DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

Down to zero characters anyone cares about. Well done.

Well, I for one don't think Stannis is dead, and I don't think Jon will stay dead.

I also don't think we were supposed to view Sansa and Reek as leaping to their death. I assumed they were going to land in a big snowbank or something.

From that high up? And with the snow melting? I'm sure they will show up next season and that will just be another dumb thing to happen in a long line of them. Unless something magical was protecting them, they should be dead. If they do live, their legs need to be shattered.

Not just that, if they jumped into a snowbank expecting to live, then that needs to be a really deep snowbank with light snow. So then that begs the question, how do they manage to get out of it? If they manage to make the impossible climb out of snow that is several feet deep, how do they not die of hypothermia with their clothes soaked, where do they go, and what do they eat?

Not just that, if they jumped into a snowbank expecting to live, then that needs to be a really deep snowbank with light snow. So then that begs the question, how do they manage to get out of it? If they manage to make the impossible climb out of snow that is several feet deep, how do they not die of hypothermia with their clothes soaked, where do they go, and what do they eat?

Happens all the time in Russia.

• Like 1

Well with any luck, Stansa lands on Reek, cushioning her fall and killing him in the process.

But seriously, I'm not necessarily saying it makes a lot of sense, just that they won't be dead. (Or at least Sansa won't be, for sure).

As to where they go, I'm assuming they meet up with Brienne and Stannis. But who knows?

I can see them landing in a cart full of hay, being driven by Pod.

This would explain Brienne being there to get Stannis got.  Two birds one stone.  Honor commitment to Catelyn Stark & avenge Renley.

That shit is the fucking best, Chester.

If Jon had pulled an Undertaker and sat up with his eyes glowing with ice blue light as the latest White Walker, I'd have lost my shit.   An Emmy-award winning episode from an otherwise lackluster season.  Million billion stars.

There would me more than the usual FUK DIS SHOW posts from the betrayed faithful.  There would have been multiple suicides,.. 

• Like 1

Re: Sansa - I definitely thought they were just leaping into a snow bank to make their escape. If suicide was the goal, we just saw Ramsey's psycho ex go splat. It makes no sense that they'd pick that spot except for hope they'd survive the jump. On youtube there's tons of vids from like Boston of goofy kids jumping out windows/roofs into comfy snow banks and this is a fantasy show...

What irks me is that their "satisfying conclusion" to Sansa torture is "oh she runs away." Yippee. I think why I hated this ep is none of the conclusions were remotely satisfying.

Arya trains for a year to become an assassin, she finally assassinates someone then mystical bullshit turns her into Daredevil. Stannis plans a siege for like 3 seasons, brutally murders his daughter to do it and instead of living with that shame for years to come he gets wiped out in 30 seconds and beheaded. And I already mentioned how frustrated I am with Dany's Invasion Of Infinite Postponement.

I appreciate the book readers who explained the Jon Snow/Night's a Watch deal - I see the problem is in the books Jon's fall is a series of questionable choices while the show made it all about the Wildlings. But I'm watching the show and I have to take the show at face value. And to me there is still ZERO sense in them not seeing the Albino Ice Zombies are gonna fuck all them up if they don't band together. Sam saw them, a portion of Jon's men saw them, all the Wildling refugees saw them...if the Night's Watch aren't concerned by now they're just indescribably dumb - and as I said questionable choices I can understand but not utter stupidity.

Re: Sansa - I definitely thought they were just leaping into a snow bank to make their escape. If suicide was the goal, we just saw Ramsey's psycho ex go splat. It makes no sense that they'd pick that spot except for hope they'd survive the jump. On youtube there's tons of vids from like Boston of goofy kids jumping out windows/roofs into comfy snow banks and this is a fantasy show...

What irks me is that their "satisfying conclusion" to Sansa torture is "oh she runs away." Yippee. I think why I hated this ep is none of the conclusions were remotely satisfying.

Arya trains for a year to become an assassin, she finally assassinates someone then mystical bullshit turns her into Daredevil. Stannis plans a siege for like 3 seasons, brutally murders his daughter to do it and instead of living with that shame for years to come he gets wiped out in 30 seconds and beheaded. And I already mentioned how frustrated I am with Dany's Invasion Of Infinite Postponement.

I appreciate the book readers who explained the Jon Snow/Night's a Watch deal - I see the problem is in the books Jon's fall is a series of questionable choices while the show made it all about the Wildlings. But I'm watching the show and I have to take the show at face value. And to me there is still ZERO sense in them not seeing the Albino Ice Zombies are gonna fuck all them up if they don't band together. Sam saw them, a portion of Jon's men saw them, all the Wildling refugees saw them...if the Night's Watch aren't concerned by now they're just indescribably dumb - and as I said questionable choices I can understand but not utter stupidity.

