DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

Honestly, I've been expecting this to happen in the books for the last four years. I've felt the books were leading up to Stannis eventually sacrificing Shireen for the throne for a long time.

Honestly, I've been expecting this to happen in the books for the last four years. I've felt the books were leading up to Stannis eventually sacrificing Shireen for the throne for a long time.

Yeah, I need to go back and watch some stuff which is cool because I just got season 3 on Blu Ray.

jdzuvY9.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, there's Tyrion and Dany and...well, that's about it I guess.

Although poor Dany - she spent five seasons going from Dothraki plaything all the up to queen of a major city positioned to (finally) reclaim her birthright in Westeros and now she's right back where she started. Her story not only hasn't really moved forward in like two seasons, it's now gone backward. At this rate I think we'll get a flying car before she actually launches her invasion.

I don't know if I'd call this the "worst episode" but man after last week's glorious high (one of the best eps of the series imo) this one really dampened my enthusiasm for the series going forward. If there's one thing I hate in a show is when characters act blatantly stupid. I'm not a huge Jon Snow mark and I realize the Night's Watch are a gang of thieves and rapists but what part of "Scary Uber Powerful Ice Zombies are coming to kill you all" is fucking hard to understand? I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the idea that this noble "brotherhood" whose entire mission statement is to protect the realm is run by a bunch of imbeciles.

Well pretty much all of Westeros is run by people who make very questionable choices and end up looking like imbeciles, Tywin was the exception he always had his shit locked down, everyone else had been pretty iffy on their decision making.

Although poor Dany - she spent five seasons going from Dothraki plaything all the up to queen of a major city positioned to (finally) reclaim her birthright in Westeros and now she's right back where she started. Her story not only hasn't really moved forward in like two seasons, it's now gone backward. At this rate I think we'll get a flying car before she actually launches her invasion.

I don't know if I'd call this the "worst episode" but man after last week's glorious high (one of the best eps of the series imo) this one really dampened my enthusiasm for the series going forward. If there's one thing I hate in a show is when characters act blatantly stupid. I'm not a huge Jon Snow mark and I realize the Night's Watch are a gang of thieves and rapists but what part of "Scary Uber Powerful Ice Zombies are coming to kill you all" is fucking hard to understand? I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the idea that this noble "brotherhood" whose entire mission statement is to protect the realm is run by a bunch of imbeciles.

The Jon assassination happens for ultimately for the same reason in the book, but so much more goes into it that it makes more sense.  A big problem with the transition from book to show is that they don't have enough time to tell the same type of nuanced stories they do in the books.  First thing is that Stannis and Jon have a much better, more complex relationship.  Their relationship makes some of the Night's Watch uncomfortable, because they aren't supposed to take sides in the politics of the realm.  Jon gives Stannis multiple castles to garrison, which helps the watch as well as Stannis, but a lot of the watch believe that if Stannis loses the winning King will come up from the south and destroy them.  Mance Rayder is still alive in the books, and is sent to Winterfell to sabotage things before Stannis arives.  There is speculation that he might be playing his own game though.  The wildlings are at the wall for a good long while before Jon is killed, not to mention a pretty large number of Stannis' men.  There are multiple conflicts between all three groups, and Jon gets blamed, because let's face it he's the one who put them all together.  Then a letter comes that is supposedly from Ramsey, but no one really knows who it came from and Jon decides he's going to march to Winterfell and kick Ramsey's ass.  That is the last straw.  The assassins, who are generally good dudes in the books, aren't going to let Jon take other brothers south to potentially die for his personal beef.  The "For the Watch," statement is almost like they're telling him that the watch can't survive under his leadership.  The show made it look more personal. 

Fuck the Night's Watch. 

Down to zero characters anyone cares about. Well done.

Look on the bright side.  When the albino zombie apocalypse hits, you will actually look forward to the brain eating. 

Map of Westeros says that the Boltons will get it first.  I will throw a viewing party next season and toast when Ramsay Bolton gets his eyes pulled out of the sockets by an army of wights.

• Like 2

All of what supremebve said but also the main theme of the Watch turning on Jon is that tradition but more importantly infrastructure of well established systems is hard to change and often quick change leads to violence. Yeah, it may look stupid from an outsiders perspective that the white walkers aren't being taken as seriously by everyone not named Jon Snow but most people have blinders on. The brothers of the watch have their insular tradition and their very existence is to kill wildlings, so for them to be blinded to the white walkers isn't shocking particularly if you see them (and everything else in the show) as a metaphor for similar institutions in real life.

I had to watch this bullshit given how many of my friends were annoyed with it.

It was like watching a train wreck. So much was just really dumb. This show has made so many ridiculously horrible choices with characters to make people get emotional, and for what? We all knew Stannis had to die after killing his own daughter, but the way that happened was horribly handled. The greatest military leader in the land was outsmarted by 20 or so dudes, a witch convinces him to sacrifice his daughter, that sacrifice MAYBE melts the snow, and then half of his army goes AWOL. Stannis still leads his army into battle anyway, which felt like a suicide mission, except it wasn't played up like that at all. It would be one thing if Stannis was shown being possessed more and more, causing him to make these idiotic choices, but instead so much time was spent on making Stannis look good and wise after some initial awful choices he made. It just feels like Jaime raping Cersei all over again. An established character bucks so much of what was established for him to make that character do something totally awful.

If it wasn't that, then it was showing Sansa get raped and beaten repeatedly...only to not get her revenge on Ramsay and instead leap to her death with Reek. Reek, who also does not get any revenge for all of the shit he's been through. Not one fucking payoff was had.

Then there's all of the shit with the Night's Watch. So many of those fucks, including every Wildling, saw the tidal wave of fucking doom that was headed their way. Instead of listening to Jon or realizing that they're going to be fucked if they don't do something so, they choose to kill Jon. Makes perfect sense...

So when people in this thread or the other wonder why people don't give a shit about Cersei's walk of shame, it's because, if they're like me, there's no point in caring. B&W went so overboard with depressing bullshit this season that when they created this moment in the show, why would I care? Not just that, but for the whole series, Cersei was painted as this horrible monster. The scene itself was so depressing that it made me not even be able to muster any emotion at all. I couldn't be excited about her being shamed because the shaming itself was awful. The thought I had during that scene was, "well...whatever."

I really didn't like this season at all. Beyond all of the issues I had with the story, I thought that the sound production, direction and photography all took serious dips, but those story issues were horrendous. It was like Lori from the Walking Dead bad. Everyone was Lori Grimes.

• Like 1

Your criticisms sound like those of a book reader. You should read the books because it's a more rewarding experience and there's so much more depth to everything (perhaps too much depth at some points). 

That last shot of the episode my lady and I were both rooting for for death somehow followed by blue eyes from Jon, even if it would have made no sense,

Honestly, if that would have happened I'd be 100% team White Walker.

They cannot kill all these morons quickly enough.

• Like 1

Down to zero characters anyone cares about. Well done.

Well, I for one don't think Stannis is dead, and I don't think Jon will stay dead.

I also don't think we were supposed to view Sansa and Reek as leaping to their death. I assumed they were going to land in a big snowbank or something.