DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

To the credit of the show, I don't think anyone who participated in the stabbing have actually seen a White Walker.

Yeah, exactly. Everyone who went North with Mormont and saw the army of the dead storm the Fist of the First Men either died in that battle, died in the rebellion at Craster's Keep, died in the Battle at the Wall, or is Samwell Tarly or Dolorous Edd Tollett (the guy who went to Hardhome with Jon. Don't think anyone who hasn't read the books knows his name). Who were the only friends Jon had left, and didn't join in with the stabbing.

On last week's Watch the Thrones podcast, Grantland's maester referenced Edd and then legit said "But he either was never on the show or died a long while back, I can't remember."

Even "experts" don't know who he is!

Considering nobody ever talks to Edd long enough to address him by name, and he's never on screen long enough or has enough lines to exhibit his gimmick (and thus stick in any given viewer's memory), I'm not surprised.

He's one of my favorites and even I forget he's in the show until/unless I'm looking right at him.

I half expect the actor to forget he's still in the show and just stop showing up.

• Like 1

I still don't think everyone should be assuming that Stannis is dead (unless they know something from the books that I don't). Usually when someone dies in GoT, you see them get their head lopped off or whatever. The fact that the scene cut away right as Brienne was about to swing the sword, and the show's penchant for surprises, makes me think there's a good chance he'll be alive.

Of course, it is Game of Thrones, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was dead, either. But my money's on alive.

• Like 1

That is part of the fun now. We book readers are in the same boat as the shitbum unsullied (YEAH YOU!) for the most part! Is Jon Snow dead? PROBABLY NOT but it wouldn't be the most shocking of things if he is. Stannis? Fuggit, probably!? BUT MAYBE NOT.

I still don't think everyone should be assuming that Stannis is dead (unless they know something from the books that I don't).

Nope. The show is diverging pretty far from the books there. At the end of the last book, Stannis and his army are still in camp, still waiting to assault Winterfell; and he'd left his wife and daughter behind at the Wall, so the Shireen bonfire took us Maesters by surprise too. (And he didn't really execute Mance either, that had been the bone-armor guy under a magic disguise; clearly this ain't what happened in the show, since Tormund beat that guy to death with his own staff.) And there's been a preview chapter of the next book which seems to contradict the entirety of what happened to Stannis at Winterfell, or at least the timeline of it; so really, nobody knows what the hell is going on.

Yeah, I have no idea what is, was, or going to happen with Stannis.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was dead, alive, or his whole story was a dream.  Everything they did with him this season rang false, so maybe they are trying to swerve us and he's still alive.  What happened first Theon and Sansa's leap of faith or Brienne beheading Stannis?  If Theon and Sansa came first, I could see them interrupting her and them all running away, but I thought it was the opposite.

Stannis didn't die... on screen. This show gleefully murders people left and right. You think they are going to kill off such a major character without all the blood and guts?

Hard to believe, but it seems like the character is out of things to do so maybe he actually is dead.

The story is telling me yes, but the TV trope is screaming no... I honestly have no clue.

• Like 1

Ramsey is going to get the Joffrey treatment. He'll bask in his victory for a few minutes, realize that his playthings are missing, his whore is dead and send out a search party complete with the dogs of hell. It looks like Theon and Sansa are toast when they are saved by Pod and Brienne. Pod dies. Ramsey dies. Ghost may or may not make the save, just because. This will be resolved by episodes 2 or 3 next year. 

On the other hand, it feels like Roose will survive until he is given some Arya justice in Season 7. 

I think Ramsay will get iced when he tries to step to his old man.

It'd be nice if they are divided by blame, each pointing the finger at the other for losing Sansa.

But I think the takeaway from Roose telling the story of How I Met [And Raped] Your Mother is that Roose is actually way worse than Ramsay despite (because?) of his calm and measured exterior.  He made him, and he can break him if Ramsay is ever fool enough to give him an excuse to.  [Or he simply outlives his usefulness, which he just got a lot closer to with Stannis' demise.]

For the tone that the show has set so far I'd imagine these possible fake out deaths would feel really cheap. The only people we've seen cheat death in a conclusive way either worked out terribly (Khal Drago) or is clearly one of the biggest exceptions we've been introduced to (the Brothers w/o Banners dude). I'm surprised the book readers seem so open to Jon or Stannis coming back in some way. Is stuff like this more prevalent in the books than what we've seen in the show?

Just a lot more hinting with Jon. Stannis is likely dead but as many have stated, this show doesn't really hold its punches, so to show him dying in that way would be out of character for the writers.

Just a lot more hinting with Jon. Stannis is likely dead but as many have stated, this show doesn't really hold its punches, so to show him dying in that way would be out of character for the writers.

We did not get on screen deaths for the Hound or Syrio Forel.

• Like 1

There is one MAJOR character in the books who was resurrected after death, but 1.we've barely glimpsed them at all, and there's heavy hinting that they might have Come Back Wrong; and 2.for whatever reason, the show has gone out of its way to avoid even mentioning that whole storyline, even going so far as to change around what some other main characters are doing so that they don't come into contact with this character like they did in the books. There's also another few characters who have gotten killed off in the show who are oddly still alive in the books, mostly inconsequential D-listers, but at least one or two who do seem like they should've been important in the future.

And no, it ain't Jon or the Hound or Stannis. People think they're not dead for various reasons, mostly vague hints and circumstantial rumors in the first two cases, but with Stannis it's a really weird situation because the last couple of episodes are flatly contradicted by stuff that happened in the last book (and even in some released preview chapter stuff from the next book). The stuff on the page and the stuff on the screen in that case seem mutually exclusive, so nobody really has any idea what the hell is going on.

(I would say it's safe to assume that Syrio Forel is dead; we've never seen him again, he was too minor a character to have some Big Reveal of still being alive, and it's not like he was a Faceless Man who could still be someone else in disguise, since Jaqen specifically said that Dancing Masters were different from them.)

We didn't see Stannis' head separated from his body, so he might still be alive. Well, we didn't see Ned Stark's head actually falling off either. We did see it on a spike the next week, but they cut away from the beheading.

The Hound might be still alive, but I doubt he has any impact on the story going forward.

Jon on the other hand... There have actually been a few decent hints on the show as well. It's not just the books.

That's more of a book thing. You get the story from different POVs and a certain character observes a dude who might be the Hound.

To me it reads more like a hidden happy ending than a major plot point.