To the credit of the show, I don't think anyone who participated in the stabbing have actually seen a White Walker.  Another issue is that many of the members of the Night's Watch have been fighting the Wildlings for most of their lives and they can't look past that.  It's easy to tell someone that they shouldn't hate a group of people, but people don't really work like that.  Telling Ollie that he should forgive some people who killed his parents and ate them isn't going to go over well no matter how many zombies are coming.  There are a lot of complaints from the season, but the stuff at the wall isn't very high on the list for me.

And I already mentioned how frustrated I am with Dany's Invasion Of Infinite Postponement.

I don't think it is frustrating.   As a dude with a Poli Sci minor, I actually appreciate Dany's epic journey through leadership.  She is figuring out that being a good conqueror and being a good ruler are two entirely different things.  You can be a stern ruler without being a total despot.

She has the unenviable challenge of restoring Targaryen rule to the Iron Throne without the taint of her psychotic father and brother's legacies attached to the family name.

Her dragons are way too small to conquer jackshit right now.

Not to mention that she's borderline hated by her subjects, but Tyrion will help fix with being less Targeryan and more Mother of Dragons.

To the credit of the show, I don't think anyone who participated in the stabbing have actually seen a White Walker. 

Yeah, exactly. Everyone who went North with Mormont and saw the army of the dead storm the Fist of the First Men either died in that battle, died in the rebellion at Craster's Keep, died in the Battle at the Wall, or is Samwell Tarly or Dolorous Edd Tollett (the guy who went to Hardhome with Jon. Don't think anyone who hasn't read the books knows his name). Who were the only friends Jon had left, and didn't join in with the stabbing.

OK, I am curious because this has become a little side discussion in the Maesters thread. Who needs to die in GoT? Who cannot die until the very end? 

Throughout the entire story, these people need/needed to die...

Joffrey - Check

Stannis - Check

Ramsey & Roose

The Freys
Cersei

I feel these people need to last until the end, including Jon Snow who I do not believe is dead dead...

Jon Snow

Dany
Arya

Tyrion

Everyone else is expendable in my view. 

OK, I am curious because this has become a little side discussion in the Maesters thread. Who needs to die in GoT? Who cannot die until the very end? 

Throughout the entire story, these people need/needed to die...

Joffrey - Check

Stannis - Check

Ramsey & Roose

The Freys

Cersei

I feel these people need to last until the end, including Jon Snow who I do not believe is dead dead...

Jon Snow

Dany

Arya

Tyrion

Everyone else is expendable in my view. 

There are a decent amount of people I like and I can't disagree with your list at all. Only those four need to live. Everyone else either has to die or is expendable.

I'd swap Sansa with Arya on your "cannot die" list. The thing with Arya is from what I've seen GoT tends to take the view that those who seek vengeance are destined to wind up dead. She'll create havoc for awhile but to me Sansa has morphed into the far more sympathetic/heroic figure.

• Like 1

I'd swap Sansa with Arya on your "cannot die" list. The thing with Arya is from what I've seen GoT tends to take the view that those who seek vengeance are destined to wind up dead. She'll create havoc for awhile but to me Sansa has morphed into the far more sympathetic/heroic figure.

Somehow, I would have to agree with that. I just haven't been that elated with her storyline arc for this season. It feels too much like Arya Stark: Year One, but a regression of her character. They took us around the world and back just for her to kill Ser Meryn Trant. You couldn't have done this...two seasons ago?

My argument isn't even that they have to live. They just have to be there in the end... like Season 7 episodes 9 and 10. I have a bad feeling that Tyrion doesn't live but he does something super heroic in his final act like killing the Nights King only to get stepped on bu Wun Wun. 

As for Sansa, I think the killing of her direwolf, Lady, is some weird foreshadowing. She betrayed her family and won't be one of the wolves to last and will never live to be the Lady of her house. Arya, like Nymeria, is out in the wild as this lone wolf. Rickon, with Shaggydog, is up north somewhere growing a beard and living like a wildling. Jon Snow's going to be revived and will appear as a Ghost to those who thought he was dead. Bran, with his dog Summer, has the key to ending winter. Seriously, this whole story is the story of "How John met Dany". 

Arya I can see fucking some shit up and stealing scenes until the very end but I think someone will put a sword through her eventually.  It's her destiny. 

Honestly, you named Tyrion too and as much as I love the dude and the character I think he'll see his day also. 

The only two I think need to be there until Season 7: episode 10 are Jon and Dany.  I truly believe this is their story.