate business interests colliding has never ended well. 

I don't get how this will work. So, this site will host live events from indy companies all over the world? How do you even coordinate that? How will profits be split? This is basically Fight Pass, then? 

How much original content could be provided on there weekly?

Strange announcement. I dunno...I just think if you're that passionate about a particular independent wrestling/international group you're probably already good with the way they distribute content or you know how to find it already.  

It's also worth noting that their "People" page has, for some reason, a random smattering of WWE guys mixed in with some of the more prominent indie guys.

Also, I've seen idle speculation that, depending on the contracts, this could set WWE up to acquire a whole host of content if FloSlam fails.

11 minutes ago, Hagan said:

I don't get how this will work. So, this site will host live events from indy companies all over the world? How do you even coordinate that? How will profits be split? This is basically Fight Pass, then? 

How much original content could be provided on there weekly?

Strange announcement. I dunno...I just think if you're that passionate about a particular independent wrestling/international group you're probably already good with the way they distribute content or you know how to find it already.  

Yes, right now, I'm announcing on the MMA version of this site, FloCombat. You can watch our show one weekend (Caged Madness from Ohio), then the next weekend some show from Texas, then Arizona, etc. Sometimes they have three or four events per weekend, so I imagine they will try to cobble together big "indy wrestling" weekends in the same way. 

BTW - to be fair (assuming they are delivering what they are promising) $12.50 a month is a lot more reasonable.

You just have to pay it in one lump sum for the Yearly Fee

It shouldn't make a difference where Evolve is streaming anyway.  If WWE didn't get spooked by them being on the Fite TV app (which also airs TNA shows and the like) then this shouldn't make a difference either.  And honestly I've been hoping for them to do a subscription service as it's bad enough ordering two shows a month.  Not sure if I'd do a full year of this, but color me intrigued.

Meltzer said they will be having a "guest from the company" on the radio show. I don't know if he means tonight or later this week.

I am assuming that person is Gabe

Phil refused to post this anywhere, but our big theory (which is his fault too since he concurs with me) is that WWE put money into this thing as a potential feeler so that they won't be reliant on the MLB Network for the streaming of their network anymore and they're totally okay with this as having some content on the service will allow for it to grow and build up the infrastructure. This is all part of their plan and we won't have any awesome Vince hissy fits. It all feels too insane otherwise.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Let's, hypothetically, say that FloSlam announces later today/this week that they'll have stuff from companies like PWG, ROH, CMLL, New Japan, UK indies, etc. available OnDemand and you can stream their weekly/monthly shows live, and all you have to pay is $20 a month.

That... sounds like a hell of a deal.

Not if the site is a piece of crap.  I expect content to be streamed live in 1080P without (or minimal) interruptions. That is the standard that has been set and so far none of these companies have been reliable at all.